Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Dignitary

Post 17 Aug 2011, 8:33 am

Randy, I was just commenting on the actual positions right now. I did look at the schedules and of NY, PHI, DC, and COL, NY has the easiest schedule, but they are also the worst team. And it's not like DC has been near the top the entire season. I picked them to with the conference. So I'm not down on them. But they're still only in 5th with the streak they've been on.

I think they'll make it in.
Dignitary

Post 17 Aug 2011, 2:54 pm

RUFFHAUS 8 wrote:Well, I guess saying it again isn't going to make a dent, is it? If all temas had played the same number of games you could analize where the are right now. DC United has at least one game in hand on everyone, and two or more on some others ahead of them. And if that one game is a win (tonight), then they are not in fifth place anymore (techically they are in 6th place now). Furthermore with two games in hand on division leading Columbus, they are potentially one point out of first place. Now if they go drop points to last place Chicago tonight, then the games in hand obviously matters a little bit less.

No, but the games in hand were considered when I looked at it. Admittedly, I've been sparse with my methodology, but that's because I didn't have the numbers written down. Basically I looked at points per game, and remaining schedules. DC ws in 4th in PPG when I looked at it, but out of the playoffs because of the western conference. Anyway, here's what the standings are in ppg as of today:

Team - PPG x GR
Columbus 1.542 X
Philadelphia 1.478
DC 1.364
Kansas City 1.304
Houston 1.292
New York 1.240

We will most likely get 1 and maybe 2 wildcard teams because a lot of the western conference teams have concacaf matches intertwined with league matches. But with the new wildcard format, there is no guarantee that any eastern conference teams will make it. That said, the Union Columbus have the safest positions in the conference. There is a larger gap between the Union and DC in PPG than between any two other neighboring teams on that list. That's significant 2/3 of the way through the season. I see no reason the Union can't continue that trend.

So as of now, DC and KC are the most likely candidates for a wildcard. But if you look
The teams to watch out for in the Western conference are Chivas, Portland, and RSL. The Union and United both play all three. Columbus plays almost strictly eastern conference teams. So they could run away with it early--especially if they get separation from the Union this weekend. If not, their games will be more important and come October, they could be difficult for teams struggling for a wildcard.

The reason I said sooner rather than later is because of the nature of their schedule. 7 of their remaining games are away (there's your one in hand). This game against KC is huge for DC, particularly if they come away from Chicago with anything less than 3 points. After Portland (that field is much more difficult than you realize), you have an extremely difficult september/october, including road matches in philly, columbus, and seattle, only to finish against the primary team you'll be fighting for that 3rd spot with--unless KC drops off, which could happen.

While the Union/Columbus game is big for both teams, it's not as vital. But you and KC are vying for the last guaranteed spot. So from the Union's perspective, the games between DC, KC, HOU, and NY are only going to help us. Dropping one spot doesn't hurt. Dropping 2 or 3 is highly unlikely. Dropping out of the playoffs would require an implosion. Not gonna happen.
Dignitary

Post 21 Aug 2011, 10:10 am

I am pissed. I missed the Union/Crew game last night. For some reason I had it in my mind as being on tonight. It wasn't until I looked at the paper this morning to see it was last night.
Dignitary

Post 22 Aug 2011, 8:43 am

I got to see the replay of the game yesterday afternoon. Looks like the officiating lost the game for the Union again. What a crappy hands call.

I agree Randy. Not just Crew and KC. Houston is now above us as well. We dropped from a strong second to 5th just based on giving up the points on that game.

And I am sorry Jeff, I still think Paunovic is not a great player. He definitely shouldn't be playing the full 90 minutes.
Dignitary

Post 24 Aug 2011, 1:46 pm

Well I was hoping we'd get a draw out of that game. The handball call was lame, but it is what it is.

The Union are 4th in the standings, with 2 games in hand on Houston and and 1 on KC.They have another game with KC, and have beaten Houston 2-1 on aggregate. They have a better Goal differential than both teams. I'm not worried. If the Union don't come out of the New England match with a win, then I'll start worrying.

