Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 20 Oct 2015, 6:28 pm

Yes. It's labeled England v. France with Basic rules. You can ignore the other two (yeah, I don't know what happened).
Administrator

Post 26 Oct 2015, 8:58 pm

georgeatkins wrote:
SLOTerp wrote:George, I set up another game with 3x3. Unfortunately, I set that one to simplified rules. I created a 2nd with basic rules, although that one is 4x4. Pick one or pick 'em both (or pick none if you don't want to play).

Same password: Diplomacy

4x4 supports boarding, right?

I am having trouble logging into the game you set up George.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 27 Oct 2015, 5:47 pm

I thought he set that up to play solo. I don't think he can play both sides, however, unless he creates a 2nd account.
Dignitary

Post 29 Oct 2015, 6:05 pm

bbauska wrote:
georgeatkins wrote:
SLOTerp wrote:George, I set up another game with 3x3. Unfortunately, I set that one to simplified rules. I created a 2nd with basic rules, although that one is 4x4. Pick one or pick 'em both (or pick none if you don't want to play).

Same password: Diplomacy

4x4 supports boarding, right?

I am having trouble logging into the game you set up George.

Well, SloTerp is correct. I did set it up for solo and created two accounts. I'm trying to get familiar with the timing of the moves, especially as it relates to the firing. When I wind up taking two "turns" in a row, I get confused. I think I'd prefer to play where I can control when I fire, where I fire and how I fire. I presume that can be done on this site.

However, while I'm getting my sea-legs back (it's been more than 10 years since I've played this), I'll be happy to trade shots with you, Brad. Would you like to set up a scenario for the two of us?
george
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 29 Oct 2015, 6:40 pm

georgeatkins wrote: I think I'd prefer to play where I can control when I fire, where I fire and how I fire. I presume that can be done on this site.

Alas, no, you do not have the level of control for firing that you would in a face-to-face game. Target selection is automated though I am unsure as to what algorithm is used to determine the target other than distance. There is some control on whether to fire or not via the min HDT setting. For example, I never loose my initial broadside until I'm at least on HDT 2.
Administrator

Post 29 Oct 2015, 7:36 pm

Need your user name, George.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 30 Oct 2015, 5:37 am

bbauska wrote:Need your user name, George.

He goes by georgekatkins at youplay.it
Dignitary

Post 31 Oct 2015, 2:22 pm

Okay, I'm in.
Dignitary

Post 01 Nov 2015, 11:33 am

georgeatkins wrote:
SLOTerp wrote:I haven't run across those novels nor have I read the Hornblower ones, also recommended to me. I was planning on getting to the latter sometime in the future. Have you read them? If so, which do you think are better and why? I like good storytelling more than accurate historical detail.

Watch those rakes - they can be devastating.

To get close you sometimes have to get some bruises! But I'm not sure how firing works.

I've read all 3 of them; but there are other series, as well. The Hornblower series more or less set up the genre, though Hornblower was also based, in concept, on earlier story series of the self-rising young hero (e.g. Horatio Alger). I'm sure that David Weber was inspired by Hornblower when he wrote his Honor Harrington books.

I've read Hornblower. It was ok. It was the second of the Age of Sails series I read (first being Boitho) so it had some things I didn't like about it. The biggest being that you do not see returning characters except for Mr. Bush. And I hated what was done to him. Also George, Honor Harrington was influences by Hornblower. The author has said so in numerous interviews. It is also why she is named as she is. It is an homage to HH.

I read Patrick O'Brien but I only read about 6 or 7 of the books as I found I hated Jack Aubrey. I am not a big fan of anti-heroes which is why I never really got into Breaking Bad or Dexter.

I have read 4 or 5 of the Alan Lewrie novels by Dewey Lambdin. Good books but I have the same problem as Jack Aubrey. Lewrie is a bit of a dick as a character and I don't really like anti-heroes.

Now my favorite series is Richard Bolitho series written by Alexander Kent. They are good books because they are not nautical term heavy like the O'Brien books. Another thing I like about them is that some of the characters return in the later novels, i.e.a Captain from when Bolitho is a Midshipman or Junior Lieutenant shows up in a later novel as a Flag Officer, or a character who is a Midshipman when Bolitho is a Lieutenant or Junior Captain will appear later as an officer when Bolitho is a Flag Officer.

There are a couple of other good series out there that are newer such as the HMS Themis novels written by S. Thomas Russell. This series follows a Master Commander who keeps getting passed over for captain and permanent command because his Naval Captain father is dead and his mother is a French woman who moved to the US and remarried after her husband died at sea.

Another one is a series by William Hammond that focuses on an American naval officer. The first book is set during the American Revolution. The next books are set in the Barbary War and I think the Quasi War. Not sure I really liked them. Very little sailing terminology and the action is kind of lame.

And finally there is the Tom Kydd series by Julian Stockwin. I originally liked this series because the main character, Thomas Kydd starts out as a pressed man. It isn't until the 5th book that he gets promoted to Officer. So it gave the genre a different point of view. Down side is that the writing style is sometimes dull. I think I last book I read was the 10th and I didn't finish it because the main character was stuck in port in South Africa. However, the first few books are worth the read.
Dignitary

Post 02 Nov 2015, 8:31 pm

Russel,
Have you read any of Dudley Pope's books? I think his feel for things nautical is quite good and the terminology doesn't seem thrust upon you; most likely because of his naval and sailing experience. The stories, themselves, are easy and fun to read, though pretty much in the same vein.
Dignitary

Post 04 Nov 2015, 5:47 pm

George,

I haven't read Pope. I heard of the Ramage books but haven't been able to find them. However, to be honest, I haven't really looked all that hard.
Dignitary

Post 05 Nov 2015, 5:11 pm

Archduke Russell John wrote:George,

I haven't read Pope. I heard of the Ramage books but haven't been able to find them. However, to be honest, I haven't really looked all that hard.

Well, they ARE a bit tough to find, I think. There really are lots of "Age of Sail" series out there, of course, just like book series on ancient Roman mysteries. Might find them in a local or county library, however.
George
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 12 Nov 2015, 3:43 pm

I put some feelers out at youplay.it regards a possible team challenge. My proposal: We form a team of 3 or 4 and play against another team in a multi-player battle. The goal is to win the battle as a team rather than as individuals. Team strategy could be discussed here (member only forums - no problem).

If I get any interest at the site, look for a recruiting notice for ship captains!

By the way, I know there are at least five of us at Redscape, so not everyone would have to participate.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 16 Nov 2015, 7:19 am

We've got some interest on the team contest. The fellow who replied is probably the single best player on the entire site. Check out his win%: http://www.youplay.it/play/User.Asp?UserID=derekticus. I've gotten thrashed by him a few time myself.

I doubt he'll have any problems getting an 'A' team together. We're going to get slaughtered!

Anyway, who's up for a good beat down? Think of it as a learning experience.
Administrator

Post 16 Nov 2015, 7:36 am

In