Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 08 May 2019, 4:16 am

What do people think about the concept of requiring balanced rosters?

There are a bunch of people who literally don't even roster enough players at the appropriate positions to field a full team. I recognize there might be times when players are on the IL on teams without sufficient depth, but it's becoming a really annoying issue that seems to defy the spirit of the game.

I'd like to propose an amendment requiring teams to at least roster the appropriate players to field a complete team, even if they aren't positionally assigned. I'd personally prefer they remain assigned, but I know I won't win that one.

I might even be willing to cede allowing a single position remain unfilled, but I'm seeing extreme examples.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 08 May 2019, 8:50 am

You can have Fantrax require an active player for every slot. Fantrax does warn that this setting can make roster transactions more difficult.

I set it up for testing at FT and at least one owner's roster is now illegal :smile:.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 10 May 2019, 7:03 pm

Ok, this is a no go on using the Fantrax settings. I can't even put a player on the IR without running afoul of the min. requirement.

It's a nice thought but unless it's automated in some fashion, I don't see it as viable.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 10 May 2019, 7:10 pm

If owners are not competing (hoarding rookies or minor leaguers), an effective method of minimizing this might be to limit the number of minor leaguers on the rosters. This can be done and it's already an amendment proposal.

You can also set a maximum number of rookies but that seems a bit more complex. I'll look into it, though.
Adjutant

Post 21 May 2019, 8:51 am

Give each team dedicated minor league slots that only minor leaguers can be slotted into. Then make it illegal to put minor leaguers into the active roster selection. Make it illegal to make transactions if a MLB rostered player is in the minor league pool. Like say stashing vlad there and not using him, if he's active. This would have drawbacks for the minor leagues that get called up and then sent back down, but if the team doesn't make any moves during that time it shouldn't be an issue.
Adjutant

Post 21 May 2019, 9:48 am

Yeah, I think the minor league amendment takes care of it. I would prefer not to have dedicated slots as part of the strategy is what to do with those 6 precious bench slots.
Adjutant

Post 21 May 2019, 10:04 am

2013 Slugs: "Hey...why are you guys looking at me like that! I was an expansion team.."
Adjutant

Post 21 May 2019, 10:13 am

The minor league amendment shall also be known as the Sitting Ducks rule..
Adjutant

Post 21 May 2019, 11:19 am

Am I making my minimums? isn't that the requirement? Didn't we go through this already and that is what we came up with?
Adjutant

Post 21 May 2019, 4:50 pm

That's all that is required now.
Adjutant

Post 22 May 2019, 5:23 am

My point was that we just added the minimum AB's recently, we seem to be really bad at making rules changes if we have to go and completely change them again so soon after.

A lot of the contention on what teams are doing have been after we have expanded to 16 teams. With this amount of teams it's just not feasible to have all of them compete and when you know you can't win, you should be able to prepare for the future. It's pretty lame to have to trot out mediocre guys and just watch your team faile at 2-7-1 week in and week out. And that is exactly how my team would be if I had to fill in all the slots. I would not be able to curate and have a team that can compete at OBP/SLG My team would be worse if I was forced to fill all the slots. The rule isn't going to change the fact that a team rebuilds. It will just change that the team will be forced to trot out crap players after they have traded away their better ones, probably multiple players now for a single good prospect and then pick up waiver wire fodder to fill in the missing gap.
Dignitary

Post 22 May 2019, 7:35 am

bradsour wrote:My point was that we just added the minimum AB's recently, we seem to be really bad at making rules changes if we have to go and completely change them again so soon after.

A lot of the contention on what teams are doing have been after we have expanded to 16 teams. With this amount of teams it's just not feasible to have all of them compete and when you know you can't win, you should be able to prepare for the future. It's pretty lame to have to trot out mediocre guys and just watch your team faile at 2-7-1 week in and week out. And that is exactly how my team would be if I had to fill in all the slots. I would not be able to curate and have a team that can compete at OBP/SLG My team would be worse if I was forced to fill all the slots. The rule isn't going to change the fact that a team rebuilds. It will just change that the team will be forced to trot out crap players after they have traded away their better ones, probably multiple players now for a single good prospect and then pick up waiver wire fodder to fill in the missing gap.

I completely support everything Brad is saying.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 07 Jun 2019, 9:56 am

I changed this amendment to maximum number of rookies.

It is a fairly easy setting at Fantrax and turns out to be much simpler than restricting minor league players.
Adjutant

Post 21 Dec 2023, 3:30 am

Allocating specific minor league slots exclusively for minor league players could bring more structure to team management. This approach would prohibit placing minor leaguers in active roster spots, ensuring clear boundaries between major and minor league players. Additionally, implementing rules against conducting transactions when a major league player is in the minor league pool would prevent strategies like keeping an active player like Vlad Guerrero Jr. in the minors without using him. While this system might present challenges for players who oscillate between leagues, as long