Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Statesman

Post 13 Jan 2011, 10:04 pm

Hey guys. Post any ideas that you think might improve the league. I am going to keep the league open all year and allow trades up until Keepers are finalized. I think I may have to upgrade our Yahoo service to do so but no problem.

Also I will wait to look for a replacement manager for the Stonetown Stars until we find out more about the possiblity of a lock-out next year. It is a zoomer of a team and almost made the playoffs with Uhtars most xcelent drafting. I have guys to take it over but they are not Redscape guys so therefore would wonder why my team is called Peces Yak Dung. I'd rather not explain.....

Cheers

Uhtar the terible
Dignitary

Post 14 Jan 2011, 7:50 am

Definitely post the team available in the RS gaming forum. I'd be surprised if you didn't get a taker.

Terp's baseball league has a very interesting draft/Free Agent rules. In sum, each team is given the $$ to draft with (in his league you've also got to pay for your keepers and money for the keepers comes out of the money you're given to start the season with). Available players go to the highest bidder. If you have money left over, that goes into a pot for free agent signings, which is a flat amount plus the amount left over from the draft. Benefits include:

* Interesting live draft where the players can interact (online) which is a lot of fun.

* Free agent signings suddenly have a cost and if you run out of $$ you can't sign someone, so you have to think really hard about them.

* Keepers have a cost (so I don't get to keep AP as a second round pick for free forever just because I got him when he was a rookie).

* Oh, also free agent money is tradeable, as in I'll get you Payton Manning for David Akers plus $10 in free agent money. Adds a great element to the strategy.

You can look at the full rules in that league's constitution, but while I was skeptical at first, I am a HUGE fan now because of the added complexity to the strategy.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 14 Jan 2011, 8:54 am

Hey, that's the RFL! After advocating an auction for years with Norm I finally created another league.

I'm just no fan of our draft system here. I don't like creating a daily draft list, though this year won't be too bad since I would draft 4th. There is a pretty cool service that we could use to conduct an email draft where you take your turn when it comes up: http://www.myemaildraft.com/

If we don't go auction, perhaps you can look into this.
Ambassador

Post 15 Jan 2011, 7:23 am

I'd rather not have to manage $$ as well as a roster. It was hard enough drafting Donovan McNabb last season, so I don't want have to go all Dan Snyder and actually pay for him, too. I figure there has to be a better way of drafting, especially now that my ridiculous run on the shoulders & arm of Matt Cassell has me selecting late in each round.
Statesman

Post 15 Jan 2011, 9:47 am

I think we should leave this as a non auction draft with the other Redscape League taking care of that aspect. We are a TD heavy league with rushing, receiving and passing yardage only counting for half as much. I don't think it is my favorite scoring system and seem to really enjoy PPR but hey, it is still fantasy football and I think leave it as it is. TD heavy leagues have more of a random outcome but whatever. It is all for fun so who cares. I am not sure if the first place overall team has ever won this league. I know I sure haven't.

As for the draft, I would like to hear some more suggestions. I will look into the email draft. I think that would a nice compromise. It is always hard to get everyone around a computer for the same two or three hours. A few will always have to auto draft or get a drunk guy, like I did last year in RFL. 79 bucks for Ray Rice!!! Hey my buddy was drunk what was the excuse for the guy who bid 78 bucks??
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 16 Jan 2011, 11:36 am

I think having one draft league and one auction league is a good thing. I understand your reluctance to use a live draft but if you go that way, I'm certainly game. If the email draft remains, please let's overhaul how it's done. Every year I resolve to quit this league because of the onerous email draft wherein I have to submit a new list of players every day. And since I'm usually near the [toot]top of the standings[/toot] that list can be quite long. Ok, this year is an aberration.

If you wish to run a test on that email draft website, sign me up and let's see if it works. It may be, as you suggest, the right compromise.
Statesman

Post 16 Jan 2011, 7:11 pm

Ok I am going to sign everyone up for a Test Draft and see how it goes.
Dignitary

Post 06 Aug 2011, 11:00 am

Uhtar the Terrible wrote:I am not sure if the first place overall team has ever won this league. I know I sure haven't.

I believe that I was 12-1 when I won in 2006 and somebody else had a dominant year sometime between 2007-2009.

I'm glad that Uhtar and SLOTerp agree with what I think: that since we already have an auction league this one should remain as a draft league. However, using the e-mail service would probably be a nice improvement.
Ambassador

Post 08 Aug 2011, 6:31 am

I checked the records, I think I was closest - I won in 2008 and was second place in the standings (10-3 vs Tars 12-1) and in 2009 I was the dominant team but lost in the finals (12-1 vs Bulldogs 8-5). Both 1 and 2 in 2007 were 8-5...I love that the history is preserved!