Board index Forum Index
Administrator

Post 01 Feb 2013, 9:32 am

How about
Northeast
Atlantic
Midwest
West

Just like March Madness. After all, that is when our draft is.
Ambassador

Post 01 Feb 2013, 9:55 am

SLOTerp wrote:Other Diplomacy (or rather, WWI) themes:

Names of note
Wilhelm II
Ataturk
Nicholas II
George V
Pershing
Bismarck
Ferdinand

Aircraft
Albatros
Bristol
Caudron
Fokker
Junkers
Nieuport
Sopwith
Spad
Vickers

I kind of think the planes are cool.

I like the aircraft theme . . . a lot.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 01 Feb 2013, 10:34 am

bbauska wrote:How about
Northeast
Atlantic
Midwest
West

Just like March Madness. After all, that is when our draft is.

So you'd be dumping Ryan and I into the midwest. I'd rather be a fokker.
Administrator

Post 01 Feb 2013, 11:03 am

Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Marine?

(Please note that I omitted Coast Guardsmen, and it is too long and unwieldy)
Dignitary

Post 01 Feb 2013, 7:23 pm

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Sailor?
Dignitary

Post 01 Feb 2013, 9:07 pm

I'll stick to baseball themes

1. Minor Leagues
PCL, Texas, Carolina and Eastern ( Texas would have to serve for Midwest)

2. Exhibition Leagues plus whatever I felt like coming up with

Cactus, Grapefruit, Cape Cod, and Pioneer (Midwest minor league)

3. Funny Minor league team names

Iron Pig, Mud Hen, Fisher Cat, & Blue Wahoo.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 05 Feb 2013, 12:05 pm

ESPN back open for 2013 business. Freeman & Michael, you should have received an invite from ESPN to join the league.
Ambassador

Post 18 Mar 2013, 2:14 pm

Breaking news:

(AP)-In a surprising move, the Eclectics have announced they are severing ties with known troublemakers Kelly Johnson and Matt Joyce. Well known to Las Vegas blackjack dealers and other sordid characters, Johnson and Joyce are believed to be under investigation by the Commissioner of Redscape Baseball's office for unspecified infractions.

The E's GM, Jeremiah Fate, said the moves were unrelated to possible discipline issues and were based solely on performance.

"They were weighing us down. We owe it to the fans and the citizens of Cool to put the best team possible on the field. Frankly, the previous GM made significant investments in marginal players. We have moved to rectify that."

The players were unavailable for comment.
Dignitary

Post 19 Mar 2013, 7:21 pm

I think for former owner of the 10,000/E's liked the long term contracts so he didn't have to spend a lot of time on fantasy. But even so, signing Matt Joyce to a long-term contract? A fool and is money . . .
Ambassador

Post 08 Apr 2013, 8:34 am

All I can do is predict this: This is the last week I will have the best record in the league. The Sluggers had a really rough week and my guys overachieved.

I will say that I think pursuing K's and crossing your fingers on the qualitative stats is a dangerous strategy.
Dignitary

Post 08 Apr 2013, 11:33 pm

I think there were about 50 pitchers protected and the Es have a great staff. I have very little chance of beating them in the qualitative pitching stats. I am expecting my offense to be pretty decent but it certainly was awful the first week. My personality is not well-suited to building for the future but I guess I will have to do so to a certain extent. The fact that I couldn't get speed and I didn't get closers (I think there were only 12 available and I would need at least two good ones to be competitive)made me a little tentative on getting them. And in a lot of leagues you can get closers on the cheap later on, but in this league the back-up guys have been bought, which makes that strategy problematic. Tough to win when you're uncompetitive in two categories and don't have enough starting pitching, either. Getting a bunch of questionable starters is certainly not a preferred strategy, but not crazy when your top 5 or 6 pitchers are inferior to most team's top guys. If teams try to compete against the Es' pitching straight up, the Es will do quite well.
Dignitary

Post 10 Apr 2013, 4:51 pm

David was definitely building that pitching staff before he left. It'll be interesting to see how it pans out for Steve.

Also, for future reference, most in-season league discussion takes place on the league message board on ESPN. I'd recommend posting there. We usually only use Redscape for offseason stuff in order to avoid e-mail clutter, and for archiving (like the standings).