Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 23 Mar 2015, 10:35 am

I always have been wary of cans, especially drinking straight from them, as metal does alter the taste. But they do seem to have improved over the year. Most local breweries only bottle, and canning seems to be a mass thing here so few beers other than lager come in cans.

At the weekend my wife took us toba Hawaiian burger place in London that had 50% of the UK supply of Kona's Castaway IPA. Lovely, although I have love for the Fire Rock and Golden Wave as well. I also had a nice bottle of Rogue's Dead Guy Ale which is a tasty copper brown beer with deep flavours. Last time I had that I was in their distillery In Portland and it was far from the first beer of the day so didn't get to savour it.
Truck Series Driver (Pro II)

Post 23 Mar 2015, 1:19 pm

GMTom wrote:One other guy simply didn't want beer and stuck to wine (how dare he!?).

Wow! And you were able to be civil to him the rest of the day?

Bulleit rye bourbon has been pretty good, and I also remember Ruthless Rye IPA from Sierra Nevada was quite good. But I really dig the peppery quality that typically goes with rye. I'd like to see rye options more regularly.

Post 23 Mar 2015, 1:31 pm

danivon wrote:I also had a nice bottle of Rogue's Dead Guy Ale which is a tasty copper brown beer with deep flavours. Last time I had that I was in their distillery In Portland and it was far from the first beer of the day so didn't get to savour it.

We're now seeing that one in town all over on tap. Which doesn't sound mind blowing given how close we live, but it's significant given the hundreds to choose from in the region. And the name is a bit odd give how much easier it is on the pallet compared to our many hop hoppidy choices. But it's been around for a long time so that is neither here nor there.

Then there's Irish Death which sounds serious but really is just a sweet stout, like something you'd share with your woman on date night.

NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 23 Mar 2015, 5:17 pm

Nice black ale from Lagunitas. The hops, of which there are plenty (it is Lagunitas, after all) are nicely balanced with the malts. Not too sweet.
Nighttime1_large.png

Post 24 Mar 2015, 11:54 am

Which one do you prefer for morning :winkgrin:
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 24 Mar 2015, 4:33 pm

I don't often drink beer in the morning but when I do, I prefer...

A) Founder's Breakfast Stout

or

B) Bud Light mixed with tomato juice (red beer or red eye)
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 26 Mar 2015, 5:16 pm

Stone's "Enjoy By 4/20/15": A seasonal double IPA that is meant to be consumed by 4/20. It just came out so it has a very short shelf life, indeed. The hops explode out of this one so non-hop lovers stay away. Awesome beer for hopheads, though!
enjoy-by-4-20.png
Administrator

Post 30 Mar 2015, 6:32 am

My neighbor (whom I spoke of here many times before ...the one who I exchange beers with) He had a few IPA's in his fridge that he had for a past party, he is going on a month long holiday and is turning off his fridge. Lucky me, he brought me 5-6 beers (all IPA's)
Included was a canned beer! Founders "All Day IPA"
Founders makes some pretty good stuff so this was that "experiment" I had looked forward to. The beer itself was maybe a bit too hoppy for me to really appreciate fully (so this is no real review of the beer but rather the can) but it was good for that test I had wanted to do and I didn't seem to notice any can taste! Maybe hoppy beers hide the metal taste better than a more mellow beer but I got to do as i said and the can didn't seem to be an issue.
...live and learn!

Post 31 Mar 2015, 1:07 pm

"Trilogy 3 is the brainchild of students from the Fermentation Science program at Oregon State University. Their collaboration with our brewmaster created a session-style dry-hopped brown ale with nutty characteristics and piney hop notes."

This was in their mixed 12 pack, kind of fun to get to try an experimental beer, and props to Bridgeport for including a student based beer in their mass production 12 pack.

[Edited in response to Tom below]

Nice session beer, widely appealing, nothing stands out.
Administrator

Post 01 Apr 2015, 5:53 am

But you failed to tell us how it tasted!
I love how some college electives can be so fun and special, and why not? I'm sure they got a lot out of such a class! Anyways, the description sounds like a good brew but I'm not a Brown Ale fan myself and such "nutty" notes never found favor with me either. I would however give it a whirl if it were in my fridge!

speaking of "if it were in my fridge"
This just hit me, is anyone up for exchanging a beer or three? I could send something from my neck of the woods that is not available in your area, you return the favor. Heck, I still have a few of the Troegs Nugget Nectar's left. They have been refrigerated a few weeks now and it's not best to have them go warm to cold to warm to cold, but we can give it a shot if anyone has a desire to do so? Maybe one of you west coast guys are up for it?
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 04 Apr 2015, 10:48 am

Tom,

[OT]
Have you received any emails from me? I've got a few things that I'd like some help with. Please contact at mpolcen [at] verizon [dot] net.

Thanks!
Mike
Ambassador

Post 05 Apr 2015, 7:56 am

How do people feel about the "Black IPA" style? I have been on a break to Yorkshire and had a couple of different ones as a nice "breakfast" (well, first of the day at lunchtime). As well as having the hops of the IPA, they also come with the roasted malt flavours that generate the dark colour. Less heavy than a porter or stout, almost refreshing but with enough going on.

I would present an example but I can't for the life of me remember what I had...
Ambassador

Post 05 Apr 2015, 8:00 am

SLOTerp wrote:Maybe you fellas need a beer summit.

:cheers:
Next time Randy is over this side of the pond, no problems.

Post 05 Apr 2015, 9:46 am

We have this crazy little super popular Patisserie in town that people manly come to for the pastries, coffee, and gelato. But they also just happen to stock the best beer snob beers available in town and nobody seems to know it. You'll rarely ever see anyone with a beer there.

I just had a fantastic quad ale:

Not to mention that they have Deschutes Abyss, which is rare, and unheard of to still have on the shelf in April.

Administrator

Post 06 Apr 2015, 7:57 am

several items...
SLOTerp
I do not check the email Redscape links to very often. I also don't check ANYTHING over the weekend. I am in the middle of sending you an email from my work address. (but will try and check those messages before I send my message)

danivon
Funny you mention a Black IPA, I just had one a week ago (one of those my neighbor brought over)
I don't recall the brand off hand but I do not generally like dark beers (dark Amber is another story!) I figured black = Yechh, but IPA = "not dark"?
I was not put off by this in the least and actually thought it was fair. Not one of my go-to's by any stretch but I was happy to try it and open my mind to maybe dark isn't bad!

Neal
Omegang isn't too far from where I live (not close but we are both in upstate New York. Another neighbor of mine is really into Omegang and had a bunch to sample a while back. I know they do incredibly well in just about every ranking I have seen but I have not had a single beer I cared for by this brewer, not a one! Maybe I'm not "snobby" enough just yet?
While I am saying this tongue in cheek, it may not be far from the truth either? I know my beer tastes have changed greatly over the years and who knows, maybe I will grow to like Omegang?