I never said he was a great player. He's been really key for us lately, and our best bet to win, but I didn't say he was great.
Dignitary

Post 31 Aug 2011, 5:49 pm

September is going to be fun. I've about lost my mind with the 2 week break Union fans have had. Now it's 6 league matches in the month. Yikes. This is where the Union show if they are able to overcome their inexperience. Beyond Califf and Carroll, there is very little playoff (or playoff-hunt) experience among the rest of the team. Now Mondragon isn't necessarily a concern in that area, but the rest of the team is.

Right now both Philly and DC look to have solid shots at the playoffs. It's just a matter of taking it or not. We'll see!

You're right to mention the Champions league. It's going to have an impact on some of those bubble teams on the west coast. Not to mention, with the controversy about home field advantage, there might be some chippiness in the US Open Cup.

Heck, my early season predictions aren't looking too bad pulling into the stretch run...
Dignitary

Post 08 Sep 2011, 8:39 am

What the hell was that game last night. I didn't get to start watching it until almost 9 because of my daughter's back to school night. I turned it on in stoppage time of the first half and it was 4-1. I was so disgusted I turned on the Republican debate to watch. When I flipped back to the game after the debate it was stoppage time in the second half (7minutes?!?!?!?!) and the score was 4-4. Looks like I missed a great game.
Dignitary

Post 09 Sep 2011, 6:34 pm

I got to watch most of the replay of the game (wife turned it off with 10 minutes left in regular time of the 2nd half to put our girls to bed) and I was right. It was a great game. I also think the score didn't reflect the level of play from the Union. It really looked to me like the Union really controlled most if not all of the game. I think if Mondragon had been in the game the score would have been 4 -2 (I think he would have stopped goals 3 and 4).

However, I still think it is a mistake having Paunavic and Miglioranzi in the starting line up. I still think Mwanga, Adu, Le Toux and Nakazawa should all be in the starting lineup and then use the other two as late game subs for a fresh pair of legs.
Dignitary

Post 15 Sep 2011, 5:02 pm

That whole week was a mess. New players. 3 games, reserve matches as well. They've signed a couple of young players from harrisburg, so I hope that helps. Some of our guys like Torres and Mwanga have been playing in them. Our squad is really small.

But you are right. It was a good game, minus the 3 defensive lapses and the terrible pk calls. The next 3 games will tell us whether the Union are playoff ready or not, in my opinion. Columbus, KC and DC. No less than 5 points, but I hope we can get 6 or 7.
Dignitary

Post 28 Sep 2011, 3:08 pm

I am not sure about the Union. They have 5 games yet and I still don't think they have a set lineup yet. They play a half of great soccer and then follow it up with a horrible half, or vice versa. Sometimes I just want to pull my hair out. I guess it depends on which team shows up. If it is the team of the second half against the Revolution, I can see them getting 6pts. However, if it is the first half of that same game, they will be lucky to get 2pts.

Also, I have really come this dislike J.P. Dellacamera (sic) as an announcer.
Dignitary

Post 29 Sep 2011, 4:45 pm

I didn't know about Pontius. I was wondering why he isn't starting. But Nowak is starting about 5 defensive midfielders and Le Toux. I'm not expecting any goals until the second half, but we'll see.

Starting XI for tonight's 8pm match vs. DC: MacMath; G. Farfan, Califf, Valdes, Williams; M. Farfan, Carroll, Okugo, Torres; Paunovic, Le Toux

United: Hamid; Kitchen, White, McDonald, Burch; Najar, Simms, King, da Luz; De Rosario, Wolff
Dignitary

Post 29 Sep 2011, 4:57 pm

Russ, no Dellacamera on tonights game. It's on ESPN2, so it will be the other guys.
Dignitary

Post 29 Sep 2011, 7:00 pm

Unfortunately, my 3yr old decided to put up a fight going to bed tonight. It was 9:30 before I was able to get her down for good (and that is starting at 7:30) so I missed the game. I am hoping there is a replay on some time.
Dignitary

Post 29 Sep 2011, 7:32 pm

espn3.com

if you have an xbox, you can watch it on there.

*nothing added. i just spaced the thoughts for clarity
Dignitary

Post 08 Oct 2011, 9:58 am

Appreciate your graciousness. I'll have to say I've been disappointed with DC's response. They still have a good shot, but it seems like they're shooting themselves in the foot.