Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 17 Jan 2013, 2:49 pm

Otherwise, I agree with Ryan's sentiments.
Ambassador

Post 17 Jan 2013, 3:39 pm

Andrew is in MA.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 17 Jan 2013, 4:58 pm

Here's a possible clustering (note about Matt - his team is named after a MA town but he currently lives in NC).

Massachusetts
Matt - MA
Andrew - MA
Brad S - MA
Steve - MA

Wha.....?
Mike - VA
Ryan - MD
Barry - TX
Michael - IN

New York
George - NY
Todd - NY
John - NY
Brad Bu - CT

Pacific
Alexander - CA
Nick - CA
Freeman - CA
Brad Ba - WA
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 17 Jan 2013, 5:15 pm

West coast is obvious but you can tinker with the others a bit.

Another variation:

New England
Andrew - MA
Brad S - MA
Steve - MA
Brad Bu - CT

Atlantic
George - NY
Todd - NY
John - NY
Ryan - MD

South
Mike - VA
Matt - NC
Barry - TX
Michael - IN (ok, not quite south but whatever)

Pacific
Alexander - CA
Nick - CA
Freeman - CA
Brad Ba - WA
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 17 Jan 2013, 6:09 pm

Hmmm... Michael lives at a lower latitude than I do. Perhaps he is in the south...

As for division names, I'm pretty indifferent.
Administrator

Post 17 Jan 2013, 7:32 pm

Indy is in the AFC south...
Administrator

Post 17 Jan 2013, 7:35 pm

New England and Atlantic - American League
South Pacific - Bali Hi (No, Nationals sound better)
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 17 Jan 2013, 8:21 pm

In that last iteration Atlantic and South are stacked: All six playoff teams from last year are in those two divisions (3 each). And I'd have to play Matt twice every year. Then again, I've played Matt twice three of the last four years anyway...

I actually think I like that one the best but if anyone has other ideas, I'm listening. This is all assuming we use divisions, go with 4 of them, and allow geography to determine who goes where. Lots of assumptions here.
Dignitary

Post 17 Jan 2013, 10:13 pm

I'll just point out that, with regard to Ryan's points, I was in TX the last two years, so the divisions would have been different. I only just moved to NY this September.

It seems to me like the general sentiment is in favor of divisions. Are we ready to vote on just that, with details to come later?
Ambassador

Post 18 Jan 2013, 7:47 am

SLOTerp wrote:Here's a possible clustering (note about Matt - his team is named after a MA town but he currently lives in NC).

Massachusetts
Matt - MA
Andrew - MA
Brad S - MA
Steve - MA

Wha.....?
Mike - VA
Ryan - MD
Barry - TX
Michael - IN

New York
George - NY
Todd - NY
John - NY
Brad Bu - CT

Pacific
Alexander - CA
Nick - CA
Freeman - CA
Brad Ba - WA

Instead of Wha??? How about "Missouri Compromise Division?"

Actually, it reminds me of the old NFL West. Who remembers these four teams making a division? LA Rams, SF 49'ers, NO Saints, ATL Falcons?
Ambassador

Post 18 Jan 2013, 7:52 am

Sharur wrote:I'll just point out that, with regard to Ryan's points, I was in TX the last two years, so the divisions would have been different. I only just moved to NY this September.

It seems to me like the general sentiment is in favor of divisions. Are we ready to vote on just that, with details to come later?

Would 4 divisions be more favorable than 2 schedule-wise? Does it make any difference? If not, I'd probably prefer two as it would lessen the chance that a really pathetic team makes the playoffs.
Ambassador

Post 18 Jan 2013, 7:53 am

And, yes, I'm aware that could reduce my chances. :uhoh:
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 18 Jan 2013, 8:25 am

I don't think two really gets your anything. I believe it would produce identical outcomes on who gets into the playoffs, although it would have an effect on the bye (I assume the two division winners would receive a bye). The biggest drawback, IMO, is that there aren't enough weeks to be able to play every team in your own division twice, giving less credence to the idea that division winners should get a bye.

With four divisions, it is much likelier that the two division winners who earn byes will actually have the two best records. Not guaranteed but much more likely relative to two divisions. There are always enough games to play the other three division teams twice. Finally, it does lead to the possibility (and as pointed out by Ryan, it would've happened last year) that a team under a no- or two-division system that missed the playoffs would now be able to get in as a division winner, displacing a sixth seed. I know Steve prefers for this not to happen but as Todd pointed out, with the H-2-H format we inherently accept variability and luck in outcomes. Lesson learned: Don't be a sixth seed!
Ambassador

Post 18 Jan 2013, 8:59 am

4 Divisions sounds good to me!
Dignitary

Post 18 Jan 2013, 12:00 pm

As a sign of my incredible impatience, I am going to go ahead and cast my vote in favor of divisions in anticipation of us having such a vote.