Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Ambassador

Post 06 Aug 2015, 1:52 pm

freeman3 wrote:I like having divisions betters--maybe it's just aesthetics. Although, I do like the the final set of games within divisions. I don't see significant value to keeping divisions the same though year after year. I actually think it would be interesting to be competing against different managers every year. And I think there are legitimate complaints about being stuck in a division with Nick (or Josh) or Matt. I think we should restructure the divisions every year based on the prior year's results. #1, #2, #3, #4 in wins the prior year would head up divisions. #1, #5, #9, #13; #2, #6, #10, #14; #3, #7, #11, #15; #4, #8, #12, #16.

I mean, as Nick says, you do get a sort of divisional pride but I am not seeing the rivalry component as being a big thing. It's more like this is a really tough division to win, wish I was in a less competitive one. I want to beat everyone--I don't much mind who is in my division. I see the merit in having divisions and teams fighting it out for the division title, but I don't see the downside in switching divisions every year. Owners have hypothesized about rivalries developing, but I don't really see it.

I can live with this.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 29 Dec 2015, 12:12 am

Do we shuffle the divisions or keep them?

This is probably not an issue that requires 3/5 super-majority vote. It is worth voting on though... straight majority should be sufficient. Amendment email will be distributed in a week or so.
Ambassador

Post 29 Dec 2015, 3:10 pm

SLOTerp wrote:Do we shuffle the divisions or keep them?

This is probably not an issue that requires 3/5 super-majority vote. It is worth voting on though... straight majority should be sufficient. Amendment email will be distributed in a week or so.

The main argument for keeping them seems to be because it develops rivalries.

Maybe. But, unless we play our division opponents more than anyone else, our division match-ups aren't much different than anything else.

Candidly, I just want out of my division.
Dignitary

Post 30 Dec 2015, 5:21 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:Candidly, I just want out of my division.

Reminds me of an elcor, for anyone who's familiar with Mass Effect.
Adjutant

Post 31 Dec 2015, 7:46 pm

I like divisions, but would be fine with shuffling them. Happy New Year!
Adjutant

Post 01 Jan 2016, 11:25 am

While I think the argument for keeping divisions stable for rivalry's sake are like searching for an unknown particle in physics--you KNOW it exists but it is seemingly impossible to find in reality--it also feels a bit like whining to complain that I am in a division withJosh and Nick and I can't compete. Oh, it's not fair! I think this is within the commissioner's power to decide because any vote just becomes a determination as to what is in each owner's best interests. There is nothing fair about that.

Anyway, whether divisions are rotated or not I am looking forward to competing in the best fantasy sports league set-up I have been part of, just to keep things in perspective.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 01 Jan 2016, 12:38 pm

freeman3 wrote:I think this is within the commissioner's power to decide because any vote just becomes a determination as to what is in each owner's best interests. There is nothing fair about that.

You assume I can make an unbiased decision. Why wouldn't I just do what's in my best interest? That's really unfair!

Nah... I'll just do a vote with straight majority. That's about as fair as it's going to get.
Adjutant

Post 02 Jan 2016, 11:33 am

Ok . I vote for annual division realignment with top 4 owners by regular season record from prior season in different divisions and everyone else done randomly.
Ambassador

Post 02 Jan 2016, 12:07 pm

freeman3 wrote:Ok . I vote for annual division realignment with top 4 owners by regular season record from prior season in different divisions and everyone else done randomly.

I second.
Administrator

Post 02 Jan 2016, 12:32 pm

Doctor Fate wrote:
freeman3 wrote:Ok . I vote for annual division realignment with top 4 owners by regular season record from prior season in different divisions and everyone else done randomly.

I second.

I recommend the divisions being realigned as follows annually:
1st place
8th place
9th place
16th place

2nd place
7th place
10th place
15th place

3rd place
6th place
11th place
14th place

4th place
5th place
12th place
13th place

A cascading ladder.
Adjutant

Post 02 Jan 2016, 12:43 pm

All equal 34. Makes sense.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 02 Jan 2016, 12:58 pm

Looks good. There will be two votes on this (don't vote yet, please):

1. Re-shuffle divisions next year as put forth by Brad (straight majority).
2. Amend constitution such that this is done every year (3/5 majority).
Dignitary

Post 03 Jan 2016, 9:12 am

I don't really want to do divisions by record at all, but if we're going to do it, I propose we do it over a longer period of time than 1 year, and do it by cumulative record over that period of time. 3 years, which I think is how long we've had the current divisions, would work well imo.
Adjutant

Post 03 Jan 2016, 5:08 pm

Todd's point makes sense to me. A larger sample size could be helpful in balancing divisions.
Adjutant

Post 04 Jan 2016, 12:36 pm

Using three years might more accurately assess a team's performance but I am not sure it is worth having to do all those calculations. Also, the most recent year may tell more about the strength of a team than what they have done over three years. In any case, I am just not sure there is enough value gained there to justify going through three years of records and tallying them up. That sounds really tedious to me. It would already be a pain having to adjust the standings because ESPN looks at our last two weeks as being part of the play-offs. I would even be ok with going off of winning percentage off of the final standings rather than having to do that.