Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 14 Sep 2014, 11:39 pm

Is everyone happy with the tiebreaker rule? I know I never liked it and it did not help that I just lost in the play- offs due to the tiebreaker. I would propose that before the series starts the higher seed get to choose the category which will decide the series if it is tied. That will give some advantage but obviously not as great as they have now. 2 out of the 4 play-off series were decided by the tiebreaker this time and while that probably is higher than normal, I think it is clear that the tiebreaker decides a significant number of series.
Dignitary

Post 15 Sep 2014, 1:47 pm

Well, I won one tiebreaker and lost the other.

The tiebreaker makes the results of the regular season more meaningful: Want the tiebreaker? Have a better regular season. Considering the high stakes nature of the playoffs, I don't mind rewarding the regular season this way.
Adjutant

Post 15 Sep 2014, 3:34 pm

Well, that's the counter--argument. I get it--I don't really agree with it but I get it. With that underlying logic though you could just do away with the play-offs altogether, just have the team with the best record declared champion...The top two teams already get a huge advantage in getting a bye...I played in the division with the two finalists why should I lose the tiebreaker to a team who won a lot easier division (I also beat that team in our only meeting) I never even thought about that until right now , I just didn't like the rule, but the tiebreaker is not going to be necessarily deserved, either. Anyway, except for perhaps Steve and I everyone else seems to like it, so I'll let it alone.
Dignitary

Post 15 Sep 2014, 7:43 pm

+1 to what George said. As much of a crapshoot as a single week can be, I am totally in favor of giving the better teams a built-in advantage. It's true that divisions can compromise the notion of the 'better' team getting that advantage- but this is an issue with divisions, not with the tiebreaker, as I said about 40 times last year after Steve lost on the tiebreaker.
Dignitary

Post 29 Sep 2014, 5:59 am

geojanes wrote:Well, I won one tiebreaker and lost the other.

The tiebreaker makes the results of the regular season more meaningful: Want the tiebreaker? Have a better regular season. Considering the high stakes nature of the playoffs, I don't mind rewarding the regular season this way.

Dang, all three of my playoff games went to 5-5. I won the first tie-breaker and lost the next two. Considering how common the tiebreaker seems to be, I'd consider ways to lessen their impact, but I don't know of a better way than regular season stats.