Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 18 Jan 2013, 1:24 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:4 Divisions sounds good to me!

I have been completely out of the loop, but is 21 weeks possible?

If so, 3 games vs. each in a division (9 total games) and then one against all non-division opponents is 21. To me, that would be very nice. We would have balance and a definite best team in the division.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 18 Jan 2013, 1:32 pm

Brad Sweet asked me to post him comments. He's having some difficulty logging in.
I'm for having 4 divisions. Play each team in the division twice (6 games). Play rest of teams once (12 games).

After this I have 3 options to suggest:
Expand all playoff weeks to 2 weeks each (Playoff start in week 19)
Play the team that matches prior year seeding in two of the 3 divisions with rotating which division each year the division doesn't play (Like NFL and previously suggested).
Expand schedule to 21 weeks and then same as option 2 but all divisions included every year.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 18 Jan 2013, 1:34 pm

Twenty one weeks is possible under two scenarios:

1) Use the final week of the MLB season.
2) Shorten the championship game to one week instead of two.
Ambassador

Post 18 Jan 2013, 1:38 pm

SLOTerp wrote:Twenty one weeks is possible under two scenarios:

1) Use the final week of the MLB season.
2) Shorten the championship game to one week instead of two.

I'm firmly against 1.

I could go for 2, but I'd also be fine with Brad's suggestion. 3 games against divisional opponents seems like a plus because any tiebreaker could be settled head-to-head (unless there was a tie, then you'd get into the mess you'd have if there were only two and the results were split).
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 18 Jan 2013, 1:52 pm

I'm for whatever makes scheduling most difficult for Todd.
Ambassador

Post 18 Jan 2013, 2:39 pm

SLOTerp wrote:I'm for whatever makes scheduling most difficult for Todd.

Rivalry!!!

And funny.
Dignitary

Post 18 Jan 2013, 9:52 pm

Don't worry about ties, Steve. We have ample tiebreaker procedures.

I think I'd prefer a one-week championship to 3 two-week playoff rounds. My recollection is that the championship game seldom changes its outcome much over the course of the second week, and adding that second week to the other playoff games would make the playoffs draggy without adding much on the positive side.

Either of these solutions would allow us to utilize the full ESPN playoff system, rather than faking the first two rounds, which would be nice.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 19 Jan 2013, 9:28 am

I'm pretty satisfied with the current playoff format.

Earl Weaver, R.I.P.
Ambassador

Post 19 Jan 2013, 11:26 am

SLOTerp wrote:I'm pretty satisfied with the current playoff format.

Earl Weaver, R.I.P.

The King of the three-run home run philosophy.

I remember playing Earl Weaver Baseball. :(
Ambassador

Post 19 Jan 2013, 11:27 am

Sharur wrote:Don't worry about ties, Steve. We have ample tiebreaker procedures.

I think I'd prefer a one-week championship to 3 two-week playoff rounds. My recollection is that the championship game seldom changes its outcome much over the course of the second week, and adding that second week to the other playoff games would make the playoffs draggy without adding much on the positive side.

Either of these solutions would allow us to utilize the full ESPN playoff system, rather than faking the first two rounds, which would be nice.

Because I don't have years of memorizing all these details, are you suggesting a one-week, last week of the regular season finale?
Administrator

Post 19 Jan 2013, 12:03 pm

Yes to 21 week, and yes to 1 week Championship.

Having trouble with Yahoo email...
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 19 Jan 2013, 12:25 pm

Those aren't up for vote right now. The amendment floated yesterday was for four 4-team divisions. The status quo is no divisions.
Dignitary

Post 19 Jan 2013, 1:09 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:Because I don't have years of memorizing all these details, are you suggesting a one-week, last week of the regular season finale?

No.

The regular season this year has 25 weeks. We voted already not to use week 25. Our playoffs are currently 4 weeks long (3 rounds, 2-week championship), so that means a 20 week regular season.

For a 4-division format with 16 teams, 18 or 21 week regular seasons would produce a better schedule. Accordingly, there were a couple suggestions on how to get regular seasons of those lengths without using week 25 during the playoffs.

One suggestion was make the championship just one week, so the playoffs are only three weeks. Then we get 21 weeks for the regular season and 3 for the playoffs.

Another was to make every playoff round two weeks, so the playoffs are six weeks. Then we get 18 weeks for the regular season and 6 for the playoffs.

Having a 'nice' schedule is arguably relatively unimportant, so maybe we shouldn't be messing with the playoffs to get one. But if we think that the second championship week isn't adding much (that's been my feeling, at least in recent years), then the 21 week regular season & 3 week playoffs would work very nicely. That's my preference at this point, I think.
Dignitary

Post 19 Jan 2013, 1:46 pm

I still fondly remember picking up Jose Reyes when he was a rookie and he stole like three bases on the last Sunday of the regular season to deny George a championship...So maybe things are different now, but the second week did not use to be superfluous
Dignitary

Post 19 Jan 2013, 2:11 pm

By the way, I played in an Earl Weaver League in the Mid 1980s. Our Commish edited a computer gaming magazine, knew the developer of the game (the guy even came down once), and we sort of play-tested it (not that we contributed anything but our Commish would get early versions of the game). Unfortunately, they did not support the game for very long...