Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 13 Jan 2015, 6:41 am

Randy, I think Lost Rhino has really upped their game. I tasted some really nice brews a few months ago and I was impressed. I filled my growler with a double IPA (forget the name). You are correct in that hoppy beers seem to be dominating there. On an even better note, they are opening a restaurant in Brambleton (my neighborhood) that will include a very small brewing operation. The micro-micro-brewery serves two functions: 1) Allows them to transfer beers from their main facility (screwy VA beer laws) and 2) Gives them a platform from which they can experiment with different styles before committing to larger batches.

I am looking forward to this :cheers:
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 10 Mar 2015, 5:30 pm

Yes!

Troeg's Nugget Nectar is in (it's seasonal). It won't stay on the shelves for long so grab some now.

Really... go now.

NOW!!!!
Administrator

Post 12 Mar 2015, 10:43 am

It absolutely FLY'S off the shelf up here and honestly, I don't know anyone who has heard of the stuff (well SOME know about it obviously?)
I always get a sixer when it's out but I prefer it's always available poor sister, Hopback Amber. Not as intense, much smoother, not as much alcohol. But Nugget Nectar is pretty darned good as well!
Truck Series Driver (Pro II)

Post 12 Mar 2015, 2:22 pm

As a west coast standard that's highly available, the Torpedo comes in with an IBU of 70.

What's the highest IBU you've had and enjoyed?
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 12 Mar 2015, 6:23 pm

I like Torpedo a lot. Even better - they offer it in pounders!

It's been awhile but I remember enjoying Southern Tier's Unearthly Imperial IPA (153 IBU).

I like hoppy beers so I run across quite a few high IBU beers. The Nugget Nectar above is over 100.

Post 13 Mar 2015, 9:17 am

Looks like the nectar sits at IBU 93 http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/troegs-nug ... ale/30812/

I haven't seen it around my area, would LOVE to pick some up.
Ambassador

Post 14 Mar 2015, 4:56 am

RUFFHAUS 8 wrote:but with everyone suffering from white guilt and white privilege these days what do you expect?
Please stick to beer. You are boring enough with the need to repeatedly go on about how you don't like hops, without this kind of irrelevant bs creeping in.
Ambassador

Post 14 Mar 2015, 8:17 am

Neal Anderth wrote:Image

As a west coast standard that's highly available, the Torpedo comes in with an IBU of 70.

What's the highest IBU you've had and enjoyed?
Mission's Shipwrecked came in at 75, and was about my limit. Over here we don't really measure IBUs, and to be honest I prefer the floral and citrus flavours using more of the noble hops

Post 15 Mar 2015, 7:02 pm

No-Li Jet Star Imperial IPA, from our hometown of Spokane WA

Remember that first thrill ride and mind altering experience? Jet Star Imperial IPA shatters your senses in a way that has not been seen since Spokane’s ’74 World Expo. Jet Star is a roller-coaster ride of double dosed hops, packing 115 IBUs and 8.1% alc/vol. One heck of a flash-back.

Picked this one up for the fun reference to the World Expo and for the IBUs since I brought that up. At 115 it's a real wallop of hops for your face hole. Good fun.
Administrator

Post 16 Mar 2015, 5:57 am

Myself, I never paid any attention to IBU's. If it tastes good to me, then it tastes good to me. I suppose it would be a good indicator of what I MIGHT (or might not) enjoy but again, I never paid it any attention so who knows?

And this example goes well with this thinking.
Last summer I had a beer tasting with some casual beer drinkers. Of the beers sampled I had a wide range, one was an IPA (a very good Stone IPA) and they all hated that, it comes in at only 77 IBU's. Not too harsh yet they still didn't like it.

But they all loved Troegs Hopback Amber, a heavily hopped non IPA (they flow it over a bed of hops to pick up that hoppy flavor). But then again, while I assumed it would be similar, Hopback Amber comes in at 55 IBU's so maybe the scale does work after all?

All I know is what I like
White guilt? I don't care for dark beers and it has nothing to do with any guilt. Hoppy is good but I am not as big a fan of it as many here. I like to think of me as having a middle of the road palate?
Administrator

Post 16 Mar 2015, 7:18 am

oh, FYI
I did buy a couple six packs of the Nugget Nectar as i said I would last week. They were very low and it only just came in so the timing was pretty good. And speaking of pretty good, I gotta say this is better than I remember. I would (maybe even SHOULD) get a bottle of Hopback Amber to compare to but yes this is very good stuff indeed. Remember it was ME who gave this advise back a few years ago!

