Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Dignitary

Post 11 May 2011, 6:47 pm

Jeff,

They are playing the DOOP at Flyers games after a score.
Dignitary

Post 14 May 2011, 7:40 pm

Ok, the Union is getting very frustrating to watch. They clearly have the players to be a strong team. We saw that in the last 5 minutes against the Galaxy on Wednesday and again against FC Dallas tonight. For the first 30 minutes they controlled the game. Then Dallas scored a goal and they fell apart.

For some thoughts on some individual players. I have been very underwhelmed by Carlos Ruiz. I don't know if it is because nobody is feeding him well or just his playing style but he really seems that whenever he gets in the box, he is more interested in drawing a foul then in actually playing the ball. Let's see a little more hustle trying to get to the ball and less of the pussy pansy crap of trying to draw a foul.

Also, what they hell does Novak play Justin Mapp. I mean the guy sucks. He has no hustle. He seems unwilling to take the shot. I have seen him with the ball in the box with nobody between him and the goalie and he passes it. He regularly gets beat on the ball. Honestly, I think I would rather seem Novak play one of the rookie Farfan brothers instead of Mapp.

I am still big on Torres, like Danny Califf a lot and getting really big on Sheanon Williams. I love his long throw in. Though some times I think he needs to mix it up a little bit. If he alway's goes for the long throw in the other side knows to look for it.

I know I'm still a novice at this but I am curious as to what Jeff and Randy think about the above.
Dignitary

Post 16 May 2011, 7:36 pm

I'm glad they lost 2-0. On the other hand, they did complete an eight day, cross country, three game stretch. But something needs to shake up. I was also glad to see Nowak do a little of that, but I don't think he responded necessarily the right way.

In fact, his starting lineup was almost exactly what I was hoping for. It just came at a terrible time, with Mondragon clearly not near 100%. Okugo on the wing really piqued my interest. I would be happy never to see Ruiz play again. I'd be REALLY stoked if his brother gave my brother his shirt back. lol.

But before I continue on my rant, I agree with what both of you said. I'm not as down on Mapp, particularly because he was huge for us last year. He can still play, and I don't think he's the largest of our concerns. In fact, I think he does his best when playing opposite Torres, they switch up a lot and he seems to react to Roger's youthfulness. I don't expect star play out of him, but his veteran presence is good.

In fact, I prefer when he plays more slowly. I think that our 'hot potato' style is why we don't score. We're best at free kicks. We got them last year, but we rarely get a decent free kick within 40 yards. In other words, we pass too much. It's one-touch city until they launch it downfield. The defenders don't need to move! We don't have the speed for that type of a target game. We need someone in the middle who can carry the ball for more than 3 seconds, so Mwanga can get into position.
Dignitary

Post 16 May 2011, 7:39 pm

Ok, the reply field started acting wonky.

On Sheanon Williams: I love the kid, plain and simple. He had a really tough time with Shea, but never collapsed. He was one of my favorites last year. When they got him at rb, it was a god-send. That position was awful when it was arrieta, then committee.

Torres is another one of my favorites. He was instrumental in our first ever goal, and he's got loads of potential.

Valdes and Califf could be the best center back tandem in MLS. Now if we could just take some damn pressure off their backs...
Dignitary

Post 19 May 2011, 6:08 pm

I fear our squads are in a similar predicament right now. But the season's still young. I think the Boskovic quiet has more to do with timing than anything else. The issue's been raised, so the "topic" is now "what to do," instead of "here's the problem."

I agree that the refereeing is atrocious, but I'm not sure how you fix it. If you force them to be more strict, you penalize teams that play clean but aggressive soccer. To me, the best option is to levy fines on the teams for egregious actions by players--in addition to sanctions on the players themselves. Make it financially difficult for dirty players to get contracts. The dirty players will show themselves over time. But people break legs in ever league. I don't think that MLS has a much larger problem than any other league. Remember, the league is in a transition phase.

There are more games, more teams, more travel, and more talent than ever before. Given the pace of MLS games, some of the older style players don't belong. Ultimately, I think the problem will correct itself, but a little financial engineering wouldn't hurt.
Dignitary

Post 21 May 2011, 7:14 pm

RUFFHAUS 8 wrote: I'm not a fan of protecting stars by holdign them to a different standard, but the referees have to wake up and stop allowing the few truly talented players the leage has from intentional thuggery.

Do you think this could be a reaction to the overly obnoxious dramatics you see in some of the European leagues. From what I saw during the World Cup, some of the players would take dive and writh around on the ground if a butterfly wing brushed them in an attempt to draw the penalty.

