Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 18 Apr 2016, 2:17 pm

The way God intended them to be played: face-to-face.

Next year in England! WDC 2017 Oxford will be held from 7th to 9th July 2017.

This year in Chicago: June 24-26. https://www.facebook.com/events/804873186276440/

My plan is to be at both. I've booked a room and a flight to Chicago.

Next year will be a little tricky, but I'm saving my nickels and dimes. Dan Lester is too nice of a guy not to show up when he's organizing it. Of course, I'll have to deal with Toby Harris, but one must compromise in life.
Ambassador

Post 27 Jun 2016, 12:50 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:The way God intended them to be played: face-to-face.

Next year in England! WDC 2017 Oxford will be held from 7th to 9th July 2017.

This year in Chicago: June 24-26. https://www.facebook.com/events/804873186276440/

My plan is to be at both. I've booked a room and a flight to Chicago.

Next year will be a little tricky, but I'm saving my nickels and dimes. Dan Lester is too nice of a guy not to show up when he's organizing it. Of course, I'll have to deal with Toby Harris, but one must compromise in life.

I say this every year, but y'all missed a great time!

I finished 16th out of 93, I think.

All of my games were rather early draws--unusual for me. I finished on 6 (third), 7 (second), 8 (board top tie), 9 (top), and 10 (top). The problem was that my play did not do well under the scoring system: sum of squares.

Next year: Oxford!
Dignitary

Post 27 Jun 2016, 2:55 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:All of my games were rather early draws--unusual for me. I finished on 6 (third), 7 (second), 8 (board top tie), 9 (top), and 10 (top). The problem was that my play did not do well under the scoring system: sum of squares.

Woah, That's outstanding; no eliminations, never lower than third, and then only once. I'm impressed, especially considering that the quality of the competition must be pretty high.
Ambassador

Post 27 Jun 2016, 3:24 pm

geojanes wrote:
Doctor Fate wrote:All of my games were rather early draws--unusual for me. I finished on 6 (third), 7 (second), 8 (board top tie), 9 (top), and 10 (top). The problem was that my play did not do well under the scoring system: sum of squares.

Woah, That's outstanding; no eliminations, never lower than third, and then only once. I'm impressed, especially considering that the quality of the competition must be pretty high.

Thank you. You do have to get used to the pace, which is pushed by the central clock and drop-dead turns.

Most of the players were very good to outstanding. There were some exceptions. But, I had some very difficult draws and managed. Sometimes, the worse your opponent is, the more difficult the challenge. It can be rough handling super nervous players, psychotic players, and those who are consistently inconsistent.

My favorite part: I didn't write one misorder all weekend. That's a rarity.

My least favorite (other than not getting over the stalemate line): I didn't adapt my game well enough to the scoring system.
Dignitary

Post 28 Jun 2016, 8:52 am

Doctor Fate wrote:Sometimes, the worse your opponent is, the more difficult the challenge.

The only Dipcon I went to was Detroit 1983, I was just a kid, and my first board was with all these older guys, who were clearly MUCH more experienced than I was. I was Germany and they essentially ignored me, or used me to get at each other. I topped that board with 12.
Ambassador

Post 28 Jun 2016, 9:04 am

geojanes wrote:
Doctor Fate wrote:Sometimes, the worse your opponent is, the more difficult the challenge.

The only Dipcon I went to was Detroit 1983, I was just a kid, and my first board was with all these older guys, who were clearly MUCH more experienced than I was. I was Germany and they essentially ignored me, or used me to get at each other. I topped that board with 12.

Nice!

There was a 16 year-old who seemed to have enjoyed some good results. There was a wide range of ages, putting the lie to the notion that ours is a dying hobby.

Full results are here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3Rq5U ... N6bms/view
Ambassador

Post 18 Apr 2017, 11:15 am

There's still time!!!

https://wdc2017.com/

Who doesn't want to go to Oxford?