Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 27 Aug 2014, 9:56 am

Another issue:

We committed to two-years in our current divisions. We can now shuffle some folks around if it's warranted. I'm ok with the way they're set up, although if Barry comes back next year I think we should move him to the west and bring Josh to the mid-Atlantic. That's assuming geography will continue to dictate divisional make-up.

Speaking of Barry, if he doesn't come back, I would be in favor of giving Lara the right to retain the team if she so desires. Based on what I indicated at the time, it should go to Kal (on the waitlist) but given Lara's dedication and success combined with the fact she was on the waitlist years ago, I'm inclined to leave the team in her hands if she wants it. Regardless, if either Kal or Lara own the team, there is less justification to switch them out of the mid-Atlantic. They both live here.

Alternatively, if Barry does come back we can expand by two teams (18) and even expand the playoffs (8)! Was that a Todd-like scream of terror I felt reverberating around the nether just now?
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 14 Oct 2014, 8:11 am

Nick has decided upon his division names:

Rhodes = Worcestershire
Embree = Hollandaise
Stanton = Tartar
Orosco = Teriyaki

He also sent a new photo, uploaded to the history page.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 02 Dec 2014, 12:48 pm

It is still a bit premature as not all owners have confirmed yet, but we could look at some possible division shuffling.

Matt is moving back to the west coast, perhaps justifying a move out of the Massachusetts centered division (do I hear cheering from the Bay State?). We could flip him with Nick who does live in the northeast, Maine specifically.

It still leaves Josh out west but what are you gonna do? Everyone else lives on the east coast.

There's no real need to move teams around so it's ok by me if this one withers on the vine.
Adjutant

Post 02 Dec 2014, 1:21 pm

Not that we fear Matt out West...Oh, yeah we do...Wither, wither!
Adjutant

Post 05 Dec 2014, 11:34 am

I'd be interested in hearing other owners' takes on divisions after two years. I've enjoyed having them quite a bit and I think they work well in the head-to-head format. And while I certainly understand Steve's (and others') frustration when division rules change playoff seeding or entrants, I don't feel those frustrations necessitate a change for reasons we've already discussed.

So while I wholeheartedly support keeping divisions, I'm not as strongly wedded to the way division members are allocated. Geography made sense at first for a placeholder, but now that our initial two year experiment is over, I wonder if anyone has new (perhaps less random) ideas.

On the one hand, there's the argument that keeping division members static allows long-term rivalries to develop. On the other hand, changing divisions more frequently could help with competitive balance. I wouldn't be opposed to, for example, being in a division with Josh, Matt, and George (the 2014 playoff semifinalists). It's true that we saw this year how quickly fortunes can change, with my division going from the weakest to the strongest, but I still think there's been an overall trend of several teams (Matt, Todd, Mike, George) making the playoffs repeatedly. Reorganizing divisions by playoff seeding each year would seem to at least increase the likelihood that new teams (ie historically weaker owners and rebuilding teams) get a better shot at the playoffs. And you'd probably still see rivalries of the strongest teams being in a division together frequently.

I'm not necessarily advocating that kind of shakeup. I just think it's interesting to think about. Has anyone else been mulling over anything about divisions?
Adjutant

Post 08 Dec 2014, 7:20 am

I support maintaining geographic divisions as much as possible. I think we need to get Josh into the Mid-Atlantic or Northeast divisions, or force him to move to the Pacific timezone.

Is there a master list of what state (and/or city) everyone is located in? Some have team names not condusive to geographic recognition.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 08 Dec 2014, 10:30 am

Current state of residence (to my knowledge).

Worcestershire
Apple Sauce: Maine
MoCo Foes: Maryland
SB Sluggers: California
Walla Walla Wallaby: Washington

Hollandaise
Lincoln Lumberjacks: California (2015)
Cool E's: Massachusetts
Auburn E'Claires: Massachusetts
Ugly Ducklings: Massachusetts

Tartar
Eastside Bombers: New York
Connecticut Cougars: Connecticut
Otto's vall Bangers: New York
The King's Men: New York

Teriyaki
District Dingers: District of Columbia
Wacker Drive Bleacher Bums: Virginia
Turtle Soup: Virginia
Maryland Longgui: Maryland

If we wish to keep teams geographically close, here are some options with moving Matt out west (Worcestershire):

1. Move Brad Bu north to Hollandaise, and move Josh to Tartar.
2. Move Josh to Teriyaki and move Lara to Hollandaise.
2. Move Nick to Hollandaise.

