Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 27 Aug 2013, 9:01 am

SLOTerp wrote:Thanks for cleaning up the games! Er... however... I was referring to the announcements forum here:

http://www.redscape.com/viewforum.php?f=27

There are game announcements in there almost two years old. I'd like to advertise my game at WebDip but not until some housecleaning gets done!
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 07 Mar 2014, 7:29 am

Brad or Neal,

Any news or thoughts on Redscape's future? I'm not sure if there is a strategy in place to revitalize the site or if you're acting as caretakers for the time being. I am certainly not critical of the latter, if that's what it is, - absolutely 100% better than no Redscape at all.

If it is a caretaker situation right now (that's my guess), what will it take for a real renewal?

Redscape has advantages in one area: PBEM. The forums are fantastic (some design issues aside) and are perfect for the format - posting of turns, public comments and interaction, the ability to look in on games you're not playing, and I'm sure some other things I haven't thought of. I think with some cleaning up - the red has got to go - we could generate a bit more traffic. It will never be like it was a decade ago but, like all things tech-based, we shouldn't try to return to the past. More Diplomacy variants, yes, but maybe a home for other games that work well in the format. Christine's GoT, Civ, Kingmaker - there's tons of stuff that lends itself well to the format with lots of aids for GM's. Go to Vassal and look at all the games that are supported - incredible.

Time is rather scarce for me but I'm going to try and learn how to use the Vassal engine (I'm a tech nincompoop) and offer a different game. Which one, I don't know yet, but I'll try.

I suppose one other thing we need is someone who knows how to code these forums. We certainly miss Chad's ability to do so (with his one misfire being on the design side) but somebody else must be out there with a passion for Diplomacy and the skills we need. Yes, money can buy the coding but I know the revenue is simply not there.

FYI - this whole train of thought arose due to the difficulty of finding a player replacement in Dip. Mission. Very frustrating. Fortunately, Freeman stepped up as a stopgap and for that, I am very thankful.

Thanks for listening and please don't take this as criticism of any sort. Without you fellas, there would be no Redscape, and you have my utmost gratitude for what you have done.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 07 Mar 2014, 2:29 pm

Feeling nostalgic, I looked at the way back machine. This was 11 years ago: https://web.archive.org/web/20030515200 ... net/forum/

Look at all the games that were being played! I see someone was beta testing Dune. There's one with possibility & I even have the board game for reference.
Dignitary

Post 07 Mar 2014, 4:00 pm

SLOTerp wrote:Feeling nostalgic, I looked at the way back machine. This was 11 years ago: https://web.archive.org/web/20030515200 ... net/forum/

Look at all the games that were being played! I see someone was beta testing Dune. There's one with possibility & I even have the board game for reference.

Holy cow! I didn't remember how many games used to be played here, including the Monkey Cage "game."
Ambassador

Post 07 Mar 2014, 5:32 pm

I remember that King in Yellow ran a game or two of Serenissima back then. I actually asked him if he still had the files about a year ago. No luck. It was a lot of fun and I would love to run a game, but I don't have the skills to create a new map and pieces.

And, oddly enough, I was looking nostalgically at the Wayback Machine's Redscape archive today too. Remember the WWIV Formal variant ran back in 2002? SIXTY players!
Administrator

Post 07 Mar 2014, 7:35 pm

It is in caretaker status. Our tech guy charges, and the last upgrade to get it back in shape cost about $400.

I do play Vassal boards.

Resurrection? It is something that we do not do well asking for. $$$
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 07 Mar 2014, 10:22 pm

Completely understood, Brad. Kudos for keeping it alive!

So... just for fun I think I'll see if there is interest in something... out of the ordinary?

While Dune, Kingmaker, or another project like that would be too tall an order for me right now, I think I could handle something simpler. I know it's not anything near Diplomacy (except multiplayer) but it would be quick & fun: Speed Circuit.

The rules are easy & available: Rules. I can run the game at Vassal & pull the graphics for posting at Redscape.

Here's the Monza racetrack (1 of 3 available). I could blow up the charts & track later. If it really takes off there are WBC rules for tournament play.

If enough people post here or PM / email me, I can announce it in the new game forum. If not... well, it only cost me a few hours.

Ambassador

Post 15 Mar 2014, 6:27 pm

Redscape Games, Round 3 is finishing up. We brought a bunch of folks back (or in for the first time!), any thoughts on new games to be run to keep them from leaving again?

SuperAnt's NWO game features a lot of new folks, but eliminations tend to come quickly in that variant. I can't commit to running a game at this point, but I will see what I can do!
Dignitary

Post 16 Mar 2014, 8:51 pm

Well, let's just get a bunch of games set up and ready to go (I'm reminded of those old Andy Rooney movies in the '30s when the "kids" would decide on the spur of the moment to put together a variety show and turn out Broadway-quality production in a few days!). It would be great to announce 5 or more new games at one time.

Anyway, I'm willing to GM a game, perhaps a variant, such as Pericles, developed by our own Minister X some years ago and ported into RealPolitik.

By the way, does anybody have any experience developing variants for RP? I wonder how much time it takes, because there are some variants I'd like to have, but RP doesn't look like anything has been done to it in years and years!

George
Ambassador

Post 17 Mar 2014, 8:14 am

I think I can make a game happen. I'm prepping to offer an Ancient Med (5-player) variant in the near future.
Dignitary

Post 18 Mar 2014, 6:19 am

Kal wrote:I think I can make a game happen. I'm prepping to offer an Ancient Med (5-player) variant in the near future.

Great, Kal! It would make the most impact to have SEVERAL games introduced at the same time. So if others are willing to GM a game, let's coordinate and set a launch date, then do the posts. We could get BRAD to put together an "umbrella" announcement that is guaranteed to show up as the most "recent" post to help draw people into the Game Openings forum.

It doesn't have to be just DIP, of course!
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 18 Mar 2014, 6:31 am

Hey gang, I gotta sit out on GM'ing for a bit. Three standard games back-to-back has worn on me (Embassy, RG, Mission). I don't know how some of the folks around here find the time to run multiple games!

I am, however, keen on running the Speed Circuit game mentioned above. I'm joining a PBEM league to see how it goes. I've also started a game of The Russian Campaign through Vassal - it's amazing how many old war-games are supported there (even Diplomacy, I think).
Adjutant

Post 18 Mar 2014, 2:28 pm

It's been a while since I've GM'ed a game, but I'd be willing to if we are going to be starting a bunch of games at once.

Does anyone know the best (or any?) way to run RP on a Mac? Other than having a Windows proxy on your computer which I've never done before? I don't really like Jdip or any of the other programs.
Dignitary

Post 18 Mar 2014, 2:54 pm

theshrizzz wrote:It's been a while since I've GM'ed a game, but I'd be willing to if we are going to be starting a bunch of games at once.

Does anyone know the best (or any?) way to run RP on a Mac? Other than having a Windows proxy on your computer which I've never done before? I don't really like Jdip or any of the other programs.

There are others...?
Adjutant

Post 18 Mar 2014, 4:22 pm

Actually I just assumed there were others. Maybe there aren't.