Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Truck Series Driver (Pro II)

Post 15 Jan 2014, 10:03 am

If I was a brewmaster and I made a double IPA I'd name it Ruffhaus, as it is bitterness in a can. :winkgrin:
Administrator

Post 15 Jan 2014, 12:48 pm

I would gladly sample that beer! But I'm confused, I SHOULD be pouring into a glass (or solo cup or glass slipper) but this Ruffhaus beer, should this crap be drank direct from the bottle?

My daughters want me to get into home brewing, they think our surname is a great beer name, "Reinecker Beer" has a nice ring to it they think.
Emissary

Post 15 Jan 2014, 1:06 pm

Reinecker Ale sounds better. Or maybe Old 'Necker.

Post 15 Jan 2014, 7:46 pm

How about Reinecker Rhine - Barley Wine?
Administrator

Post 19 Jan 2014, 2:56 pm

I was out the other day and the bar had a variety on tap I never tried before. I like Bock beers, so why not try a Shiner Bock?
Well, that experiment went awry. Very bland, macrobeer, corn adjunct flavors (like a bud or coors) nothing going on, bland and actually a bit watery, this stuff sucked!

I like to try thing with no preconceived notions and compare my thoughts to others and it would look like I am certainly not alone! I think I would have actually preferred a Budweiser to this crap, this was just blechhhhhh.

Post 20 Jan 2014, 9:54 am

I was at a NFC Championship game party yesterday, best game of the year btw, and had a scotch ale from our local brewery Laht Neppur. It had been a been about thee years since I had that, and wow they've done a great job with that one, honey brewed now, lots of flavor, not too sweet, but definitely a solid crowd pleaser.
Administrator

Post 20 Jan 2014, 1:52 pm

I immediately thought of Randy:
http://www.slate.com/articles/life/drin ... ation.html

They talk about how craft beer is possibly getting too hoppy.
While hops are all the rage right now and maybe hop-heads are sort of immune to the bitter that turns people like Randy off, they do point out that not all craft beers are hoppy and you need to stick to the type you desire (even though high hopped beers rule the roost right now).

Don't lump ALL craft beer together as being too hoppy!
Administrator

Post 20 Jan 2014, 2:21 pm

and I was reading an article about the best beer in the world. How subjective these lists are and how nobody could possibly have tasted everything available. His "definitive" list (and reader input) lists these as some of the best beers in the world:

* The Beer in your Hand
* Your NEXT beer
* The Best beer you can remember
* The Beer that's Free!
* The Beer you Made
* OPB (other people's beer)
* Your first beer (as in first after a long day, first after playing hard, first during a poker party, etc)
* The First Beer you had with... (wife, friend, father, etc)
* The beer that brings you the best memories (good or bad, it's still the best!)
* The Start of your Weekend Beer
* LBID (Last Beer I Drank)
* A Beer Shared with Friends
* Cold Beer
* the beer your wife brings you during the game

can any of these really be wrong?
Administrator

Post 22 Jan 2014, 11:57 am

I was at a friends house the other day and he had Killian's Irish Red. He had it because he knew I liked it. It's made by Coors and isn't extra special by any means but this is the beer that started me to experimenting with Craft beers and enjoying the world of options available to me. This is a real good "starter beer", not quite your every day crap, different enough to get you hooked on trying new things and different enough to notice this is better than the every day garbage.

I would recommend this beer as a good launching point. Work your way into new beer and new styles by starting off small. And if you don't like Killian's, please don't think all new things are going to be bad, keep trying! maybe you want to avoid the high hopped or extra strong alcohol beers, maybe avoid the dark beers (when you start) but do keep trying new and go from there!
Dignitary

Post 22 Jan 2014, 8:22 pm

I once got into an argument with a bartender over Killans. The bar had different prices for domestic beers and import beers. They were charging import beer price for Killan's Irish Red. I was like Dude, it's a Coors product.

Post 24 Jan 2014, 10:28 pm

"Torpedo is an assertive American IPA deep reddish-gold in color, with a smooth and bready malt presence and over-the-top hop aromas. The beer has a solid bitterness and a massive hop flavor, yet remains easy drinking with a pleasant dry finish."

It goes without saying, but Sierra Nevada really knows what they are doing, and the fact that I could pick this up at Walmart for a $1.25 per serving is really amazing for a high quality craft beer company.

Independently owned, 6th largest brewer in the US and it pulls this off:
Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. won the US Environmental Protection Agency's "Green Business of the Year" award for 2010.
The brewery is powered by solar energy, having 10,000 photovoltaic modules covering its rooftops and parking lot. In all, the brewery uses 2.6 megawatts of solar electricity on premises. It also has built a charging station for electric vehicles on its premises.

The company processes used cooking oil from its restaurant for biodiesel use in its delivery trucks. In 2009, it reached an agreement with a local ethanol company to produce high-grade ethanol fuel from its discarded yeast. Spent grain is sold to local cattle ranchers for livestock feed; spent water is sent to the brewery's own water treatment plant, where it is reused, mainly as drip irrigation for its fields. Over 99.5% of the brewery plant's solid waste is diverted from landfill.

Sierra Nevada is the largest buyer of organic hops in the United States It also farms its own organic hops and barley for use in its annual Chico Estate Harvest Ale release.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 05 Feb 2014, 6:18 pm

@#$! IPA (Atlanta, GA):

Great find at my grocery store. It has a really strong hop aroma, more like a double IPA, although the taste doesn't quite keep up with the anticipation. It is most certainly hoppy though, with all the fruits and pines you'd expect.

I also picked up six of a favorite - Hopback Amber. Yum.

Administrator

Post 06 Feb 2014, 8:36 am

Hopback Amber ...that was my Superbowl brew of choice.
And FYI, look for it now, Hopback Amber's brawny Brother, Nugget Nectar was just released a week or three ago, I remember you really liked that one and once it hits the shelves, it goes FAST
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 07 Feb 2014, 3:32 pm

I stopped by my beer store for the Nectar. Not in yet - I checked Troeg's website and it says distribution to Virginia starts mid-February. I guess I can wait another week or two.

It wasn't a total bust. I picked up a six-pack of another favorite: Firestone Walker Union Jack IPA

Administrator

Post 08 Feb 2014, 3:34 pm

same here, not in yet but they hope next week will be different.
I wanted to bring beer to my neighbors house while we watched the Olympic opening ceremonies (and what the HELL were the Germans wearing? Looked like a Technicolor vomit all over them)
so I picked up
Great Lakes Conways IRISH ale
Stone, INDIA pale ale
Molsons CANADIAN
Kilt Lifter SCOTISH ale (don't recall the maker)
Blue Moon BELGIAN wheat
...and I saw an Angry Orchard Hard Cider, I wanted to try that so I ended there, it was a fun idea!