Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 08 Apr 2019, 1:51 pm

Copy of Matt's 2017 proposal (voted down):

Limit on number of contract years

1. Each year a player is under contract prior to reaching Free Agency (FA) represents a year of Service Time (ST).
2. After six years of ST, players have reached FA and must enter the auction.
3. Upon completion of their FA year, players may then be placed back under renewable contracts with a maximum contract of one year only.
4. Buyout years do not count towards ST.
5. Rookie contracts do not count towards ST.
6. A multi-year contract cannot be written past a players ST limit.
7. Transition: The system becomes operational with 20XX keeper contracts wherein ALL players begin with zero ST. Existing contract years extending into 20XX and beyond will count towards ST.
8. Matt will be responsible for keeping ST information current and public.
Adjutant

Post 09 Apr 2019, 6:50 pm

I would propose we back calculate ST for existing players. Existing grandfathered contracts would not be voided, but any player who is at or above 6 years ST at the end of this season AND not under a grandfathered contract for next season (or two) is declared an FA.

This might make next year’s auction too crazy though. I’d want to see just how many guys this means are going back to the pool.
Adjutant

Post 10 Apr 2019, 5:18 am

I too like the idea of backdating and don't have any issues with the talent pool being large.
Adjutant

Post 10 Apr 2019, 5:22 am

Also I think that if a player goes to Auction that his ST should reset to 0, rather than only getting 1 year contracts going forward. I think that players going to auction is enough to reset a players value and don't want to completely hamper teams from finding good value at auction if they can. Otherwise rookies will be given even more value.
Adjutant

Post 21 May 2019, 3:11 am

I don’t think resetting the ST clock makes sense - it’s more paperwork than it’s worth then. If you wanted to reset the ST clock, the simpler implementation is “players can only be renewed twice before going back into the Auction” , right?