Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 29 Oct 2012, 8:54 am

Looks like a monster of a storm heading for the NE states of the US. Hope all the Redscapers in the area are prepared and remain safe.
Ambassador

Post 29 Oct 2012, 9:29 am

Thanks ... so far over here, everything is closed, but that seems to be more based on fear than reality. The kids are home from school for no good reason. Tomorrow may be a totally different story.
Ambassador

Post 29 Oct 2012, 9:56 am

Well, it's due to worsen over this afternoon, so I can see why they'd not want to risk having schools open today (and the resulting traffic from the post-school run would also be a factor). If the middle of the storm is due to hit NJ at around 8pm, the outriders will be a couple of hundred miles inland way before then. I'm not sure what the effect is of that interaction with the front from the West, but our weather guys are talking about high winds. These things can change quickly and it's very hard to judge risk. So maybe it's not for 'no good reason'.

Hurricanes are one thing I'd certainly use the precautionary principle on.
Ambassador

Post 30 Oct 2012, 4:56 am

It did get worse at about 1:00 so perhaps they were right to close school. The politics is that the Governor recommended it for the entire state, so it would be risky for a town Superintendent to take the opposite position.

We lost power from about 6:00 pm to 3:00 this morning. That worked great last night ... with no internet or TV, I taught the kids how to play Ticket to Ride, which they thoroughly enjoyed. Best of all, now we all know how to get to Winnipeg by train.
Ambassador

Post 30 Oct 2012, 5:53 am

Forecasts I saw showed a high (more than 50%) chance of hurricane force winds across all of Mass by 5pm yesterday, so I agree that it was probably right. Glad to hear you got the power back, and your family were safe.

Once they've mastered Ticket to Ride, try them on Steam (well, perhaps when their a bit older!). TransAmerica is another really good track-laying game which is easy to pick up.