Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 26 Aug 2015, 5:27 am

Wow, that's quite a bit especially since you can read it at the Archives for free. I own Calhamer's book on the game - it's not so much a 'how to' book but rather, a look at how the game was developed and the historical period the game represents (and doesn't). It's a lot cheaper!

http://www.amazon.com/Calhamer-Diplomacy-Boardgame-Diplomatic-History/dp/1585007587
Administrator

Post 26 Aug 2015, 10:50 am

One thing that I thought amusing?
JimHacker mentioned getting an older game with the plastic stars and anchors. That is the game I have and learned on. But the one and only tourney I went to had a really big "issue" with that particular version. It was seemingly universally despised! I even heard a few comment on the plastic pieces being an abomination, nothing but wooden pieces were used for the tourney. Like it really matters? Yes, it really did matter to these guys!
Adjutant

Post 26 Aug 2015, 4:53 pm

Ditto. But the reason I like it is because they stand up, and thereby do not obscure the names of the provinces they're sitting in. I owned AH's "Deluxe" Diplomacy years ago but stupidly sold it (wooden blocks but came with stickers of the countries' flags you could put on the blocks). It came with a rulebook that included a sort of truncated version of the Gamers' Guides.
Adjutant

Post 28 Aug 2015, 7:54 am

Well I ought to ask everybody, which editions/manufactures of Diplomacy do you own?

I own THREE of the ones sold in the United States.

1999 Hasbro/AH
1985 AH "bookcase" size-box (bought earlier this month, with Gamer's Guide included)
1961 Games Research (*might* be 1971 but I am fairly sure it's 1961)

Why three? Why not.

While I like wooden blocks, I wouldn't make a fuss about it. And personally I love the cast-iron cannon and battleships of the 1999 Hasbro version (and the fact that there are more of the pieces, less likely to run out and have to use a defeated country's pieces!) as well as the little supply center-markers...

I would only go so far as to quibble if the pieces were ALL cardboard, like the most recent one by WOTC/Hasbro/AH (as it's designated). They just kinda look like each other....but I guess it keeps costs down!
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 28 Aug 2015, 8:19 am

1976 AH Bookcase version.

I like the wooden blocks. My French ones (pale bluish green) were so close in color to the Italian ones that I had to paint a baby blue stripe on them. I also like the conference maps. Do they still include those?
Adjutant

Post 28 Aug 2015, 8:50 am

in the 2008/cardboard counters version? Dunno. I haven't seen the actual components yet.

But the 1999 one has a pad of 7 conference maps, yes. They're perfectly square and look just like the board. With one exception: it shows the official abbreviations of all the provinces and bodies of water, rather than the full names, which is probably both good and bad for new players.

I've scanned both of course. That way I can print out a crap-ton of both as needed. Hopefully I'll actually get to USE them, if and when I ever get that group together in my area...

Would you like me to email you the jpeg or whatever scan I made of the 1999 conference map? It's actually pretty neat looking.

I remember playing with your set. I liked AH's "bookcase" size games, always so convenient to store them, eh?
Adjutant

Post 28 Aug 2015, 1:44 pm

Yeah my Games Research edition, 1961 probably (but possibly 1971), has wooden blocks. But only 8 armies and 8 fleets, same as all other editions from 1961 to 1985 (not sure if Deluxe Diplomacy had > 16 units per player but I doubt it). They are nicer looking of course. So, including Wizards of the Coast/AH/Hasbro in 2008; there have been 8 American editions of the game. Wow. That says a lot for Diplomacy doesn't it?

I still have yet to find people to play in the Sykesville area. This guy wants me to play the new Supremacy 2020 with him at a game store in Glen Burnie, MD (outside Baltimore) some weekend, and I think I'll ask him if he knows any interested parties. But that is not really close to Sykesville...was hoping to create a group that could meet at the local library public room or something some days or whenever....
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 14 Nov 2016, 6:48 pm

A fun little article from last year in The Independent (UK).

http://www.independent.co.uk/extras/puzzles-and-games/treachery-s-the-way-to-win-at-diplomacy-which-makes-it-just-like-the-real-thing-10485417.html
Adjutant

Post 11 Apr 2017, 6:48 am

Sassenach wrote:This is still the best thing I've ever read about Diplomacy:

http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/god.htm

This is my personal favourite:

http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/resources/humour/coast_moscow.htm