Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 06 Aug 2012, 1:19 am

Seems to be going well, so far. GB are doing very well in the medals, but the big draw was the Men's 100m. Bolt and Blake are both phenomenal, and had Powell not pulled up, every runner would have run a sub-10s race. A shame that drug-cheat Gatlin got a bronze ahead of Gay (had Chambers progressed, I would not have supported that drug-cheat either), but otherwise it was about the best final for many years.

anyone else watching? Got any other favourite moments?
Statesman

Post 06 Aug 2012, 3:13 pm

Just finished watching the Canadian Women drop the semifinal 4-3 to the American women (football).
goal came in 2nd minute of extra time in the second 15 of extra time after the game ended 3-3
Great game with some incredulous reffering. Both ways.
Third American goal was a hand ball call in the box AFTER the Canadian keeper was called for not releasing the ball in 6 seconds. When do you ever see that called without a warning first??
So an indirect kick, and from that a hand ball that hit a hand from 6 feet away.
Still a fabulous game...
Dignitary

Post 06 Aug 2012, 5:06 pm

I was watching Fencing online. I love that fact that just about every event is being streamed online this year. That way you get to see the sports that are not usually broadcast on tv like Fencing or Archery.
Ambassador

Post 06 Aug 2012, 8:28 pm

I am not a "football" fan. I've said that on several occasions. Women's team sports, other than volleyball, bore me to tears.

But, I happened to catch this game from the 60th minute on.

In a word: scintillating. That Canadian player, Sinclair, was magnificent. I was stunned when she got her third--with the American wandering from the post.

If every game was like that, I could be a fan.
Ambassador

Post 07 Aug 2012, 2:16 am

Archduke Russell John wrote:I was watching Fencing online. I love that fact that just about every event is being streamed online this year. That way you get to see the sports that are not usually broadcast on tv like Fencing or Archery.
The good old BBC has 24 live channels (with another 24 in HD) so you can flip from one sport to another, which is great. A lot of the time they are showing not a lot happening with no commentary before or after an event, but I love being able to hop between the cycling (yay! More GB gold!) and athletics and basketball and beach volleyball...

Shame I have to be in work while the triathlon is on. Now that is a hardcore event.
Emissary

Post 07 Aug 2012, 11:04 am

You guys should watch women beach volleyball

Also, not all sports measure up. i.e men's football is just

100m Phenomenal. I didnt know Gatlin was back int he game...
Ambassador

Post 07 Aug 2012, 11:44 am

cypeg wrote:You guys should watch women beach volleyball
It has a certain appeal. But plenty of the events show ladies in skintight and skimpy clothing jumping about, and beach volleyball just seems like badly played doubles tennis when you look at the actual sport of it.

100m Phenomenal. I didnt know Gatlin was back int he game...
Wish the ban had stood. Good news is that WADA convinced the IOC to allow them to reanalyse samples from 2004 and they found another bunch of drug cheaters, some of who will have their medals stripped. Not that it's good that people cheated or it's taken 8 years to find them, but it will hopefully reduce the temptation going forward if people know that even a test now that they can beat will not guarantee they don't get caught.

To be honest, I haven't seen much of the football. Too much choice elsewhere
Dignitary

Post 07 Aug 2012, 12:06 pm

danivon wrote:The good old BBC has 24 live channels (with another 24 in HD) so you can flip from one sport to another, which is great. A lot of the time they are showing not a lot happening with no commentary before or after an event, but I love being able to hop between the cycling (yay! More GB gold!) and athletics and basketball and beach volleyball...

Unfortunately, we are stuck with NBC broadcasting over here. They are getting slammed left and right for the poor coverage. I think the only thing they are doing correctly is the live streaming.

danivon wrote:Shame I have to be in work while the triathlon is on. Now that is a hardcore event.
I understand what you mean. Each of the Fencing events were being show in its entirety online. The only problem was they all started at 10am your time which was 5am my time. Now I love fencing but not enough to get up that early. By the time I got a chance to actually sit and watch, I had missed the round of 64 entirely as well as the round of 32. I usually picked it up in the middle of the round of 16.
Ambassador

Post 07 Aug 2012, 12:16 pm

Archduke Russell John wrote:Unfortunately, we are stuck with NBC broadcasting over here. They are getting slammed left and right for the poor coverage. I think the only thing they are doing correctly is the live streaming.
Yes, they had a shocker on the Opening Ceremony apparently - 4 hours late and they cut out the Emile Sandé singing of Abide With Me which was a tribute to people who are no longer with us, including victims of 7/7, so they could show an interview with Michael Phelps.

