Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 16 Aug 2012, 3:34 pm

The overall winner was Doc Binder (a genuine doctor).

I was 7th out of 80.

This should give some insight: http://www.windycityweasels.org/wdc

How does it work?

Well, a bunch of folks fly in--from as far away as New Zealand and Australia. There were, I think, 4 Europeans (3 French, one from the Netherlands).

After everyone checks in at the appointed time, a computer program assigns boards and countries. There is a central clock (at most events) so all games have to move at the same pace. The central clock also features "drop dead timing," meaning when the clock hits zero all order-writing must cease.

There is a scoring system. In this case, it was squaring of the number of sc's owned and determining the percentage of the overall total. It was a best 3 of 5 rounds. I played Russia, England, Austria, France, and Italy. I had only one common opponent in the five rounds and that was due to two brothers being on the same board. They swapped one out for a player I'd met previously.

There was a final board, which I narrowly missed. That was my goal, so in that sense, I failed. I did have a terrific time though.

Next year: it's in the DC area.
Dignitary

Post 23 Aug 2012, 1:14 pm

7th out of 80 when number 6 was Edi Brisan? Not too shabby! Sorry you didn't make your goal, but I'm impressed with how you did. Great job!
Ambassador

Post 23 Aug 2012, 1:26 pm

geojanes wrote:7th out of 80 when number 6 was Edi Brisan? Not too shabby! Sorry you didn't make your goal, but I'm impressed with how you did. Great job!

Thank you.

My resume is long and has some nice finishes on it. However, I'm kind of the bridesmaid when it comes to Dipcon--everywhere from 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc., to much lower.

I may recount the experience in Diplomacy World, which everyone should read every quarter. BTW, if you do, you'll see how tantalizingly close I was to making that top board. That issue will be out in October.
Dignitary

Post 24 Aug 2012, 9:32 pm

So the question, Steve, is how is the diplomacy of Diplomacy different in a tourney, as opposed to here, for example. That is, nuts & bolts of negotiating. Is there a really different mindset or approach that you utilize there but not here? Granted, forum and Otto games provide much more time to indulge. But is it ONLY an issue of time that makes a difference?

Or is it more or less like any FTF game?

George
Ambassador

Post 25 Aug 2012, 8:16 am

georgeatkins wrote:So the question, Steve, is how is the diplomacy of Diplomacy different in a tourney, as opposed to here, for example. That is, nuts & bolts of negotiating. Is there a really different mindset or approach that you utilize there but not here? Granted, forum and Otto games provide much more time to indulge. But is it ONLY an issue of time that makes a difference?

Or is it more or less like any FTF game?

George

It is vastly different. First of all, people actually talk to you! How many games have we all experienced via pbem where a couple of players write, but most barely manage a "sounds good?"

Second, these tournaments tend to run on centralized "drop dead" timing. So, at the end of 18 minutes (spring) and 16 minutes (Fall), all orders MUST be in. They were a little loose in Chicago (one particular player kept a game I was in waiting for 1 1/2 minutes), so I called it "drop mostly dead" timing. What is SUPPOSED to happen is that an nmr is declared if you don't have your orders in.

Everything is done "on the clock," including retreats and adjudications, even draw votes. So, as the game goes on, the amount of time given to negotiations seems woefully inadequate. It's a lot of pressure, especially if you're not used to it.

Third, what I do: without giving away all my secrets :eek: , I focus on a few things:

1. Writing all my units down during adjudication and/or building.
2. Writing all "obvious" moves down during early negotiations. I write while I'm talking to other players. With drop dead timing, you have no choice. Typically, if your orders aren't in the box, it's ugly.
3. Remind myself to be concerned with the whole board, not just what is next to me. For example, I was playing Italy and there was a strong EG v. F. I had a 2-time world champion next to me in Austria, a world-class player in Turkey, and someone I cannot trust in Russia. Obviously, I had to watch the East very carefully, but I did not want to ignore the west and thus end up sandwiched. During one adjudication, I saw the most obvious next move for EG. I told F what I thought he should do, he did, and it worked. It was so stunning to EG that they literally took a whole turn to just sit there. That was the second-sweetest moment of the weekend for me.
4. The other thing that is not often considered is how physically demanding 5 games in 3 days is. Knowing this, I went to bed early on Thursday night. There is no substitute for sleep.

Hopefully, that is somewhat helpful.

I cannot stress enough how much more fun this kind of atmosphere is. It dwarfs any other form of Diplomacy.
Dignitary

Post 25 Aug 2012, 8:51 am

I believe it. That does sound exhilarating. I used to think that the longer deadlines of PBM and PBEM would foster deeper strategies and more analysis. Sadly, that doesn't seem to bear out. As you indicate, a lot of time, players simply check in once in awhile, do a quick nod, and check out. But, I think I'm going to have to try out one of these live tourneys. I'm ashamed to admit that I've never been to one.
Ambassador

Post 25 Aug 2012, 8:58 am

georgeatkins wrote:I believe it. That does sound exhilarating. I used to think that the longer deadlines of PBM and PBEM would foster deeper strategies and more analysis. Sadly, that doesn't seem to bear out. As you indicate, a lot of time, players simply check in once in awhile, do a quick nod, and check out. But, I think I'm going to have to try out one of these live tourneys. I'm ashamed to admit that I've never been to one.

Many players have not. And, that's a shame.

It was also nice to be in the Chicago tournament because they had the game's inventor, Alan Calhammer, there. He's is older and his health appears a bit fragile. He received a genuinely rousing ovation on Saturday--it went on for several minutes.

If you want to contact me, I can probably put you in contact with local players.

As an aside, the best tactical players are from Europe. Some Americans know the game, but seemingly all the Europeans I've met and played not only have the map memorized, but they anticipate moves better than most.

In any event, you can't beat a ftf event.
Emissary

Post 02 Sep 2012, 12:36 pm

Some day I would like to check one of these tourneys out. I can't believe folks travel the world to do so. Amazing.
Ambassador

Post 03 Sep 2012, 12:47 pm

dag hammarsjkold wrote:Some day I would like to check one of these tourneys out. I can't believe folks travel the world to do so. Amazing.

What's more amazing is how far-flung the play of Dip is. I know they had a pbem tournament with a team from China in it.

There is nothing that compares to a Diplomacy tournament for excitement, frustration, and camaraderie. Well, there's no board game tournament that compares to it. I guess there are other life events that might be its equal.
Emissary

Post 28 Oct 2012, 3:54 am

You know I've reread this posting several times in disbelief. As embarassing as it is to admit, there really is a Diplomacy World magazine? You've got to be joking on that one?
Dignitary

Post 28 Oct 2012, 8:41 am

Heck, it's been around a long time, a survivor of the now virtually-obsolete printed 'zines that filled mailboxes back in the days of Play-by-mail-Diplomacy. Here is a link to see the old and new issues: http://www.diplomacyworld.net/
Emissary

Post 28 Oct 2012, 11:28 am

I think I may be falling back in love with dipomacy all over again. Thank you georgeatkins for sharing this. I had no idea it was THIS big of a phenom.
Ambassador

Post 28 Oct 2012, 1:37 pm

There's even room for Redscapers to write articles.

There are huge clubs in the DC area and in Chicago. The hobby is pretty good-sized, but there is always room for more.
Dignitary

Post 28 Oct 2012, 5:35 pm

and feel free to just call me George.
Emissary

Post 30 Oct 2012, 7:20 pm

Thanks again George!