Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 24 May 2012, 9:02 am

http://windycityweasels.org/wdc

Planes, trains and automobiles--be there!

When: August 10-12, 2012.

Where: Chicago's historic Congress Plaza Hotel, 520 S. Michigan Ave., Chicago, IL 60605.

What: A five-round Diplomacy tournament to crown the world champion. After the fourth round, the players will be ranked by their top three scores. The seven best will compete on a top board in the final round for the world championship. All players, including those on the top board, also will vie for the titles of North American Champion and lpha Weasel zeta, the Weasel Moot VI champion. Those two titles, as well as the official Grand Prix ranking, will be based on best three of five rounds.

Tournament Management: The Weasels will use software to manage the tournament. All boards except the top board will be seeded randomly.

Schedule:
Friday, August 10
Round 1
Board Call: 9:45 a.m.

Round 2
Board Call: 7 p.m.
The Friday night round will be Hat Night. Best lid wins a prize.

Saturday, August 11
Round 3
The Saturday morning round will be the team tournament. The best team will be recognized.

Round 4
Board Call: 7 p.m.

Sunday, August 12
Round 5
The final round will feature a top board, with seven players competing for the world championship. Anyone in the field, however, can win the North American and Weasel Moot titles.

The tournament will end at a predetermined time between 3 p.m. and 5 p.m. The awards ceremony will follow within 30 minutes of the end of the tournament.
Ambassador

Post 24 May 2012, 9:03 am

Yes, I will be there--in case that is a motivator or demotivator.

If you've never been to a real tournament, you are missing a great time.
Emissary

Post 24 May 2012, 10:08 am

That sounds like it would work as a formet for our Redscape tournament. We'd probably struggle to get that number of games in though.
Ambassador

Post 24 May 2012, 12:24 pm

Sassenach wrote:That sounds like it would work as a formet for our Redscape tournament. We'd probably struggle to get that number of games in though.

If you're talking pbem, that's true.

Do you mean the FTF event? The main things are space and people.

The DC area guys have a gigantic FTF base from which to draw, if they want to go beyond Redscape.
Emissary

Post 24 May 2012, 1:01 pm

Well yes, I was talking pbem. I don't even know anybody who plays ftf, or for that matter who even owns a Diplomacy board.
Ambassador

Post 24 May 2012, 3:40 pm

Sass, if you are free on the weekend of 21st July, ManorCon in Leicester is a good place for ftf (and a whole load of other games) or there's MidCon in Derby in November.
Ambassador

Post 24 May 2012, 7:10 pm

Sassenach wrote:Well yes, I was talking pbem. I don't even know anybody who plays ftf, or for that matter who even owns a Diplomacy board.

That's just crazy talk!

I have 3 different American sets, a German set, a Canadian set, a French set and . . . yes, a British set.

Ftf is 20x a better game than pbem.

As for ManorCon, I think it once had a Dip tournament of 300+ or some such number.
Ambassador

Post 25 May 2012, 12:22 am

Don't know about that. It's normally about 15-20 people over the three rounds. I play just one round usually.
Ambassador

Post 25 May 2012, 9:40 am

I think Riaz has entered semi-retirement from the hobby. Like many "foolish" young men, he's putting family first. :upset:

We'll see. I know he just spent big bucks on a West coast swing. He's a lot of fun to have on a board and to hang out with. There's a lot of fun folks.

Sure, they drink too much and are too liberal, but I don't drink enough (for them) and am too conservative--and yet they rarely pillory me for it.

My secret: I've found that the Brits, especially, are masterful when sober, so I don't mind at all when they start putting them down. Unless, of course, I'm allied with them. In that case, I demand complete sobriety.
Ambassador

Post 25 May 2012, 9:41 am

RUFFHAUS 8 wrote:Steve, I'm going to try to make this tourney. I need to check with the kids on schedules and vacations, and all that other crap, but this sounds awesome. I'd love to attend one of these. We should get Riaz to go!

You will not only have a great time, you will also meet some excellent players from the DC area.
Dignitary

Post 06 Jun 2012, 6:05 pm

I am tempted to play in this one. I went to the one in Denver in 2004--a lot of great players from all over the world. Steve was at that one, too. We didn't play on the same board; my brother was on the same board with Steve and did not fare so well...
Ambassador

Post 07 Jun 2012, 6:49 am

freeman2 wrote:I am tempted to play in this one. I went to the one in Denver in 2004--a lot of great players from all over the world. Steve was at that one, too. We didn't play on the same board; my brother was on the same board with Steve and did not fare so well...

It's going to be a huge affair and a lot of fun. This is the second-biggest group of Dip-players in North America (only to the DC area). There will surely be Brits and probably some Aussies as well.

I can't remember much of my performance in Denver. There was a lot of behind the scenes commotion (an alleged theft that turned out to be nothing) and some kind of ruckus with the hotel. All in all, it was a fantastic time. It was my first trip to Denver, a city which I now know like the back of my hand.

In any event, if you enjoy the game, it is infinitely better FTF, and 10X more exciting in a tournament setting. This is going to be a first-class experience. I personally guarantee it.

If it turns out to be less than stellar for you personally, Riaz will buy you a beer.
Ambassador

Post 07 Jun 2012, 6:50 am

:winkgrin:

Of course, I have no indication that Riaz is coming, mind you . . .
Ambassador

Post 13 Aug 2012, 12:00 pm

I have to tell you all--you missed a GREAT event!

I do have good news: next year's World Championship is in Paris. Better news: rooms are free for non-Europeans!

I did okay. I have some amazing stories--like playing France and having England open to the Channel on me, ending '01 in MAO and Eng. He kept trying to take Bre . . . for three years! It's a long story, but one of the most difficult games I've ever played.
Dignitary

Post 15 Aug 2012, 6:13 pm

So tell us more! How did you wind up? Who else was there? Who was the overall winner? Any scandals? I'm sorry I couldn't make it, even though I'm must a hop-and-a-skip over in Minneapolis! But glad to hear you had a great experience.

So how does a tournament like that work?