Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Dignitary

Post 29 Mar 2011, 7:21 am

Please excuse the cross-community advertisement. I am GMing Baron Von Powells '1900' variant over on DipCorps (http://www.diplomaticcorp.com/) and just wanted to give Redscapers notice of the fact, as I've only just posted it, so it is currently 'recruiting'. In any case, I've re-worked the map and would welcome and critique.
http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa28 ... oof0_6.png
Thanks D
Dignitary

Post 29 Mar 2011, 7:28 am

(image linking is restricted to 600 px high (not big enough to IMG link any of my maps!)
Administrator

Post 29 Mar 2011, 11:18 am

Douglas,

Were you able to use the Upload Attachment feature (under the Submit buttons)?
1900_Proof0_6.png
1900 Variant
Administrator

Post 29 Mar 2011, 11:20 am

BTW, I am a big fan of the 1900 variant and will be working on getting it imported into Otto.

Also, I really like the blocks as units. I'll be doing something similar in regards to how Otto prints maps as well. Nice job!
Dignitary

Post 29 Mar 2011, 3:40 pm

Cool thanks Chad. I didn't try the upload feature as I'd maxxed out my allowance on the old site and thought it better to start this time round as I mean to go on. However I'm slightly annoyed that photobucket keeps shrinking my pics when they are linked. No problem with mailing the maps to players direct of course though
Administrator

Post 29 Mar 2011, 5:14 pm

There is no maximum of disk space on uploads for this server. Feel free to use the Upload option for your posts.
Dignitary

Post 03 Apr 2011, 6:56 am

Although one should never rule out the possibility of ironclad portage, I think you make a great point Ruffhaus. I'll send this on to Baron Von Powell.
Dignitary

Post 18 Apr 2011, 1:57 am

I forgot to post Baron's response to this one (hope he doesn't mind my repost here!):

"Yes, someone did bring this post to my attention before. I disagree with Ruffhaus's contention that the Gibraltar/Morocco relationship is "illogical in terms of it's application." I don't think anyone has a problem rationalizing how the land portion of the Gibraltar space, the renowned Rock of Gibraltar, divides Spain's coast in two. I fail to see, however, how the water portion of the Gibraltar space should have any impact on Morocco. I consider the relationship between Gibraltar and Morocco to be similar to the relationship that everyone is familiar with in Standard: Denmark and Sweden. Even though Denmark touches Sweden so that an army can cross back and forth between the two nations, Sweden has only one coast, not two."

Seems like a reasonable response to me. In addition, I'd like to advertise the fact that there are still two empty spots for this game, if anyone fancies taking part in what appears to be a fascinating variant, on a beautifully recreated map ;)
Dignitary

Post 20 Apr 2011, 10:49 am

Well - I guess the consistency of the playability isn't a problem - just as long as the inconsistency actually improves playability. WHether it does or not, is not something I'd put ,yself at the head of the queue to answer :) Interesting to hear your thoughts Ruffhaus - do you contend that your 'correct application' might improve the variant as a whole?
Emissary

Post 07 May 2011, 8:34 pm

If anything, the coasts that should be added are to Morocco imho. Giving Morocco an East and West Coast and then making Gibraltar a space like Denmark would make it a very interesting dynamic.
Adjutant

Post 05 May 2014, 5:45 am

Read this old thread and couldn't help wanting to weigh in, being a big fan of 1900 (which made Standard obsolete in my book).

Were 1900 set after the Franco-Spanish partition of Morocco in 1905, I could just see a case for adding "Spanish Morocco" to the Gibraltar space, thus making the remainder of Morocco, "French Morocco" bicoastal.

But the variant is set in 1900. There I find the "Rock" dividing Spain's coasts, while not doing the same to Morocco absolutely the right way to go! The "Rock" was always - and still is to this day! - a thorn in Spain's side. Not so with Morocco. The Rock is located on the Spanish side of the "Pillars of Hercules".

As for Gibraltar being a convoyable space, note that it has a higher portion of water than say DEN or CON in Standard. As such, making it convoyable strikes me equally as the right call. Just because there's no such space in Standard does not matter. Other variants do feature such spaces. And adjucation software such as Realpolitik support this space type as well.
Dignitary

Post 03 Jul 2014, 5:03 pm

charlesf wrote:Read this old thread and couldn't help wanting to weigh in, being a big fan of 1900 (which made Standard obsolete in my book).

Charles, I've been reading the Gamer's Guide to 1900 that Powell wrote for his variant. I'm excited to play it. Would you be willing to GM a game here on Redscape? It would be wonderful if you could start one real soon. Given the completion of the recent tournament and the soon-to-end NWO variant. there should be enough players willing to sign up!

George
Emissary

Post 07 Jul 2014, 8:15 am

Pretty sure I've played it a few times. It's a much more interesting map than standard.
Adjutant

Post 09 Aug 2014, 4:32 pm

georgeatkins wrote:
charlesf wrote:Read this old thread and couldn't help wanting to weigh in, being a big fan of 1900 (which made Standard obsolete in my book).

Charles, I've been reading the Gamer's Guide to 1900 that Powell wrote for his variant. I'm excited to play it. Would you be willing to GM a game here on Redscape? It would be wonderful if you could start one real soon. Given the completion of the recent tournament and the soon-to-end NWO variant. there should be enough players willing to sign up!

George

Been a month since this post. Didn't see it earlier.

As you know, George, I'm focused on running my own variants. 1648 and 1936. Might bring them one day to Redscape.

I suppose I could run a 1900 game sometime. But I guess I would want to run it on an automated service. Like the DPJudge. Makes GMing more the job of being a moderator.
Dignitary

Post 09 Aug 2014, 6:30 pm

charlesf wrote:
georgeatkins wrote:

George

Been a month since this post. Didn't see it earlier.

As you know, George, I'm focused on running my own variants. 1648 and 1936. Might bring them one day to Redscape.

I suppose I could run a 1900 game sometime. But I guess I would want to run it on an automated service. Like the DPJudge. Makes GMing more the job of being a moderator.

Hi, Charles!
Wow, I forgot about this email, too. And it would be fun to have you GM a game here at some point in the future - one of YOUR games, of course! :) I did to hector Baron to GM the 1900, but he was tied up. Anyway, we have a game of 1900 now moving into 1901. Adios!
George