Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Statesman

Post 08 Aug 2012, 2:19 pm

1) She wasn't warned by the referee officially.
2) In the entire history of the EPL, the call has been made exactly once. In 1992, .And there was a huge stink over the call then.
3) At some point I'll find video of the non-call on Megan Rapino handling the ball in the box...
Ambassador

Post 08 Aug 2012, 2:31 pm

Officially? The only official warning is a yellow card. But the referee can tell a player 'do that again, and I'll book you / give a free kick and as long as it's covered by the rules - as above, that suffices. Did you think he had to give it writing?

I know that the call is rare in professional football. However, timewasting calls are common in some international tournaments, and the keeper holding the ball for too long is a form of timewasting.
Emissary

Post 08 Aug 2012, 4:45 pm

Damn, you guys will really argue about anything.

Has anyone been watching the Olympic Basketball? There's been some great games not involving the USA. Russia's buzzer beater comes to mind most of all. I wonder if the USA - Argentina game is going to become an all-out brawl based on how chippy the last game was.
Statesman

Post 09 Aug 2012, 7:00 am

Archduke-
Thanks for the link. I tried, but NBCOlympics.com only works in the U.S. or territories. I did find a Yle web-streaming site, but their archive is spotty. Good memory: I'm in embassy housing, but its leased, and I have a commercial internet service, so no special access.
Statesman

Post 09 Aug 2012, 9:20 am

dan
Officially? The only official warning is a yellow card. But the referee can tell a player 'do that again, and I'll book you / give a free kick and as long as it's covered by the rules - as above, that suffices. Did you think he had to give it writing?

The referee never talked to the Keeper about either time wasting OR the 6 second rule. Good management of the game by the official, would have seen that occur. A yellow card would also have sufficed without creating a potentially game changing moment.
What the referee gave into was Abby Wambaugh, who position herself within hearing of the referree and counted loudly every time there was a ball in McLeods hands. (I don't blame Wambaugh for the gamesmanship, only a referree who caved to it...) The fact that FIFA felt it important to announce that the referee was done at the Olympics is as close to acknowledgement of failure on the refs part as we'll get.

I know that the call is rare in professional football. However, timewasting calls are common in some international tournaments, and the keeper holding the ball for too long is a form of timewasting.

Rare? Since 1992 there have been 760 EPL games played. And the call was made once. In 92. And created a major controversy.
Timewasting is usually handled with a yellow card isn't it?

Anyway. The girls eked out a win against a better French side today, so there's a little justice.
I'm pulling for the Japanese in the gold medal game....
Ambassador

Post 09 Aug 2012, 11:41 am

Anyway, now the Canucks have their bronze, can we move on?

First ever women's boxing gold was awarded today (to GB's Nicola Adams), and shortly after Katie Taylor of Ireland won her gold, after pushing for years to get the sport added to the roster (now all Olympic sports allow both sexes).

The crowd cheering the Saudi woman athlete Sarah Attar as she completed her heat, and Kirani James swapping name-sheets with Oliver Pistorius after the 400m Semi were both examples of more than just sporting excellence, but sportsmanship.

It's now officially GB's best Olympics since 1908 (when home advantage meant a bit more, we had all of Ireland to draw from and fewer countries attended), which is making us a happy nation :wink:
Ambassador

Post 09 Aug 2012, 12:11 pm

Just watched the men's 800m final. That was some WR!
Ambassador

Post 09 Aug 2012, 12:32 pm

I've been enjoying the Olympics too, although it certainly eats up a ton of time. Swimming, women's gymnastics, and track are my favorite categories. My biggest complaint about NBC's coverage is that it felt like their top priority so far was "all volleyball, all the time". Also, in my time zone, virtually everything is delayed by many hours, and they are very inconsistent about how much info they let slip about results before they broadcast the actual event.

The Winter Olympics are usually tougher on me. The schedule is enough shorter that I feel like I should be able to watch everything. With the Summer Games, that's simply impossible, so I just settle for whatever I manage to watch.

I've also been glad to see Great Britain's accomplishments. I was a little worried about their slow start, but they've made up for that (and then some) now.
Ambassador

Post 09 Aug 2012, 1:17 pm

BOOM! Bolt does the double-double and Jamaica clean sweep the 200m
Emissary

Post 09 Aug 2012, 1:52 pm

That soccer game was crazy. The Americans won because they took their chances better than the Japanese did. I would say the Japanese women were definitely more skilled throughout the game though, they just couldn't take their chances well.
Statesman

Post 09 Aug 2012, 2:13 pm

danivon
now all Olympic sports allow both sexes

I believe men are still excluded from synchronized swimming and rythmic gymnastics.
Wisely.
Administrator

Post 09 Aug 2012, 3:01 pm

rickyp wrote:danivon
now all Olympic sports allow both sexes

I believe men are still excluded from synchronized swimming and rythmic gymnastics.
Wisely.

Discrimination!! (thank God!)
Ambassador

Post 09 Aug 2012, 3:20 pm

I meant the 26 sports. Synchro comes under 'Aquatics' and Rhythmic comes under 'Gymnastics'. But perhaps we should strive for further equality.
Dignitary

Post 11 Aug 2012, 7:46 pm

I'm not one of the legion of (uneducated?) Canadian fans who cried foul following that game. I felt that the call was ridiculously inappropriate. I have seen keepers punished for time wasting. The usual form of that is a yellow card. Using Randy's link as a guide, I'd have expected a yellow card at any point in the second half., especially as there was a warning at the break. That would have been appropriate. Not a free kick inside the box with 13 minutes to go. At that point, any ref should realize they are risking impacting the game with a huge amount of significance. If Pederson was that annoyed, she should have carded McLeod early in the 2nd half. It controls the game but doesn't impact the game.

The hand ball call - I've seen worse. It hurts a bit more because it's Canada, but I've seen worse. Very hard call to make at the time. Nault is trying to block the ball without getting absolutely gutted by the ball. It's a no win situation. Much harder for women too, as you have to somehow cover upwards of 5 areas of their bodies that particularly sensitive.

But I won't cry foul because that would say that Canada deserved the win over the US. And that I simply don't agree with. That's not to say the Americans deserved the win more than Canada, just that neither team really outplayed the other. Both sides showed brilliance and both sides showed crucial, if not amateur, mistakes. All in all, a fantastic game and at the best time possible. With the World Cup in Canada in 2015, I really, really hope the game produced some momentum that can be carried through until then.
Dignitary

Post 11 Aug 2012, 7:59 pm

As for the REST of the Olympics, I think GB has done a bang up job. I am absolutely loving the internet streaming and the ability to watch any sport, any time.

Admittedly, I'm half-Brit (if I ever get around to filing those citizenship papers...), so I'm a little biased. I get to cheer for two countries that traditionally focus in different sports. It's a win-win scenario!

There have been so many excellent moments during these Games and I'm pretty disappointed that it's almost over. I'm not looking forward to Sochi and I'm sceptical about Rio. The one thing Rio has going for them is that their stadia will have to be complete for the 2014 WC, so they shouldn't have construction timing issues.