Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 02 Jan 2013, 12:55 pm

As the NHL and players association scramble to come to terms, end the lockout, and play a shortened season, it strikes me as the right time to test a return of the Redscape Hockey League.

Redscape sported a fantasy hockey league in 2002 and 2003, I believe the 2004 lockout/missing season killed whatever momentum was there to continue.

I pitched the idea to the Redscape Keeper League (football) on Yahoo and there are three of us interested so far. Any other takers? I would volunteer to be the commissioner, and we would run the league either through either Yahoo or ESPN.

My initial thought is to have 10-14 teams if we can get that many (I'd go with 8 as a minimum), head-to-head matchups based on each stat category (like Fantasy Baseball), though that can be discussed.

Clearly, the end of the lockout isn't a done deal, but I'm kicking off the discussion now because we won't have much time before the season starts otherwise.

Please indicate your interest here, or on the post I'm about to make on the Redscape Facebook Group, or by sending an email to kalvin(dot)miller(at)gmail(dot)com. Looking forward to seeing you on the (virtual) ice.

Kal
Ambassador

Post 08 Jan 2013, 3:45 pm

The lockout is dead and the Redscape Hockey League is alive!

I'll be hosting the league on ESPN using their default positions (9 Forwards, 5 Defense, 1 Utility, 2 Goalies, 5 Bench) and scoring categories. The scoring will be head-to-head each category (like Fantasy Baseball). I'd like to get into the 8-14 team range, right now we tentatively have 6 teams already. Depending on the final league size and on the final NHL schedule, I will endeavor to set it up to play every other team once - OR - if we have the right number of matchups, I'll split the league into divisions where we'd play the in-division teams twice and the other division once before the playoffs. I've currently set up an Autopick draft, but I would be happy switch it to live-Snake if that's the desire of the league. Since this is a test-run to see if we can sustain a Fantasy Hockey League again, there will be no entry fee and no prizes. But, bragging rights are a pretty big draw with our crowd anyway.

If we have enough steam to continue into next season, perhaps we'll look at a small fee for establishing a travelling trophy like the RBL and RFL have.

League Office Link

Email me or post your email address here for an invite. See you on the ice.

Kal