Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 06 Aug 2015, 3:16 pm

Party at Hacker's! Party at Hacker's! Don't forget the kegs and the ping-pong balls!!!

I was thinking, if I could get enough interested parties (six others at least) I could host a game at my place in Maryland--21784 if you want to map it to see where I am. Is there anybody within driving distance who would be interested? I remember we tried to get a FTF game together a while ago but it didn't work out. We could (again) try to pick a good day that is cool with everybody.

I remember Orange is in the Philly general area, or was, and came down to a couple of games at SLOTerp's. If you're reading this, Orange, you would not have to drive quite as far.

I'd rustle up some pizza money and hors d'oeurves and ask [bribe] the family to scatter for most of the day. Hope everybody is dog-friendly (however, he's an ancient golden retriever so he won't bother anybody; probably sleep most of the time we're all here).

Takers? SLOTerp, can you be free sometime....er, ever? I know you're a busy man but we would be happy to have you over again!

I have a friend who has played Diplomacy before who is local so that's one (or two). I could even, if we end up with 8 of us, GM the game (would be preferable for me to invite SEVEN others, just in case one doesn't make it because that makes for an imbalanced game! And if two do not make it, Hacker could play and GM.)

So if you're in the region of the United States (or hell, if you're not and you do not mind coming over this far!) it's zip code 21784 in Maryland: Sykesville-Eldersburg area of Carroll County; about 20 miles south of the border with Pennsylvania, and 15 northwest of City of Baltimore, and 30 miles north of downtown Washington DC; 120 miles from Philadelphia--a shorter route for Orange this time since he won't have to drive through or around south of Baltimore on [insane] I-695 traffic or the I-95 tunnels. Says 64 miles for SLOTerp; and probably something similar for a few of the guys who came to the last game I was at at his home.

So let's see if we can actually pull this off this time! We have a separate dining room, and lots of other places to scatter and talk privately. Again, if 8 show up I would not mind, as the host, taking the impartial role if need be.

If too FEW come, I can always show you Republic of Rome, if interested, or one of you can bring a "backup" game (because quite frankly I do not like playing Standard Diplomacy without seven players and making Italy and/or Germany neutrals. Makes for an unbalanced and less enjoyable game). I know the rules to that (Republic) pretty well. And as people are eliminated, I have other games, or any of you could bring other games as "backups".

As I said it's likely we'll have the house to ourselves (mostly....the remainder WILL be quiet or ELSE) and I'll provide the break-refreshments, and plenty of rooms in the house to secret away to.

So what do you all say???
Adjutant

Post 10 Aug 2015, 11:56 am

All right, what if I had beer? SOMEBODY has to be within a state-and-a-half at least of Maryland!
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 11 Aug 2015, 7:03 am

Sorry, Colin but I just don't see any empty dates on my horizon. If or when I do, they tend to be last minute.

The last time I organized a Redscape game was years ago when there were a lot more of us around. I haven't seen some of those folks here in a long while (Bobby, Scott, etc...). I doubt you'll get very far if you are exclusively marketing to Redscape.

I suggest contacting a local meet-up group. There are at least three active meet-up gaming groups in my area. I just took my daughters to an open gaming session this past Sunday sponsored by one of them. It was held at our library with ten gamers in attendance. We played Niagara and Machi-Koro. I get notifications all the time about planned sessions. These sessions are also a great way to try out new games.

Boardgames are in another golden era right now so strike while it's hot. While most are playing Euros or Ameritrash, I'm betting that with some effort you could round up 7 Dip players. If not, well, Twilight Struggle is the highest ranked game on BGG - I'm sure you could find an opponent for that. The only time I played was at your house - someday I'll let you get your revenge!

If you are able to put something together, let me know. There's always a chance...

Mike
Administrator

Post 11 Aug 2015, 8:51 am

I had done similar in the past driving down 6 hours to Philly and it was kinda fun meeting so many new faces. But Maryland is even further for me and just not in the cards but I wish it were more possible for me. Plus, Summer is a really hard time to get anyone together with so much going on. Maybe the Fall would work better? (for others, it's still too far for me)
Adjutant

Post 11 Aug 2015, 10:16 am

I understand. Of course, there was no particular time horizon in mind. This could be planned WELL in advance. Then again we did try that once, and lots of people dropped out at the last minute. But with all the time on my hands these days I'm totally flexible.

