Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Dignitary

Post 01 Nov 2013, 7:01 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:I had no idea football was so complex. Three different competitions in the same season? Good night!

U.S. does the same thing. During the regular season each league (MLS, NASL, USL Pro as well as the tier 4 & tier 5 leagues) has their in league games. The there is the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup which is open to all professional and amateur league teams. There is the CONCACAF Champion's League and then every 2 years there is the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

There are also a host of secondary rivalry cups such as the Brimstone Cup, between Dallas FC and Chicago Fire, or the Carolina Challenge Cup, which is a 4 team competition hosted by the Charleston Battery of the USL Pro league and includes MLS and USL Pro teams.
Ambassador

Post 04 Nov 2013, 3:53 pm

danivon wrote:
Doctor Fate wrote:Iirc, Liverpool was a preseason favorite. I do know they are in third place. I know their goalie made a spectacular save early in the season (first or second game). I know we've not played as well over the past few weeks as we did after the opening debacle.

So, to me, there's already a LOT of pressure.
Well, LFC are often rated preseason but since the late 80s have flattered to deceive. This year they have started well and have good potential. And of course a win at the weekend could put them top.

Arsenal have not played well but are still unbeaten for several league games so in a sense this is a clash of the form clubs. But a draw would be the worst outcome, with Chelsea in prime postion to go top.

We got the win!

A sidenote: there has been a dramatic transformation. I had to DVR the game. When I got to it, I missed the first 29 minutes. Why? Because they were showing the Red Sox celebration. I was livid--and I like the Sox!

I have to say, I really enjoy the announcers too. One of the Gunners grabbed a Liverpool player to prevent a "fastbreak." The announcer said, "Well, that was a cynical foul, wasn't it?"

One would never hear a call like that in American sports. Brilliant.
Ambassador

Post 04 Nov 2013, 3:59 pm

Do you watch with English commentators or American?
Ambassador

Post 04 Nov 2013, 4:17 pm

danivon wrote:Do you watch with English commentators or American?

They are English.
Ambassador

Post 04 Nov 2013, 4:25 pm

Cool. The jargon may take a while to get used to, along with the mangling of the language.
Ambassador

Post 04 Nov 2013, 4:31 pm

danivon wrote:Cool. The jargon may take a while to get used to, along with the mangling of the language.

I actually find it refreshing. I was fortunate enough to grow up in LA with Chick Hearn doing the Lakers' broadcasts. He used to make up so many terms and throw in word pictures . . . I think it helped me prep for this. I actually find the announcers quite fun.
Statesman

Post 05 Nov 2013, 7:17 am

danicon
Cool. The jargon may take a while to get used to, along with the mangling of the language.

There is an economy of language used by English commentators that one rarely hears in North America. They don't seem to need to fill the air with descriptive language or comments every minute. Even when there is only one announcer, as was often the case for years ...
All broadcasts into Canada, including all the World Cup broadcasts use the English commentators. I remember watching the U17 Womens WC from Azerbajian with a sole English commentator... And he was superb. Its also interesting to hear a complete neutral broadcast to the entire world. Its an entirely unique perspective one gets, after being used to homers in everything else.
Compared to the Canadians who do the Canadian national teams or the MSL its head and shoulders.
You may not know how good you have it.
Statesman

Post 04 Dec 2013, 3:57 pm

ruffhaus
Imagining what Martinez would do with the Man United roster is like imagining what you and I would do with it.

But one no longer has to wonder what he could do against Man U. Everton wins away at Man U for the first time since 92.
And making the imagining of Martinez at Man U somewhat easier...

ruffhaus
. Suarez is a great player, but he's a lunatic. He's a time bomb waiting to go off at any time
And today he went off for 4 making 15 for the year.. Making the Arsenal offer appear ludicrous and his performance to date fully justifying Rodgers handling of him, and faith in him.
Ambassador

Post 05 Dec 2013, 3:06 am

RUFFHAUS 8 wrote:
danivon wrote:You clearly undervalue marriage, Randy.

Coming from the guy just off his honeymoon, I would hope and expect to hear that. Check back with me in a dozen years on that. I truly hope you feel the same way... but I wouldn't bet on it!

Well aren't you just the little ray of sunshine? We may have just got married 6 months ago, but we've been living together for 12 years, and not much has changed. Maybe you should not judge the institution merely by your own experience.

And that preceding post? A shame that the substance of it is completely overshadowed by your pottymouth. 4 effins? That's one for every Suarez goal. :wink:
Ambassador

Post 05 Dec 2013, 7:49 pm

So, how about them Gunners!

My favorite moment was when Giroud took the ball from the Southampton goalie. I'm pretty sure that's something that should not happen after middle school.

I know the season is far from over, but I'm optimistic.

The funny thing is I'm really starting to see the value in not having playoffs. It really makes the regular season games infinitely more important.
Emissary

Post 06 Dec 2013, 2:31 pm

So what do we make of the WC draw ? Personally I'm pleased with England's tough draw. Chances are we'll struggle but you never know, we often play better in the bigger games. Even if we do end up going out in the group phase at least we'll have some big games to look forward to, which is what the WC is all about. USA will have to take that positive too, because you guys seem to have been really shafted this year.
Adjutant

Post 06 Dec 2013, 3:14 pm

Well, we have to beat Ghana, probably. After that, get a draw against Portugal. Hopefully, Portugal and Ghana draw and Germany beats everyone. There, we're through!
Ambassador

Post 06 Dec 2013, 3:44 pm

freeman3 wrote:Well, we have to beat Ghana, probably. After that, get a draw against Portugal. Hopefully, Portugal and Ghana draw and Germany beats everyone. There, we're through!

The US v. Portugal match is going to be in the Amazon jungle. I don't know if that will have any impact, but it might.

I think Freeman's right--this is the best way to get through. It's going to be very tough.
Emissary

Post 06 Dec 2013, 4:30 pm

Embrace it. Last WC we both had a tedious group with a lot of uninviting fixtures. This time we both have groups packed with exciting ties. That's a bonus so far as I'm concerned. It's supposed to be difficult.
Ambassador

Post 16 Dec 2013, 10:12 am

There were four other national teams who were not seeded but had a higher ranking than the USA. By definition, then, it was not 'by the slimmest of margins' that they were not. The Netherlands were ranked 8 and were only not seeded because Brazil were as hosts.

If FIFA used a better ranking system, it is not guaranteed that the US would be seeded. The ELO rankings show them in 13th. But England would have been seeded. To be honest, the main reason our FIFA ranking is low is a combination of mediocre results in WC qualifying and a poor choice of friendly opponents.

England's draw is disappointing not for being a tough group, which it is, or for having to play in Manaus, which sucks,.but because the two major teams there play negatively, and England do not play attractive football either.

The USA are at least in a group where some potentially great games are in store.
Last edited by danivon on 16 Dec 2013, 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.