Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 26 Oct 2020, 1:12 pm

Howdy Gents,

I've been receiving e-mails asking how my health was and if I ever
intended to run another Gunslinger Blind game. Well, I'm in fair
health. I've survived two heart attacks and a year and a half later
I'm still alive. There was no tissue damage, so I was supremely
lucky. I'm not 100%, but at my age, who is?

So all you trigger happy gents. Who's up for walking the streets of
No Name City again?

To Join, please contact me at tdchistorian@gmail.com or post here your desire to play. This game does NOT have a character limit. In the past it has had between 25 and 45 players. You will also need the Gunslinger Vassal Mod. And I will supply that, because I have the latest and greatest, which is NOT the one on Vassal or Limey Yank. There is also a Module Extension with extra boards, again not posted anywhere. These were constructed specifically for me and for Blind Play. Regular MSWord and MSExcel are also useful.

When I calculate we've waited long enough for recruiting, I will proceed with distributing special rules, which is fortunately not extensive. Characters are generated randomly. And weapons are purchased through a system that allows a random money system. And of course, being a Blind GM'd game you will only be able to see characters in your aim zone. In the past the system I've used for directional gunfire (i.e. "you heard a gunshot distantly to your right rear") will be simplified. It tended to confuse people. What is "Distant" or Near or Close or Immediate? Players tended to forget the differences, and even I had to look them up. So we will make this simpler.

Anyway, it's time now to contact me and for me to begin building a player list from which to work.

Good Luck and Happy Hunting
Tom
Adjutant

Post 27 Oct 2020, 4:54 pm

We presently have 11, not bad for only 24 hours. As usual, I will hold off on many organizing things until we are closer to 20 ... or more. The last half dozen Blind games have had more than 20, 2 over 30, and one was 42. Have always hoped for 50, but we're all getting older and the number of us still healthy enough and willing to spend what can take as long as 18 months (maybe more - I've known that to occur) to complete a game is getting fewer and fewer.

But we're progressing. Even 11 can be fun if constricted to 1 board.

Good Luck & Good Hunting,
Tom
Adjutant

Post 28 Oct 2020, 10:07 pm

14 as of tonight.
Adjutant

Post 30 Oct 2020, 10:31 pm

We're now 17. I hope to see 3 more players (maybe this weekend?) bringing us to 20 and then I'll begin sending set up information and the like.
Adjutant

Post 06 Nov 2020, 2:45 pm

Howdy Gents,

The current game now has 19 players. We are still in the set up phase of the game. Player Characteristics have been calculated. Players are now attempting to buy their preferred weapons. The limit has been set to 1881 (the time of the Ok Coral fight). The map has been set. I've limited it to only 4 panels, which calculates to 5 players, more or less, for each board, which should provide plenty of room to separate players during initial set up so no one gets shot in the back on Turn 1 (not very fun especially for newbies and something the professional gunmen that play this game rather enjoy with an evil grin).

Take Care,
Tom
Indy Car Driver (Pro IV)

Post 20 Nov 2020, 4:12 pm

No Name City!

No Name City 2021 Small.png
Adjutant

Post 20 Nov 2020, 5:55 pm

I wish I could post more than this. Being a Blind GM'd game I can't reveal more than a general description because it would give away the locations of the players.

What I can do is provide general descriptions:

Turn 1 ended with four players out of 20 catching a glimpse of each other. Two of them were canny enough to duck back out of sight before the end of Turn 1 so all they got was a fleeting glimpse. The other two, however, came nose to nose with each other at the end of their turns. I'm sure they were quite surprised when each rounded the same corner. Many of the other players are newbies with teething problems learning the rules. There were many stumbles, but they will learn .... if the professional gunmen playing this game don't make short work of them first.

Good Luck & Good Hunting,
Tom
Adjutant

Post 22 Nov 2020, 1:34 pm

Howdy Gents,

I think one of the most important duties of a GM, especially for new players, is to point out rules errors as they occur so those who read here might learn from "experience" so to speak.

Last turn there were several instances of the same error. Players lost track of the facing of their characters and named the wrong direction to turn. Additionally players forgot that the Turn Action permits a change of direction of only ONE hexside. The other error regarding Turning has to do with the Advance, Run, and Sprint Actions. These Actions permit players to move their pieces on the board in a specific direction, BUT you cannot change the FACING of the character. This is a very important quirk in the rules.

Another common error, happened more than once last turn, was players didn't realize the Head In/Out Action required players to place their head counters in the Straight Ahead hex. The rules allow a player's head counter to be in any hex within the Aim Zone of his Body Counter, but FIRST that head counter MUST be placed in the Directly Straight Ahead hex. Later you can execute Turn such that your body counter is facing to either side of the head counter, which permits the head counter to remain in the Aim Zone. This too is a requirement of a Head Counter, it MUST remain in the Body Counter's Aim Zone. But I reiterate the Head Counter MUST FIRST be placed in the Straight Ahead hex. There is also a rule that says that if anyone tries to put their head through a wall, because they forgot about the Straight Ahead rule, then they must draw 2 Delay Cards Penalty. OOPS!

That does it for the Turn 1 Installment of Errors.
Adjutant

Post 23 Nov 2020, 1:39 pm

Turn 2 began with a very hurried shot by one of the gentlemen who last turn found himself nose to nose with an opponent at the corner of a building. One of the most important lessons to learn about Gunslinger is that the game, as in life, rewards he who takes time to AIM at his opponent. This explained, you can imagine the result. If he hit anything it was air.

One player lost track of where he was and stumbled into a wall ... twice, coming away with only a couple delay, fortunate that.

Late in the turn, on the last segment, the second of our gunmen at the corner opened fire, having taken time to Aim. And yet, nose to nose, with sufficient Aim Time, he still missed (the luck of the draw). This reiterates the need to take time, though in this instance it would have made no difference. But the point is he WAITED and AIMED before wasting lead.

Elsewhere on the board two of the most dangerous of our professional gunmen came into each other's company inside a building. This has set the stage for a most violent end for one, or both of them. The professionals in this deadly game don't waste time killing each other. Let us see what happens next turn.

And in a third confrontation just emerging, another of our professional gunmen has had a newbie stumble into the street directly in front of him. Unless the newbie is quick of mind, this gunman will kill him "dead'er 'n hell" (to quote Bo Hopkins - The Culpepper Cattle Company).

A fourth duel is about to erupt. Though no one can tell what will happen this this one. Both characters are quite some distance apart, but are in clear sight of each other. Will a long range exhibition of marksmanship erupt, or will one or both of them decide to duck out of sight. Both will have the time since the distance requires quite alot of Aim Time, time which can be translated into movement well before either of them get a chance to shoot.

The No Name Gazette will report all the news when available.
Adjutant

Post 29 Nov 2020, 10:59 pm

No Name City has seen its latest fatality tonight. It just goes to show you it's not wise to play in the streeet. There were other attempts at gunplay, not one of them hit their mark. The wisdom of taking your time to aim seems never to be heeded.

Only one player seems to have had a problem catching on to the most basic of rules. He stumbled into a wall for the 2nd time in three turns. One might think he had a bit too much redeye. Other than this single instance, the players, the newbies, are getting the hang of basic movement.