I wonder if Board Game Geek is a good place to find players to meet up in a general area? There's a place nearby where games are played frequently at this game store, but I have not seen them playing Diplomacy before.

Guess it was a nice idea, not without merit certainly.

Still, pass the word along to friends you may have in the area, and take note this can be planned well in advance. NOT open to just redscapers!! if you guys know any people who know any people let them know.

Perhaps I could get some college students in the area. After all I did offer free beer... :cool:

Yes, we need a T.S. rematch. And I know the rules about perfectly now!

But I certainly can't wait until the next standard game is done on Redscape.

BTW, is there some sort of database with massive records of postal and other Diplomacy games I can study from? Of course, those do not typically have end of game statements and you do not know what they were saying in negotiations, you can't statistically quantify THAT, naturally!

But like I said, so much time on my hands these days (pretty sad) that such a gathering can be virtually any time, to anybody's convenience, and doesn't have to be just red-scapers. (Though it would be nice to see you all again!)

I'm trying to think when the last game at SLOTerp's was, and to whom I lost, hmmm....

I've heard of the tea & knife society. They arrange mostly ftf games, don't they? I wouldn't mind driving to DC or northern Virginia again for such a FTF game. The more practice I get with FTF (and email) Diplomacy the better.

Well thank you for responding, at least, and pointing me in the right direction. But again, my time is totally flexible so tell people you know who know people and let them know there's this dude in Maryland who'd love a good FTF game some time!

Peace, (or war)

---The Right Honourable James Hacker, MP (aka Colin)
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 11 Aug 2015, 10:28 am

Here's an opportunity in October to hone your ftf skills. You mentioned Potomac Tea & Knife society - their annual Tempest in a Teapot is coming up in Silver Spring.

http://www.ptks.org/
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 11 Aug 2015, 10:37 am

And here are all the boardgame meet-up groups within 25 miles of Sykesville. If you've got time on your hands, there are plenty of opportunities in the Baltimore area.

http://board-games.meetup.com/cities/us/md/sykesville/
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 11 Aug 2015, 5:41 pm

Congress of Gamers in Rockville, MD on September 26th & 27th.

This one just came across my radar. There's a very good chance I'll be there for the 2nd day. The fellow who is updating Speed Circuit (re-branding to Championship Formula Racing) is running a game on Sunday. As you can see in the forums, that game has generated most of my Redscape activity over the past year and I have a great interest in playing live.

They haven't nailed down this year's schedule of games yet but they do show last year's to give you an idea of what to expect.

http://emsps.com/cog/
Adjutant

Post 18 Aug 2015, 4:12 am

I cannot seem to find where to "sign up" on the PTKS website...

Diplomacy doesn't seem to be on the schedule for the Congress in Rockville so far.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 18 Aug 2015, 10:22 am

Re: PTKS. Yes, that website blows. It looks like you can pay/register for the tourney at least. Anyone around here have a contact for the PTKissers?

Re: Congress. No, I don't think they play Diplomacy. Many other cool games, though.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 19 Aug 2015, 6:05 pm

Speaking of non-Diplomacy tournaments, here's one outside of Bawlmer (Pikesville to be exact) that focuses on Euro-games:

http://www.euroquestcon.com/

The dates are November 4th to the 8th.
Adjutant

Post 25 Aug 2015, 9:02 pm

Gawd, its $35 to reserve a place (Tempest in a Teapot)....hmmm.....
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 26 Aug 2015, 5:20 am

JimHackerMP wrote:Gawd, its $35 to reserve a place (Tempest in a Teapot)....hmmm.....

And for that, you can enjoy being beat into submission by some of the finest Diplomacy players in the country. There may even be a few international players.
Adjutant

Post 26 Aug 2015, 7:29 am

Hmmm I wonder if anyone from Redscape comes there, lol...yeah I'd enjoy that actually. Like I said (or I think I said) "it's my favorite game I love to suck at."

or at which to suck. Whatever. :cool:
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 26 Aug 2015, 3:46 pm

JimHackerMP wrote:Hmmm I wonder if anyone from Redscape comes there, lol...

I went once ten or so years ago just to observe. I met Steve there (Doc Fate) - he might still attend.