Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Administrator

Post 05 Mar 2011, 1:50 am

There aren't many boardgames I'm playing at the moment, but I'm looking forward to the release of this game:

Eaten by Zombies!
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/ ... by-zombies

Anyone anticipating the release of something else?
Administrator

Post 31 Mar 2011, 10:59 pm

Not quite on topic but close and not(I don't think) worthy of a new topic.
I played a game with some people the other day that is fairly new and was a LOT of fun.
Not the type of games we here really like but rather one you can play with groups of "non gamers"

Bubble Talk
Is a game very similar to apples to Apples (another fun family game but not for "gamers" it's light fare)
if looking for this type of general family/party type game, this is a good one
In apples to apples you have a word and players try to match the words in their hands to yours
In Bubble Talk you start with a goofy picture, all sorts and types of funny pictures
The players all submit the phrase that best fits from their hand (like cartoon "bubbles" over the picture what those in the picture might be saying ...bubble talk)

Very simple, almost mindless but any age group can play and all will have a good time
in fact, we played it at my wife's church "Family game night" (a nice way to socialize) and it was a big hit even for some of the holy roller types.(though there were not many of them)

Oh, funny thing
This church family night ended with a trivia game, the last question, I had to name I think 7 or 8 countries that start with the letter E, we were all ready to leave and they thought this was impossible. Ethiopia, Egypt, Ecuador, El Salvador...no big deal
Then came Eritrea, Estonia, Equatorial Guinea....
One more they say, I answered, East Timor better not be on there because the name is Timor Leste, they couldn't believe I not only got it but corrected the game as well.
they thought I was cheating, I am now the churches trivia king!
Dignitary

Post 01 Apr 2011, 5:40 am

I play with a group in Brooklyn and those guys are nuts. Between them they have every game worth playing that comes out. I never have to stay up on things or keep an eye out for new games because I know that someone else is taking care of that for me. I just have to make the trip out there and there will be a fantastic new game on the table. The games that are coming out now are just so good I find that I don't need to be discriminating.
Administrator

Post 01 Apr 2011, 9:57 am

I live near our Redscape member "McBeth" I tell you, the guy has every game you could possibly think of, his shelves and shelves of games really does put a GOOD game store to shame!
Administrator

Post 02 Apr 2011, 3:32 pm

What were some of the games you guys were playing?
Administrator

Post 02 Apr 2011, 8:21 pm

I went over twice, once with Fred (Olowin)
We played Tirgis and Euphates (something like that)

the next time we played some game I can not recall (it was two years ago)
Administrator

Post 02 Apr 2011, 8:58 pm

Tigris & Euphrates is a great game; one of a few board games I own that saw a lot of play time. Other multi-player favorites were (in order of popularity): El Grande, The Last Night on Earth, Werewolf (Mafia), Long Shot, and Railroad Tycoon.

For two player games (in personal-preference order): Chess, Twilight Struggle, Battles of Westeros, C&C Ancients, and Battlelore.

Three games that didn't gain much traction with opponents: Tide of Iron, Chaos in the Old World and Washington's War.

These last three we found difficult to ascertain what strategy to employ (other than the straight-forward bloodbath goals of the Blood God in CitOW) and/or what to anticipate for. They weren't intuitive, I suppose.
Administrator

Post 03 Apr 2011, 2:45 pm

Tigris was a good game (Fred won I recall)
The other game I played was so-so, I recall it was a German game based on the German political parties (I think it was Die Macher) highly rated, I didn't much care for it though.
Administrator

Post 03 Apr 2011, 5:19 pm

Archduke and I are playing Victory Games The Civil War. A Great strategic level game about the US Civil War. Plus we can play via E-mail.
Ambassador

Post 05 Apr 2011, 12:54 am

Last year I joined a gaming group in the next city, and while they have a tradition of playing minature wargames, which I find a bit tedious and involved way too much painting, they also play a range of others. C&C Ancients (and now Napoleonics) seems to be a favourite - I have played C&C:A a couple of times and it's quite enjoyable.

They are also into zombies a bit (they've developed their own Zombie Rally game which is a great laugh), so I'll look out for Eaten by Zombies!
Ambassador

Post 08 Apr 2011, 11:12 am

Further - this week someone brought 7 Wonders along: http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/68448/7-wonders

One of the best new games I've played in ages, it appears very complex, but you can get a game done in just about half an hour.