Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Dignitary

Post 17 Jul 2012, 7:53 am

Has anybody played the Imperium Diplomacy variant? It is based around the Germanic incursions into the Roman Empire and consists only of the Germanic tribes. They start with no home centers and must race each other to get one of the initial centers right at turn 1. This sounds like musical chairs with battle axes (as I have said elsewhere). In fact, the game looks like it would have a high incidences of temporary alliances, stabs, and changes in status. The variant is for 6 players.

I have not played it, but I'm thinking of GMing a forum-based game. I found an Otto version of the game on vDip and asked Brad if he could install it on Otto. In the mean time, I thought it might be fun to do here.

Let me know if you are interested in playing this variant. I'd use the standard 5-day turns with 24-hr adjustment periods.

You can view an explanation of the variant here, which includes some sample orders, owing to the special rules for rivers and support: http://www.me-asal.de/imperium/index_eng.htm.
Ambassador

Post 17 Jul 2012, 10:04 am

it looks interesting. I'm not sure about the dynamics around the Bosphorus.

Byzantine and the Aegean are adjacent, but so are Thrace and Galatia - over the Aegean.

So a fleet can be in the Aegean and go past both Thrace and Galatia to Byzantium, but has no effect at all on moves across the Aegean?

Where Baetica and Mauretania 'meet' is also the border between two sea areas, so you can see it as a kind of 4-corner position, so it's ok as it goes and makes sense to treat it as a 'river'.

Perhaps I should play and if you guarantee I can be powerful in the East I'll see how to subvert the game using it :-)
Emissary

Post 17 Jul 2012, 10:26 am

Somebody ran a game of that variant here a few years back I believe. It does look interesting, although also quite likely to result in a number of early eliminations.
Dignitary

Post 18 Jul 2012, 7:12 pm

danivon wrote:So a fleet can be in the Aegean and go past both Thrace and Galatia to Byzantium, but has no effect at all on moves across the Aegean?

More or less, true. The fleet could move into BYZ and the army into GAL without any cross-effect. However, if both the fleet in AEG and army in GAL moved to THR, the fleet would get in but the army would bounce! I believe this follows the general rule of the variant that says a unit moving across a river (or water) loses half of its power. On the other hand, they would both bounce if they attempted to enter BYZ at the same time, as per Standard rules.