Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 18 Apr 2017, 11:13 am

Okay, I can talk about it now. I recently played a game on another site. (I know, I know. Blasphemy!)

Here was the fun part: players were not identified and all communication was within the site's framework, so there was no way to ID the other players.

Having no one know my identity was pretty liberating, I must say.

Another interesting feature: the scoring system encourages eliminating players, so we ended on a 3-way (EFT) with no surviving powers.
Dignitary

Post 20 Apr 2017, 6:53 pm

Neat. I like anonymous players, too. But not a Gunboat setup. I hate that. There has to be real negotiations. But I think it would have to be set up on a Judge or one of those web-based sites (e.g. vDiplomacy) that don't require emails. Don't see how it could be done here.
Ambassador

Post 21 Apr 2017, 4:58 am

georgeatkins wrote:Neat. I like anonymous players, too. But not a Gunboat setup. I hate that. There has to be real negotiations. But I think it would have to be set up on a Judge or one of those web-based sites (e.g. vDiplomacy) that don't require emails. Don't see how it could be done here.

Yeah, I don't think it could happen here without some interface overhaul.

The site I played on pulled it off--but, it required going through the site to communicate. However, as I was traveling for 2 weeks during the game and still pulled it off, even with 2-day deadlines, shows it can be done.
Emissary

Post 25 Apr 2017, 3:26 pm

We could do it, we'd just have to agree on some groundrules first. Basically get everybody who wants to play to create an anonymous email address and agree to avoid using their real name or telling anybody who they are. I'd be willing to trust people to stick to the rules. After all, why would you sign up to that if you didn't want to play that way ?
Ambassador

Post 25 Apr 2017, 3:35 pm

Sassenach wrote:We could do it, we'd just have to agree on some groundrules first. Basically get everybody who wants to play to create an anonymous email address and agree to avoid using their real name or telling anybody who they are. I'd be willing to trust people to stick to the rules. After all, why would you sign up to that if you didn't want to play that way ?

Yes, that would work.

This particular site has a rating system which might lend itself to cheating.
Dignitary

Post 25 Apr 2017, 3:44 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:
Sassenach wrote:We could do it, we'd just have to agree on some groundrules first. Basically get everybody who wants to play to create an anonymous email address and agree to avoid using their real name or telling anybody who they are. I'd be willing to trust people to stick to the rules. After all, why would you sign up to that if you didn't want to play that way ?

Yes, that would work.

This particular site has a rating system which might lend itself to cheating.

Not sure I follow what you mean, Doc! How would the rating system affect an anonymous Dip game?
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 25 Apr 2017, 5:10 pm

If you had a human GM, they could set up a chat room (GroupMe* would work well - you can't see email addresses, just whatever username you choose).

Two problems:
1. Finding a willing GM.
2. How anonymous would the group be if those most interested are posting here? :cool:

*Edit: Chat rooms are new to me so I don't know if it's standard but this one allows for both public and private conversations.
Ambassador

Post 25 Apr 2017, 5:16 pm

SLOTerp wrote:2. How anonymous would the group be if those most interested are posting here? :cool:

Erm, Ima have to concede that one. :dead:

It does work well on the other site.