Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 15 Feb 2013, 7:00 pm

Two more last couple of nights:

Troegs Perpetual IPA: I liked it more than the Lagunitas mentioned above but still seems more summery.
Stone Ruination IPA: A hop bomb. This is a very good beer.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 17 Feb 2013, 6:38 pm

Shipyard IPA: Bleah. Well, ok, the last swig from the bottle was actually good. Maybe this beer needs to get warm to make it palatable? It's supposed to be an English style IPA so maybe warm is better since all you limeys drink your beer that way.

Firestone Union Jack IPA: This one is damn good. The shame is I didn't care about good beer when I lived a stone's throw from this brewery 10 years ago (Paso Robles, CA).
Administrator

Post 18 Feb 2013, 8:43 am

so you are a hop-head?
that beer tasting I went to a week ago, the guy putting it on is NOT a hop-head and in talking to him "pre-party" I knew no hops would be present for this small event so I brought my sixer of Troegs HopBack Amber.
I figured he might like it, this being an amber beer with a hoppy finish, it's a bit "smoother" than your typical IPA (it really is worth a taste!).

So I had him do the first taste, poured him a 4 ounce sample and he damn near spit it out!
He did dump the balance of the 4ounces in fact. But I then gave it to numerous others and guess what the absolute favorite beer was for the night, hands down, most thoroughly enjoyed the HopBack Amber! Just goes to show you there is no "best" beer and all is personal taste.

As far as SloTerps recent tastings, I still need to try the Perpetual IPA by Troegs (they are an EXCELLENT brewer!) and as stated, I was recently on a tour of Stone and they too are fantastic in all they do!
Shipyard and Firestone ...new to me, I will look for the Firestone Union Jack!
Ambassador

Post 19 Feb 2013, 12:33 pm

We do not just drink beer warm, SLOterp. Lager is drunk cold. Some keg beers are drunk cold. Real Ale is drunk at about 12 deg C, which is still cool to taste. Cellar cold, not fridge cold, that's all.

It means you can taste it. If beer has to be cold to drink, then it's not all that good. But room temp beer will not be all that nice.

American beers are coming on a lot. I quite like an American style IPA, although they can be overhopped- and not the floral 'green hop' style of autumn brews.
Truck Series Driver (Pro II)

Post 19 Feb 2013, 6:45 pm

You gents taken with barrel aged beers?
Ambassador

Post 20 Feb 2013, 3:01 am

For how long do you mean 'aged'. Often Real Ale will mature in the barrel over the weeks, due to the sediment inside, but it isn't used to obtain flavour from the wood.
Administrator

Post 20 Feb 2013, 7:21 am

Neal, I never had any myself but while on my Stone Brewery tour they were aging some Arrogant Bastard in big old whiskey barrels, that was not ready yet and was not part of our sampling!
FYI, a website I really enjoy is www.beeradvocate.com all sorts of "neat stuff" including a slew of ratings.
And if anyone cares to attempt a beer tasting event with their friends, I designed a really nice rating sheet that I cobbled together using ideas from 3 or 4 different rating sheets. It makes for a real fun time, it will cost you a bit but it's not terribly expensive and the result is awesome, go ahead and wow your friends and neighbors! Let me know and I can email it to you (and feel free to alter it as you see fit, just let me know what you did, maybe I will then change mine again?)

Post 20 Feb 2013, 10:19 am

I had in mind the typical year aged bourbon and wine barrel beers. The Real Ale sounds like it has some qualitative crossover. Sounds like a fun sampling, barrel aged beer, real ale, micros, and cervezas. Sounds like I'll need that sheet once I get set up with some Lutherans ;)
Administrator

Post 20 Feb 2013, 12:20 pm

Lutherans could be trouble, they like to eat!
...makes your party all that more expensive, stick to Catholics, they get by on unleavened bread that tastes stale! Throw a saltine at them and they should be happy???

(I can say that, my wife is Lutheran, I am pseudo-Catholic)
drop me a note and I will forward the sheet (set up for some stuff I was preparing to have)
tomahaha (at) frontiernet (dot) net
it really is a fun (and informative) time.

check out beeradvocate.com and a local shop here, beersoftheworld.com have some nice info for you as well.

Post 22 Feb 2013, 1:43 pm

In true Tom fashion, that is a fantastic setup for a beer tasting, hope I get to use it this year.
Administrator

Post 22 Feb 2013, 2:10 pm

see that, it's pretty cool huh?
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 22 Feb 2013, 6:12 pm

Founders Centennial IPA: Pretty good though I was expecting more given the BA ratings.
Avery's Maharaja (Imperial IPA): Great beer - and hides the alcohol really well (>10%).

Tom, the beer you recommended (Nugget Nectar) is apparently a seasonal issue that is very hard to get a hold of. Cruel...

Post 24 Feb 2013, 1:30 pm

Surely we must have some home brewers?
Administrator

Post 24 Feb 2013, 2:57 pm

seasonal yes,
...but tis the season! (Feb-Mar)
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 25 Feb 2013, 7:29 pm

Boulevard Brewing Single-wide IPA: After having some really tremendous beers from this brewery, this one disappoints. Perhaps it would be ok in a starter kit for someone trying IPA's.

Lagunitas Brewing Co. A Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale: Whoa! I could drink these all day. Very citrusy and goes down way too easy. Top pick for a summer ale.