I side with #1 or #2 for a few reasons. Matt & Nick are friends and would be in the same division. Nick lived in California somewhat recently and I think he should stay put. I think Josh has some New York connections; correct me if I'm wrong, Josh. Lara has some Massachusetts connections and, in fact, is related to Andrew.
Adjutant

Post 08 Dec 2014, 11:25 am

The Tartars aren't ready for Josh "two finals appearances my first two years" Kreiser.

I'm fine with being in a division with Matt. Actually, I'd prefer it. But I can't speak for him, though he did talk smack to me for the first time over Thanksgiving - told me I was just keeping the plaque warm for him. For the record, I was proud of him.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 08 Dec 2014, 11:39 am

schulni wrote:The Tartars aren't ready for Josh "two finals appearances my first two years" Kreiser.

The Teriyakis aren't ready either.

I'm fine with being in a division with Matt. Actually, I'd prefer it. But I can't speak for him, though he did talk smack to me for the first time over Thanksgiving - told me I was just keeping the plaque warm for him. For the record, I was proud of him.

Anything to spice up your friendship!
Adjutant

Post 09 Dec 2014, 7:40 am

SLOTerp wrote:Current state of residence (to my knowledge).

Worcestershire
Apple Sauce: Maine
MoCo Foes: Maryland
SB Sluggers: California
Walla Walla Wallaby: Washington

Hollandaise
Lincoln Lumberjacks: California (2015)
Cool E's: Massachusetts
Auburn E'Claires: Massachusetts
Ugly Ducklings: Massachusetts

Tartar
Eastside Bombers: New York
Connecticut Cougars: Connecticut
Otto's vall Bangers: New York
The King's Men: New York

Teriyaki
District Dingers: District of Columbia
Wacker Drive Bleacher Bums: Virginia
Turtle Soup: Virginia
Maryland Longgui: Maryland

I think I'd suggest putting the Dingers in Tartar, Cougars in Hollandaise, Lumberjacks in Worcestershire, and Foes in Teriyaki. That gives us The West, The Potomac Rivalry, Capital of Culture vs. Capital of Free World, and New England. Sorry, but the Sauce are going to have to move west of the Mississippi to keep things balanced. I don't make the rules, I just live by 'em.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 09 Dec 2014, 8:57 am

I think Todd actually lives in upstate NY. How much culture will you find there?

I think I prefer Laura in the same division as her cousin in Hollandaise. I'll check to see if she's from Mass. And anything that creates potentially bad feelings amongst family members is always a bonus!
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 09 Dec 2014, 5:32 pm

Ok, so Lara's from Jersey. She could go to Hollandaise to hang with her cousin or Tartar where she can be the butt of Jersey jokes from the city folk. Brad would slide north into Hollandaise.
Adjutant

Post 09 Dec 2014, 5:40 pm

Why is geography a significant factor? It's not like we have to take road trips to play each other so geographic proximity does not seem like a big deal. If you look at the records of the teams in the four divisions over the past three years the divisions balance each other out pretty nicely: Jose and Nick in Worcestershire, Matt and Steve in Hollandaise, George and Todd in Tartar, and Ryan and Mike in Tartar have probably done the best over the past three years. So if the divisions are pretty balanced...why mess around with them?
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 09 Dec 2014, 8:09 pm

Geography is how the divisions were determined in the first place. It's mostly an aesthetics thing.

I can think of three options for how we deal with divisions:

1. Re-balance based on competitiveness. There hasn't been much talk about it and it's not as straightforward as it seems.

2. Shuffle teams around based on changing geography, for example, when new owners arrive or old ones move. The rivalry dynamic cannot be entirely dismissed either. Five owners, which includes me, live in the DC area. I see each of them (except Lara, whom I've never met) about once a year and we're hoping to convene for the auction this year. I think being in the same division ramps up the pressure on doing well under these circumstances. It's more fun.

3. Doing nothing. I'm ok with this. The problem is, nothing is happening in the league right now, so... I'm in tinker mode.
Adjutant

Post 10 Dec 2014, 6:20 am

If geography is most important, it seems switching Matt and Josh (I'd say Matt and me but Josh has a better track record than I do and I want to be in a division with him) is an easy fix that gets us as close as possible. Ryan's right that I'm the outlier in that case and should move back to California, which I'll admit is tempting, but I don't think my family's going to go for it.