Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Administrator

Post 17 Jun 2014, 5:53 am

I think I am between the two of you guys (SloTerp and Randy)
I do like hops but not THAT much hops, kind of like the three bears?

I was in the supermarket and they had beer sampling from a local brewer, one was crazy hopped and just tooooo much for me, I would guess Randy would hate it, SloTerp would love it and I was simply okay with it. And yes, Hops are a definite characteristic of a Vienna Lager (subtle hops, nothing overly hopped mind you) caramel roasted malt flavor is another. It's fine to not like it, it's fine to think it's a bit hoppier than you would like, but to claim it's not a Vienna Lager because you simply don't like it?? And lager = no hops????? Plenty of lagers are hoppy. (though generally, yes lagers are less hoppy than ales but Eliot Ness is not considered hoppy either ...27 IBU's is not heavily hopped by any means)
Ambassador

Post 17 Jun 2014, 1:57 pm

GMTom wrote:I think I am between the two of you guys (SloTerp and Randy)
I do like hops but not THAT much hops, kind of like the three bears?

I was in the supermarket and they had beer sampling from a local brewer, one was crazy hopped and just tooooo much for me, I would guess Randy would hate it, SloTerp would love it and I was simply okay with it. And yes, Hops are a definite characteristic of a Vienna Lager (subtle hops, nothing overly hopped mind you) caramel roasted malt flavor is another. It's fine to not like it, it's fine to think it's a bit hoppier than you would like, but to claim it's not a Vienna Lager because you simply don't like it?? And lager = no hops????? Plenty of lagers are hoppy. (though generally, yes lagers are less hoppy than ales but Eliot Ness is not considered hoppy either ...27 IBU's is not heavily hopped by any means)

SLOTerp is right, and so are you, Tom - Vienna Lager can have an IBU of up to 28 (I found here http://www.totalwine.com/eng/guide-to-b ... -lager.cfm that the range there is 18-28, so looks like the Devil's Backbone and the Elliot Ness are at the extreme ends of what can be Vienna Lager.

Wikipedia has the following entry in the "Lager" article:

Vienna or amber lager was developed by brewer Anton Dreher in Vienna in 1841. Austrian brewers who emigrated to Mexico in the late 19th century took the style with them. Vienna lager is a reddish-brown or copper-colored beer with medium body and slight malt sweetness. The malt aroma and flavor may have a toasted character.[9] Despite their name, Vienna lagers are generally uncommon in continental Europe today but can be found frequently in North America, where it is often called pre-Prohibition style amber lager (often shortened to "pre-Prohibition lager"), as the style was popular in pre-1919 America. Notable examples include Great Lakes Eliot Ness, Samuel Adams Boston Lager, Devils Backbone Vienna Lager, and Yuengling Traditional Lager. In Norway, the style has retained some of its former popularity, and is still brewed by most major breweries.

Not all 'lager' should lack a hoppy character. A decent Pilsner can be hoppy, as can Dunkel and the Oktoberfest beers. They tend to smell more hoppy than taste it, as they use noble hops, but there will be a taste. If a Vienna Lager is less 'smokey' then the hops will come through more, but if the malt roast taste is stronger it then that will obviously overwhelm any hops.
Administrator

Post 30 Jun 2014, 8:19 am

On Saturday I met up with SanDiego Smith and his family He was visiting for a wedding a couple hours away so my wife and I took his family on Finger Lakes a wine tour. It was a lot of fun and boy are they nice people! Anyways, why is this in the beer thread?
We of course finished at a brew pub for a nice lunch.
Rooster Fish Brewing was a neat little place with some pretty good food,
I had an Amber (Mysterious Amber) that was pretty good (not great but pretty good) and Mark had a hop heavy beer (Hop Warrior Imperial IPA) that Randy would have absolutely HATED, I think Mark thought it fair at best and he was pretty unimpressed but still the food was good and the company was awesome! (well the people I was with were awesome, it was not so awesome for him being stuck with me!)
Truck Series Driver (Pro II)

Post 08 Jul 2014, 3:43 pm

Because Beer

Post 08 Jul 2014, 5:21 pm

Had the River City Vanilla Bourbon Stout from a real up and comer in Spokane. Absolutely delicious, first beer I've had that needed a scoop of ice cream in it.
Administrator