I also noticed online that this is also now available in cans.
While I did not see it in cans at my distributor it brings up a good point...

What do you guys think about cans in general?
I have poo-pooed them for a long time and maybe it's the crap beer that has always been available in cans, but I usually seem to notice a metallic can taste when drinking from a can. But more and more "experts" say cans are good and heck, a keg is nothing but a big can? I prefer cans on rare occasions but this is only due to space constraints or when glass could be a problem. But that is very rare and I would normally prefer bottles. Has anyone had a decent beer from a can? I would like to find a good beer and compare the same quality brew in both can and bottle.
Emissary

Post 16 Mar 2015, 9:27 pm

GMTom wrote:
What do you guys think about cans in general?
I have poo-pooed them for a long time and maybe it's the crap beer that has always been available in cans, but I usually seem to notice a metallic can taste when drinking from a can. But more and more "experts" say cans are good and heck, a keg is nothing but a big can? I prefer cans on rare occasions but this is only due to space constraints or when glass could be a problem. But that is very rare and I would normally prefer bottles. Has anyone had a decent beer from a can? I would like to find a good beer and compare the same quality brew in both can and bottle.

They've improved the can liners of any decent beer that comes in cans now to the point that they are just as good of a way to store beer. I've noticed a good amount of microbreweries that use cans because they're cheaper.

Has anyone heard of Sly Fox brewery? They are from my hometown and they are amazing. I've been pleasantly surprised to find their beers in bars in Baltimore and Washington, DC. They make so many good kinds of beers, but the bar near me only has their IPA. I am not a huge IPA guy but theirs is really good, so I'll drink it. It has a good IPA taste without overdoing it with the hopps.
Administrator

Post 17 Mar 2015, 5:33 am

Man in Black...
You sound like the exact type of person that would love the Nugget Nectar we have been speaking about! Hoppy flavor but not overdone, rich, full, just superb! (or if gone, try it's ugly sister Hopback Amber, trust me on this one)

Cans are getting better so I hear but I have never had a "good" beer in a can yet, I do want to try one soon but all I ever see is the typical Bud, Coors, Miller, etc Macro products. While I do poo-poo these, I'm really not a snob and enjoy even them (just less so ... heck just Sunday I had a Pabst Blue Ribbon by choice because I had not had any since college) anyways, those lesser beers all have a bit of a metallic can taste to me so I only use them when really needed and that's pretty rare. But when I see a "good" beer available in a can, I'm buying it! I have to give it a whirl.

and "Sly Fox" is funny, while I have never heard of this brewery, it's funny because at one time, way back when, someone with a very limited knowledge of the German language said my surname meant "sly fox" they were quite wrong and leaped to a few conclusions in getting there but hey, it sounded pretty darned cool!
Administrator

Post 17 Mar 2015, 5:36 am

I just looked up Sly Fox Brewery and damn, one of my brothers lives in Phoenixville!
Administrator

Post 23 Mar 2015, 9:05 am

I had a group over on Saturday and didn't want them drinking all my Nugget Nectar but did want them to try it! So I went to the beer store and they still had 3 six packs left, I took one of them and added a somewhat "average" type beer for those who don't like the hops.
I saw an offering by Great Divide Brewing, I have heard good things about them so why not try something new?
I picked out "Hoss Rye lager"
Meh...it was ok
I tried it and was not exactly unhappy but it was nothing special as I had hoped for. Rye lager is a bit "tamer" than hop-loaded beers and I figured it would play well to those others I had over. Turns out one of the guys dropped out and another seems to have realized he might be an alcoholic, another was on medicine and one other guy simply didn't want beer and stuck to wine (how dare he!?). Anyways, I did all the beer drinking that night so my Nugget Nectar is still all mine and this Rye lager is almost gone.

It was flavorful enough for a Lager, the smell was a bit off-putting to me (but later reading reviews most seemed to enjoy it?) All in all a very average beer, nothing to say no to, but nothing to go out of your way for either. Maybe Randy would like this one, it seems to fit his wheelhouse? (and I do not mean anything bad by that in the least)