Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index

Game?

• Posted on
  • by georgeatkins
Dignitary

Post 21 Oct 2017, 6:22 pm

Is there going to be a game of Dune run here? If so, what is the status of the game? I'd be interested. I actually have the original A/H version, but have never played PBEM.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 21 Oct 2017, 7:15 pm

I hope there is a game here. I've asked the potential GM to post info here but I'm unsure of his timetable. He is recruiting so I'm sure there would be a space at the table.

I own the original A/H as well. I think the last time I played was about 30 years ago :smile: . They play it at WBC so maybe I'll give it a try there.
Dignitary

Post 21 Oct 2017, 8:24 pm

SLOTerp wrote:I hope there is a game here. I've asked the potential GM to post info here but I'm unsure of his timetable. He is recruiting so I'm sure there would be a space at the table.

I own the original A/H as well. I think the last time I played was about 30 years ago :smile: . They play it at WBC so maybe I'll give it a try there.

Well, I did play it once within the last 10 years, but it was otherwise about the same time difference as yours. Still, I'm curious about exactly how this would work in a PBEM context, given the distinctive powers of the different characters, the cards, etc. There's lots of moving parts, as I recal. Seems like it would be tough to streamline, but I hope I'm wrong.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 22 Oct 2017, 6:19 am

Turn based games are a bit more challenging to conduct PBEM. Christina successfully did it here with GoT. GM has to track a lot more things.
Administrator

Post 22 Oct 2017, 7:05 am

I have the game also. Would look forward to it!
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 02 Nov 2017, 2:36 pm

Haven't heard back from the GM. I'll chalk this up as a false alarm but I'll keep the forum around for a bit just in case.

I agree that this would be a fantastic game for PBEM, especially at Redscape with it's diplomatic bent. Lots to track though - I would imagine the work load would be similar to Christine's GoT games.
Dignitary

Post 02 Nov 2017, 6:19 pm

SLOTerp wrote:Turn based games are a bit more challenging to conduct PBEM. Christina successfully did it here with GoT. GM has to track a lot more things.

Well, there are several web links to PBEM Dune, though some appear to be dead links or abandoned; and like Avalon Hill's Republic of Rome, a fair bit of dispute over rules interpretation. Many of the sites are at least a decade old and don't appear to be updated.

One thing I do get is that Dune is a complex game to manage through email. Hardly surprising, given the cards, special player powers, battle wheels, etc. Certainly beyond my patience level to even consider hosting!

Still, it is a fun game to play FTF.