Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 08 Apr 2019, 5:21 pm

From the period when the draft is complete until the day after the MLB All-Star game, teams are limited to a salary cap of $270.

Trades which would cause a team to exceed this cap are null and the commissioner will reverse the trade immediately. Teams may trade multiple players or drop a player as part of the trade transaction to stay under the cap.
Adjutant

Post 10 Apr 2019, 5:15 am

I really don't like this idea or at least that there is so little wiggle room. This helps teams that have friendly contracts and hurts those that do not. Trading one guy is not collusion. Had I traded all my best non keepers for a set of guys could be collusion. When I said that Freeman was available nobody started to shout then that it shouldn't happen. He was publicly announced to be available. The min a cap should be heading to the All-Star break should be 350. The All Star break is halfway into the year. Had this rule been in place all it would have done was have Matt make sure that he didn't trade Freeman away in the first place because there would be no shot of acquiring him post auction.

How does this help teams that come out of the auction who could be a fringe team (spent money at auction) but are LOADED with future value... they could be forced to wait until the All Star break to start trading that talent of which it will be too late for them to make up ground on the teams that already had a healthy roster post auction.
Adjutant

Post 10 Apr 2019, 6:38 am

This also doesn't make sense to me, as it only advantages the teams with strong rosters and reduces the number of viable strategies to compete. I imagine we want to let rebuilding teams trade their rentals for some value in return but limit the number of elite players that can end up on any one team as a result. I think an in-season cap of $300 plus an increase in second and third contract inflation would work.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 10 Apr 2019, 1:45 pm

More Fantrax poking.

You can set both in-season salary caps AND salary minimums. That makes this potentially compelling.
Adjutant

Post 21 May 2019, 2:46 am

It would have done a lot more than stop Matt from letting go of Freeman in the first place. You have to consider the cascading effects.

If he kept Freeman, he’d have had $42 less in the Auction, and no Verlander.

Teams in down years would spend their auction dollars on prospects and low-priced fliers.

The Freeman trade still could even happen! It would just require Matt to have traded more than just prospects who are years away. Or wait until Alll-Star break.

If the non-competitive team isn’t thinking “this year”, what does it matter to them whether this trade gets made in April or in July?
Adjutant

Post 21 May 2019, 3:17 am

I’m open to considering a different cap number, btw.

Another variation on this proposal is to not have a cap number, but to take away FA$ to cover the trade diff. So if a player acquired a $40 player for a $1 player, they have to forfeit some amount of FA$ to the bank - it could be the full diff or some percentage thereof. Thus, a team making this trade early has to consider the risk of losing so much acquisition budget with so much of the season left to go.
Adjutant

Post 21 May 2019, 5:55 am

I'm open to the FA budget value. I think it should be a cascading % that lowers as the season goes on. Also I think that both teams should have to potentially incur the penalty. This should not just be a bargaining chip for the better team. I'm open to allowing the two teams to decide how this penalty is broken up. But the overall % must be met.

We could have 6 tier drops:

100% Matchups 1, 2 and 3
80% Matchups 4, 5 and 6
60% Matchups 7, 8 and 9
40% Matchups 10, 11 and 12
20% Matchups 13, 14 and 15
0% Matchups 16+

I think this should only apply to trades that involve at least one rookie contract.

Example: Freddie Freeman + Craig Kimbrel = 58, Hoerner + Alvarez + Honeywell = 3, 58-3=55. All 55 dollars would have to have been accounted for in this deal between the two teams as a loss to the bank.