Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Emissary

Post 07 Sep 2016, 10:29 am

First off, many thanks to Tom. How you keep up with all the ins and outs of this variant is beyond me but I certainly appreciate your effort.

Next, I was delighted to lead Italy but quickly found myself jumped early on by not one, not two but three neighbors (possibly four....the EOGs will perhaps bear that out?). That was more than a wet blanket on an otherwise wonderful world picnic.

As the early years rolled along it became clear that I would never recover. My goal was to simply stay alive. So I cued the BeeGees hit tune from every church tower in Italy and played it non stop until we were forced into exile.

I attempted to warn several nations about Sweden to no avail. I suspected he would come on strong if given the chance to roam freely and he did. Hats off to the Swede for taking 1 lonely unit and successfully cloning it a thousand times over, no easy feat.

I was never able to get any traction with Serbia or Egypt. Had that gone differently, things may have panned out better for us Estruscans, but I refuse to "should" all over myself. Early on I decided to head south and take advantage of the lights being off along North Africa. It seemed like a perfect way to make friends and influence enemies initially. However, I think I over advertised that fact too soon and paid the price. Before long it appeared that France and Egypt were paired and Germany and Serbia were paired.

I owe my survival to Turkey. He allowed me to rent an apartment in Istanbul while my fleets fought on. Many thanks to the Turk for his kindness. Had it not been for him I would have been out long ago and Theatre of the Absurd would have boarded its doors. Normally I would say, "Never trust a Turk," but in this case, he was the only person I could trust. He deserved better but then again, the Chinese have never enjoyed Turkish cuisine.

Later, the Turk kindness was repeated by the Swede who may have had something to do with holding back China's fascination with all things nuclear. So I may owe some thanks on that stay of execution as well?

In the end, Italy survived where multiple other countries went the way of the dodo bird. For a very brief minute, I thought the "never give up" attitude might incline some to recognize that effort in the polls. Many thanks to those who did in fact vote for "little Italy." But alas, it was not meant to be.

In the end I am happy the war is over. I am happy I survived and I would like to think that my fleet in the Tyr Sea landed safely in Rome this last season in order to rebuild her.

Arrivaderla!
Adjutant

Post 14 Sep 2016, 2:07 pm

dag hammarsjkold wrote:I was never able to get any traction with Serbia or Egypt. Had that gone differently, things may have panned out better for us Estruscans, but I refuse to "should" all over myself. Early on I decided to head south and take advantage of the lights being off along North Africa. It seemed like a perfect way to make friends and influence enemies initially. However, I think I over advertised that fact too soon and paid the price. Before long it appeared that France and Egypt were paired and Germany and Serbia were paired.

I'm amused by your phrasing. You never were able to gain traction with Egypt (me) because you consistently said one thing but did another.

Take North Africa for example. We had an agreement to split it early in the game, you would support me and I would then support you. I moved into BEN and you moved into SIR twice (in Spring 02 and Spring 03). But then you reneged on the agreement. First you attacked CRE in Fall 02 (after assuring me you would not), and then you attempted to take CYR in Fall 03. The latter move looked completely hostile, as if it succeeded, you could have taken my SC in BEN with nothing to stop you.

Even so, I still tried to work with you, but since you kept on attacking Turkey (who appeared to be a loyal ally to me until the end), I was forced to work with France in the Middle-east. Which was something you couldn't look past.

From my perspective, the reason why we never gained any traction was because of the actions you took. I'm curious what you think happened.
Adjutant

Post 14 Sep 2016, 2:31 pm

I'm amused by your phrasing. You never were able to gain traction with Egypt (me) because you consistently said one thing but did another.

Likewise with me (Serbia). It was too baffling. That and you wouldn't budge on letting me taking Croatia.