Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 10 Nov 2016, 12:06 pm

First of all, thank you Brad for GMing this game.

I used to love writing EOGs but in the last few years, I have a horrible time remembering what happened and I lose interest in writing it. And frankly, that sucks. Anyway, I'll try.

The German and I exchanged one, maybe two emails. That was it. He had his battles and I had mine and we just didn't communicate. Pretty dumb in retrospect.

It has been mentioned that the Austrian may have been new to the game and I am not proud to say that I took advantage of that possibility. The fact that Russia and Austria seemed constantly at odds made that path much simpler. You both deserved much more respect from me than I gave. Sorry.

England and I were almost on the same path as I took with Germany. It was damned near halfway thru the game before we started writing frequently. I considered attacking England because his balance of fleets to armies made his expansion outlook slow, if not bleak. However, that number of fleets made him very well defended and if we had not agreed to join forces, a stalemate was inevitable. Besides, Italy made a superb coordinator of treaties.

Yeah, I do so love being in a game with George. Communication is what makes this game so special and when you come across someone with a flair for humorous writing, it rises to a level of complete enjoyment. George, I'm,so glad you arranged this measured ending.

Finally to France. Sendric, I owe you, man. If I'm ever lucky enough to get into another game with you, I hereby extend a solemn promise to be a rock-solid ally. I had to choose between you and George and by the time that crossroads was met, I had already committed to Italy. Next time, bro.

In closing, I wish more people played this game. I long for the old days of 6-10 games going on at the same time, the Patriot Games and the Tournament of Champions. I kept a folder in my Outlook Express. I may have missed a few by mistakenly deleting too quickly, but I had collected 836 emails in this game over a 6 month period. That's bloody fantastic. Diplomacy on Redscape is one of the true joys of this old man's life and I look forward to the next game.

A sincere thanks to one and all.
Dignitary

Post 10 Nov 2016, 3:17 pm

long for the old days of 6-10 games going on at the same time, the Patriot Games and the Tournament of Champions.

Guy,

We used to have more than 20 games going on at the same time, even without a tournament in place. Yes, that was a pretty exciting time on Redscape.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 10 Nov 2016, 5:52 pm

Check this out...

https://web.archive.org/web/20030515200506/http://www.redscape.net/forum/

May, 2003: Over 50 active games PLUS 30 in Patriot Games.

I remember games would fill in less than 24 hours after being posted. Ah... the good old days!
Dignitary

Post 10 Nov 2016, 8:02 pm

You got that right, SLOTerp. I thought my number was a big too conservative. If only we could find a new crowd to bring into the fold. I suppose most of gone over to the Web-based Dip sites, where they can play turn-a-day or even one-day games. Hard to compete with those sites if people look at Diplomacy as if it were just another form of RISK.

How can we fight that? Maybe we shouldn't. After all, Play-By-Mail diplomacy had its day in the sun, until email became a reality. I don't think too many of us want to go back to playing a game that takes two years in real life to play.
Adjutant

Post 11 Nov 2016, 1:29 am

I still think this site has a great lay-out for playing diplomacy. Web Diplomacy has 500 active games so there are plenty of people playing diplomacy....just not here.
Dignitary

Post 11 Nov 2016, 9:54 am

freeman3 wrote:I still think this site has a great lay-out for playing diplomacy. Web Diplomacy has 500 active games so there are plenty of people playing diplomacy....just not here.

500 games, really? Wow. I hadn't looked, lately. That's even more than currently on VDiplomacy (built on the same software). I wonder why, given that VDip has more variants available to play. I tried to search by turn length to see how they sorted out, but the search mechanism appears to ignore selection criteria. At least, I couldn't get it to work. Searching on VDip seems to be working better, but it doesn't report a total, as far as I can see.

It would be nice to see how many games are based on short deadlines (2 days or less) versus longer ones. When I used to play on VDip, the shorter games were far more common and many were Gunboat style. I don't suppose that has changed much. But it does suggest that those players would probably not like the PBEM style used here.
Ambassador

Post 14 Nov 2016, 2:30 am

Guy, in your EOG, you don't say much about your relationship with Russia. I thought your decision to stab him was one of the turning points of the game. Do you have any insight to share about that?

Bob
Ambassador

Post 14 Nov 2016, 2:23 pm

That's the bloody problem. I can't remember why. I think George had a lot to do with it. Ask him LOLOLOL