Now, Micheal Phelps is one hell of an athlete and is now the most decorated Olympic athlete of all time, but did they need to show an interview at that time?

danivon wrote:Shame I have to be in work while the triathlon is on. Now that is a hardcore event.
I understand what you mean. Each of the Fencing events were being show in its entirety online. The only problem was they all started at 10am your time which was 5am my time. Now I love fencing but not enough to get up that early. By the time I got a chance to actually sit and watch, I had missed the round of 64 entirely as well as the round of 32. I usually picked it up in the middle of the round of 16.[/quote]well, I was out for a meal with my folks during GB's 'golden hour' on Saturday (Ennis winning the heptathlon, Rutherford the long jump, Farah the 10K). Luckily the beeb is also storing the stream so I can watch it (probably need to do it this week though). I take in NBC aren't doing the same, and I don't think we are doing it for anything other than the stuff broadcast on the main channels.

I really wish I could have seen the traithlon though. Gold & Bronze for the Brownlees!
Statesman

Post 07 Aug 2012, 3:07 pm

ruffhaus
That was a tough way to lose a game for Canada, Ricky, so your graciousness is aplauded. They really poured their hearts out there, and with the exception of thugess Melissa Tancredi, I was impressed with their skill, spirit, and sportsmanship.

Leave Tank alone. Unbiased viewers often mistake her for a certain American striker who is also rough and tumble and physically dominating. And who fouled as often as melissa did...although if you know womens soccer well, you know they are all just love taps.
You did notice how bloody tough these women are ? No rolling around and playing up a little knock....

In Canada no one is dismissing the American girls achievement. BTW , at least one of the Americans is actually Canadian. And there's an American playing for Canada.
But the referee missed an obvious hand ball by Rapino about the 70th minute. And then , called a 6 second penalty for an indirect kick that is NEVER called. And then a hand ball on MS. Nault that was definitley ball to hand.
If this had been consistently reffed, Canada would have had a penalty kick when the score was 3-2.... OR the handball that got the PK to tie it up would never have happened. The general feeling is that the girls were jobbed by the refering.
But, the player on the post... The first American goal came only becasue the Canadian on the post left her position. The third Sinclair goal wouldn't have mattered if the player was on the post. She could never have reached that ball. And she was only two feet from the post anyway.

How does the online broadcast look?
In Canada we get pretty much every event live on one of 6 channels. Then replayed in the evening.... With CBC buying the next two events we expect all events will be broadcast on the Internet... Now that I have an internet ready HD television I'm looking forward to it...
Statesman

Post 08 Aug 2012, 4:02 am

How do you get the online streaming? Yle (here in Finland) coverage has been great at times, pretty spotty at others. I missed all of the fencing. I've been fencing for 30 years, and with the U.S. finally having a decent team, I was hoping for some coverage. You could say the U.S. underperformed in London, but I think that 1x3rd, 3x4th, and 4x top 8 finishes is not bad.

As for the soccer, I didn't see the U.S.-Canada game, so I can't comment on the overall refereeing, but I have seen the clip of Tancredi's stomp on Carli Lloyd: it sure looks deliberate to me. Had the ref seen it, it should have been a straight red card. Who knows how the game would have gone with Canada playing with 10 for the last 35 minutes.
Ambassador

Post 08 Aug 2012, 5:42 am

I suspect that the BBC streaming is only available if you are coming from a UK IP address, and likewise the NBC streaming will be limited to USA IP addresses. So, if your nation's broadcasters are not offering it (and there isn't a seperate online deal), it would take IP spoofing to do it.
Dignitary

Post 08 Aug 2012, 7:46 am

Rude,

I think Danivon has it right. Here in the States, it is at NBCOlympics.com but I don't know if you could get access to that in Finland. though, if I remember correctly, you work at the U.S. Embassy, so if you are in embassy housing, it might be different.
Statesman

Post 08 Aug 2012, 9:39 am

U.S. Soccer notes in its advice to referees:
“Infringement of the six-second rule is sometimes misinterpreted,” the federation noted in its Ask a Referee online column. “The count starts when the goalkeeper is preparing to release the ball, not when he or she actually gains possession. Why? Because very often the goalkeeper has to disentangle him-/herself from other players or move around fallen players, and it would be unfair to begin the count in such a case.”
But such minute distinctions are secondary to the overriding principle emphasized to referees: to not blow the whistle for offences deemed trifling.
“Technically the goalkeeper must release the ball within six seconds of having established full control, which would not count rising from the ground or stopping their run (if they had to run) to gain the ball,” U.S. Soccer noted. “However, goalkeepers throughout the world routinely violate the six-second rule without punishment if the referee is convinced that the goalkeeper is making a best effort.”
Moreover, U.S. Soccer advised referees in a 2010 memorandum, “Before penalizing a goalkeeper for violating this time limit, the referee should warn the goalkeeper about such actions and then should penalize the violation only if the goalkeeper continues to waste time or commits a comparable infringement again later in the match

http://www.thestar.com/sports/london201 ... ffles-many
Ambassador

Post 08 Aug 2012, 9:58 am

So... If she'd been warned about timewasting by holding for too long beforehand, the ref would be in order to penalise with an indirect FK from where she was.

You can't win 'em all, Canada. Just put it down to experience and consider that if your team was destined to win, the result would not have been so close.

So, Japan double, then?