Post 05 Aug 2014, 10:53 am

I hosted a beer tasting over the weekend and it was a lot of fun. One thing to "report" is when done the average scores favored the Hefeweizen I had samples finished at the top (on average).
I had 10 different style of beer and poured 3-4 ounce samples for each. Most of the tasters had never had thus style before and I suspect they liked it for the unique difference it has but I also think they would not drink more than one per week. But if you have not tried a Hefeweizen, maybe you want to give one a look-see? The taste is very different from other beers and they usually have a clove taste, even hints of bubble gum!? Sounds odd but that's the general impression and hey, most of the samplers really liked the style (we tasted Troegs, Dream Weaver Wheat). Again, this is not a "session" beer, it's more of a treat, almost like a dessert wine in beer form???

and (what I recall) for the other top finishers:
#2 Troegs Hopback Amber (I love Troegs)
#3 Otter Creek Copper Ale
#4 Samuel Adams Irish Red

and in last place (below the Bud Light I had as a sample BAD beer) was Stone IPA
This group generally didn't like hops but for some odd reason DID like the Hopback Amber, that was VERY odd to say the least.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 05 Aug 2014, 6:29 pm

Stone is not my favorite IPA but below Bud light? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Stone makes excellent beers in general, btw.
Administrator

Post 06 Aug 2014, 5:55 am

I have done a few beer tastings now and I always start it with a crap beer that people are familiar with. Sort of a "this is what you think you like, now try what you have been missing". Funny thing is, they don't realize how crappy the Bud is until they get into the tasting and realize how flavorless the stuff really is. I would like to some day do a crap beer tasting, all of the large macro brews and cheap beers you can find in any neighborhood store in the area. If I am at a wedding or some similar event and they have a choice of these crappy beers, it would be nice to know what is least bad?

I have been to Stone Brewery! It's a neat place and Arrogant Bastard is one of my favorites.
I wanted a good IPA and it had very good reviews, I thought it was pretty good myself. But as you know, Hops are an acquired taste and none liked them too much at all. But like I said, while hops were not their thing, the Hopback Amber was right up there despite being heavily hopped (much like an Arrogant Bastard actually).

Post 20 Aug 2014, 2:32 pm

This exists...
Ambassador

Post 25 Aug 2014, 11:00 am

Neal Anderth wrote:This exists...

Budweiser clearly figure they have not committed enough crimes against beer already.
Administrator

Post 25 Aug 2014, 1:04 pm

how WRONG can one product be?
Bud ...wrong
Light ...wrong
Lime ...wrong
apple ...wrong

and what the f***
It says Lime and says apple. is this a combination of apple and lime????

I have had (begrudgingly) Bud light lime and it's just horrible, WAY too strong a lime "flavor"
I have also had stuff like Reds Apple Ale, again, yechhhhh

This crap is so damned awful looking I actually want to sample one (just a sip, nothing more!)

Post 25 Aug 2014, 3:34 pm

You missed:
Margarita...wrong

SNL would have a hard time coming up with a product this ridiculous for a spoof ad.
Administrator

Post 26 Aug 2014, 8:30 am

Speaking of SNL spoof ads.
I have Hulu Plus and they recently added old Saturday Night Live episodes. I was watching one of the spoof ads (I think it was their second ever episode?) and it spoofed the triple track razor, they had an ad for a 5 blade razor yet this is a real product today. They thought the triple razor was so stupid yet here we are with an insane 5 blade razor! And I just bought new blades, (the triple blade I use had a bonus 5 blade) sheeesh
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 01 Sep 2014, 4:44 pm

GMTom wrote:I have been to Stone Brewery! It's a neat place and Arrogant Bastard is one of my favorites.
I wanted a good IPA and it had very good reviews, I thought it was pretty good myself. But as you know, Hops are an acquired taste and none liked them too much at all. But like I said, while hops were not their thing, the Hopback Amber was right up there despite being heavily hopped (much like an Arrogant Bastard actually).

Found a Stone 12-pack at my local grocery store - it has the IPA, Arrogant Bastard, Ruination double IPA, and a black IPA. If you want to try some top notch IPA's, this is quite the sampler pack.
Administrator

Post 02 Sep 2014, 6:15 am

over the weekend I was at a neighbors picnic party. I had several drinks and had just a bit MORE than I was comfortable with. Then (as I am now finished drinking for the day) he tells me he is doing a taste test for about 10 different IPA's! I wasn't sh!t faced by any means but damn, I can't remember any of the brands we did taste. I can tell you it was fun and tasty but after tasting 6 IPA's your taste buds get fairly well shot!