Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Truck Series Driver (Pro II)

Post 09 Apr 2015, 10:39 am

This article brings up the point Black IPAs, huh, the 'P' stands for pale.

Also equates the love of hops with machismo. I'm not so sure about that, part of the appeal of hops is simply the intensity and in the world of craft beer where's there's literally 1000s of choices it gives you at least some consistent central element you know you like (if you do) and will always be available.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-why ... 00406.html
Truck Series Driver (Pro II)

Post 21 May 2015, 10:18 am

Beer Plague
Administrator

Post 31 Jul 2015, 6:35 am

I am about to speak blasphemy...
It was hot, I didn't have a lot of cash on me, I wanted a beer
I bought a case of Labatt Blue cans

I put a couple in the freezer when I got home, gave it about 45 minutes and damn, that felt good while sitting on the deck! Sometimes that's what I want, no real flavor to speak of but a very mellow and refreshing "beer flavored" drink. Yeah, it doesn't really compare to those we have spoken of here but sometimes it hits the spot!
Dignitary

Post 31 Jul 2015, 4:20 pm

GMTom wrote:I am about to speak blasphemy...
It was hot, I didn't have a lot of cash on me, I wanted a beer
I bought a case of Labatt Blue cans

I put a couple in the freezer when I got home, gave it about 45 minutes and damn, that felt good while sitting on the deck! Sometimes that's what I want, no real flavor to speak of but a very mellow and refreshing "beer flavored" drink. Yeah, it doesn't really compare to those we have spoken of here but sometimes it hits the spot!

I have a friend that likes a good craft beer but will also drink Miller Lite. When he is asked how he can drink that P water, he says that with the way he drinks beer when he puts his mind to it, if he drank anything else, he would be the size of a house, and probably dead from alcohol poisoning.
Dignitary

Post 06 Aug 2015, 9:12 pm

So I am on vacation at Massanutten resort in Harrisonburg VA and I have had some interesting beer experiences here. On the way in, we stopped at a Krogers and I picked up a six pack of an IPA called Mad Hopper from Chaos Mountain brewery. It is very good. Nice hopsy flavor that goes down nice.

Then on Tuesday my father-in-law and I went on a brewery tour to Blue Mountain Brewery and Wild Wolf Brewery. I tried the 10 beer sampler at each brewery. Blue Mountain had some good beers. I particualarly liked their 365Shandy (and I do not really like Shandys) and a Virginia Pale Ale called Full Nelson.

They also had this peach beer that was freakin nasty. It was the only beer at Blue Mountain that I did not finish.

I was a little disappointed by Wild Wolf. None of their beers really stood out. They were almost an exact comparison to a mass produced beer of similar style. The best of the 10 I tried was their Porter but it tasted more like a black and tan.
Administrator

Post 10 Aug 2015, 8:01 am

I had one over the weekend that our hop-head friends might just REALLY like...
Great Lakes, Lake Erie Monster
a Double IPA or Imperial IPA, this one was somewhere around 10% alcohol (strong) and very fruity.
Right from the start (drinking out of the bottle) I noticed a strong citrus smell, the taste followed! Grapefruit/Orange/Pear/Pine taste, maybe a little peppery? Oh my gosh, I was not expecting so sweet and fruity a taste! It was a bit of a shocking surprise that I quite enjoyed.

Not a flavored beer, simply the hops lend these flavors and wow, while I really didn't taste the extra alcohol (normally such high octane beers taste like jet fuel) I could feel it, quite quite nice stuff. This was courtesy of a neighbor, I will have to get some of my own for a camping trip this weekend!
Administrator

Post 17 Aug 2015, 7:51 am

Camping over the weekend, I wanted cans and bought Labatts Blue for the trip ...meh, standard mass produced swill but when cold was ok enough. But here's where it gets interesting, I ran out and ran top the local minimarket in the back woods. Not much to pick from and I saw Pabst Blue Ribbon, this was the stuff I drank in college all the time (always on sale)
Ewwwww, not good at all! But I did manage to finish the 12 pack in short order!!!
Dignitary

Post 17 Aug 2015, 8:40 am

GMTom wrote:Not much to pick from and I saw Pabst Blue Ribbon, this was the stuff I drank in college all the time (always on sale)
Ewwwww, not good at all! But I did manage to finish the 12 pack in short order!!!

Dude, what are you talking about? PBR is the college hipster drink of choice right now. :rolleyes:

Seriously, I have a buddy who drinks that swill and I can't figure out why.
Administrator

Post 19 Aug 2015, 5:57 am

Going from memory of last weekend, the PBR was very similar to the mass produced Bud, Miller, Coors, etc. I did notice it had little in the way of hops or malts, very VERY bland (like beer flavored water) with a goofy alcohol taste to it. Nothing horrific, but it wasn't too good either, the Labatt's Blue was much better (and that aint saying much)
Administrator

Post 10 Sep 2015, 10:18 am

Tis the season, my favorite beer season!
I recently had some Southern Tier Pumpking and it is awesome stuff. I'm sure I mentioned this in this thread a few times but as far as pumpkin beer goes, this is the absolute king of that odd mountain. It tastes like a pumpkin pie. Go ahead and make fun of flavored beers, they are certainly not for everyone and honestly, I can't drink too many of these (not a "sessionable" beer) but for a fun one-off, this is wonderful stuff.

The other more standard beer is Octoberfest style beer is now out!
This would be my favorite, rich malt flavors, not as light as some of the summer styles. Football and Octoberest, does it get any better than this? I had a Sam Adams Octoberfest and, in the words of Homer Simpson, "mmmmmmmm beer"
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 24 Sep 2015, 6:26 pm

GMTom wrote:Tis the season, my favorite beer season!
I recently had some Southern Tier Pumpking and it is awesome stuff. I'm sure I mentioned this in this thread a few times but as far as pumpkin beer goes, this is the absolute king of that odd mountain. It tastes like a pumpkin pie. Go ahead and make fun of flavored beers, they are certainly not for everyone and honestly, I can't drink too many of these (not a "sessionable" beer) but for a fun one-off, this is wonderful stuff.

In my experience, it's the only pumpkin beer worth drinking. It does, indeed, pack a punch.

Now the really good news... I just picked up 2 Pumking bombers at Costco! Super deluxe bonus: A bomber of Ballast Point Sculpin!
Dignitary

Post 18 Nov 2015, 6:57 am

I got a home brewing kit for my birthday. I put up my first batch yesterday afternoon. It is an IPA. It should be ready by around New Years.
Administrator

Post 20 Nov 2015, 12:33 pm

Good luck on your first brew! I have never made my own (yet) but one of my brothers has and i had several of his. Every single one was good to very good and maybe the best I ever had was one of his as well! (hard to tell with only one day tasting and it was after a 12 hour car ride with two women blabbering the whole time, I think ANY beer would have tasted superb at that time but that day, that time, it was AWESOME)

let us know how it turns out, I might be interested in testing the same kit if you have a good experience
Administrator

Post 18 Mar 2016, 1:21 pm

So how was that batch of home brew Archduke?
I assume you made at least the one batch and likely another one or two by now?

OH, and it may be too late, Troegs Nugget Nectar is out now. I managed to grab THE LAST six pack in Rochester! I prefer bottles and this year they made it in cans and bottles both, all that was available was that can variety so we will see how it goes!
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 18 Mar 2016, 1:24 pm

Got my (now) annual six-pack a few weeks ago. Finished them all off about a week ago.