After all, the league is trying to build a fanbase in a nation that likes American Football and Hockey. Nothing would turn the American sports fan off then those kinds of fake injury dramatics. Is it possible American Ref's are willing to let there be a little rougher play in order to avoid that crap?
Dignitary

Post 21 May 2011, 9:43 pm

That was an exciting game to watch tonight. A lot of aggressive play, some really good crosses and it was good to see they didn't fall apart after the Fire scored a goal. Honestly, I think the best thing that happened was Okuga getting hurt in the 2nd minute of the game. Having Michael Farfan in seemed like the best thing that could have happened. Justin Mapp really stepped up tonight. I am wondering if having a hard charger like Farfan had any effect on that.
Dignitary

Post 23 May 2011, 11:02 am

Great game. To be honest, I think that game is more valuable than if they had blown out the other team. They played very well. And looky, looky, they scored off of two free kicks! I feel like a genius after that game.

Why do you think Okugo getting hurt was good? The change of mentality, or something else? Nakazawa replaced him, so I'm not sure if you thought Farfan did.

Sheanon Williams is getting better and better each game. He isn't the fastest player out there, but I'll bet he turns some heads when Everton comes to town (Madrid is not likely to be impressed with any of our players. lol).

Mapp seems to respond to the wingers he plays opposite of. So, yes. I'm sure Farfan had in impact on his style.
Ambassador

Post 27 May 2011, 2:56 am

I've never called you a racist, Randy. Kindly, will you retract?

Generally we in the UK don't like diving, but the assumption is that it's been a foreign import. The style of play in England tends to be pretty 'robust' compared to Mediterranean nations.
Dignitary

Post 28 May 2011, 9:48 pm

Guapo wrote:Why do you think Okugo getting hurt was good? The change of mentality, or something else? Nakazawa replaced him, so I'm not sure if you thought Farfan did.

I think I did think Farfan was the sub and Nakazawa was a starter. However, the point is still the same. Nakazawa, imho, is better the Okugo.

Tonights game was freaking amazing. I understand that TFC is not a good team this year but 6 goals is great. I am also thinking Novak may have found a good starting Midfield with Mapp, Nakazawa, Carroll and one of the Farfans.
Dignitary

Post 30 May 2011, 8:01 am

Well, I don't think it's an issue of better/worse. Okugo is a defensive midfielder. He was center back last year. I think what you're seeing is more that we're not playing two defensive midfielders anymore. With an extra man forward, we have more options--instead of playing 3 strikers.

It will be interesting to see how we do while Ruiz is at the Gold Cup. We didn't seem to need him this weekend. :)

Randy, I was in shock watching that game yesterday. The referee's insistence on giving portland pk after pk was ridiculous. Glad DC won, though. Portland is annoying.
Dignitary

Post 31 May 2011, 2:06 pm

I noticed they gave the 3rd attempt to Jewsbury. I didn't notice that he got subbed out. That's hilarious. I'm with you that the original call was a joke. Kenny Cooper falls down like a house of cards. I've heard others say that his propensity to dive is one of the reasons he never turned into a great player.

I think you're right about the makeup call. There was a handball, but it didn't look intentional to me. To be honest, I was confused at first because I thought there was a foul on that end.

Is DCU losing anyone to the Gold Cup? Carlos Ruiz will be not-scoring for Guatemala, but that's all that the Union are losing.
Dignitary

Post 20 Jun 2011, 1:07 pm

After the Union's loss to the worst team in the league this weekend, I have to ask why is Nowak still farting around with his line. He seemed to have a really good line the last few games so why the hell did he seat Mwanga for Veljko Paunović. You guys that follow the International leagues can tell me if he is supposed to be good. Because to be honest, I was seriously underwhelmed by him.

Also, the officiating in the last two games was horrible. Not only did the ref seem to miss a lot of penalties in both games, but I think the first off-sides on the Union against RSL was bad. It cost them a goal and possibly the 3pts
Dignitary

Post 22 Jun 2011, 12:16 pm

RUFFHAUS 8 wrote:Sorry Russ, but I'm not familiar with Veljko Paunovic. It sounds like someone that Nowak found through his eastern European contacts at first glance. Has the guy had much time with the team?.

I think he was an recent acquisition. According to wikipedia he just joined the team (June, 2011) with a long history playing in Europe (mostly Spain) and has been off since 2008. The biggest problem from what I could see is that even though he was a forward, he was playing so deep he was acting more like midfielder. This left Le Toux as pretty much the loan attacker.
Dignitary

Post 22 Jun 2011, 8:00 pm

He was born in Aug '77 so that puts him two months from 34. Apparently he had a try out with the Red Bulls in 2009 but turned down the offer of a 1 year deal.

I was really beginning to like Peter Nowak but I don't understand it. He played Paunovik again tonight against SKC. Danny Muwanga wasn't even dressed. And again they couldn't beat the 2nd worst team in the MLS.