Join In On The Action "Register Here" To View The Forums

Already a Member Login Here

Board index Forum Index
Adjutant

Post 16 Oct 2017, 7:52 am

I have Sharp's book on Diplomacy, as well as the Gamer's Guide from Avalon Hill, but books can't explain everything. Any advice any of you can give me for playing Russia? I have actually never been Russia before.
Adjutant

Post 16 Oct 2017, 12:28 pm

Be clear in your own mind what your main strategy is, whether that is to go north, south or through the middle.

Also, if you're ever in doubt what to build - go for A (Moscow)
Dignitary

Post 17 Oct 2017, 2:01 pm

JimHackerMP wrote:I have Sharp's book on Diplomacy, as well as the Gamer's Guide from Avalon Hill, but books can't explain everything. Any advice any of you can give me for playing Russia? I have actually never been Russia before.

Well, don't expect everything here. THere are numerous strategies for Russia available online, such as the Diplomacy Archive http://www.diplomacy-archive.com/resources/strategy.htm. There you can read general topics or click on the country link near the bottom to see articles about your country of interest.

That resource should keep you busy for some time and give you a lot to ponder.

George
Adjutant

Post 23 Oct 2017, 2:03 am

Thanks guys. It's on playdiplomacy.com and the game is called Hacker's Grand Design, if you want to check it out, but we still haven't moved for Spring 1901 yet.
Adjutant

Post 30 Oct 2017, 5:03 am

God is my situation complicated now. As far as the southeast triangle is concerned, you just dont know whom to trust until the orders are read out. Not even sure who I want to go with, Turkey or Austria, and whether I should nail Germany or not.
Adjutant

Post 30 Oct 2017, 5:05 am

I wonder if I should have said this publicly on the net. Hopefully none of you are also in that game.
Dignitary

Post 30 Oct 2017, 5:41 am

JimHackerMP wrote:God is my situation complicated now. As far as the southeast triangle is concerned, you just dont know whom to trust until the orders are read out. Not even sure who I want to go with, Turkey or Austria, and whether I should nail Germany or not.

Trust is not as important right away as trading favors and finding common cause. Trust will more or less follow, to a degree.

There are a few things to keep in mind:
1. What do you want to accomplish right away and who can help you get there?
2. Who can you help out in order to help gain that person's support? Sometimes it's better to give than receive.
3. What is your ultimate goal: solo; survival; just have fun and enjoy the experience.

Items 1 and 2 are not necessarily contradictory, and #2 may be more important and actually help you attain item 1. But item #3 is what drives the other two.

A lot depends upon the other players and how you feel about them (through what they say and do). Little things add up. And do not neglect discussions with Italy!

George
Adjutant

Post 30 Oct 2017, 7:09 am

I've never won a game of Diplomacy before. It could be because I have fun screwing around and what not. But maybe I should take the attitude that finally, it is possible for Mr. Hacker to win this time.

I at least want to survive. That would be nice rather than being the first or second power eliminated.

There is a "notepad" on this website you can use to jot down your thoughts, and I've been keeping a journal of sorts.

1. Gain a few suply centers. I already have Rumania and Sweden. Budapest might be good next. perhaps a little visit to cousin Fritz in Vienna, or even cousin Willie in Berlin. (Or perhaps we could rename the Turkish capital "Colinstantinople" ;)

I've communicated with Italy but we haven't reached anything concrete. I need to find a way to light a fire under his ass, and get him to invade Trieste, for shits and giggles. A weak Austria would be good for me.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 30 Oct 2017, 10:04 am

I went and looked at your game, Colin. You have many options with no pressure from England in the north, an apparent DMZ in Galicia, and a bottled up Turkey.

I don't think I've ever played Russia but, from my untrained eye, you're looking solid early on.

Have fun!
Dignitary

Post 30 Oct 2017, 10:50 am

JimHackerMP wrote:I've never won a game of Diplomacy before. It could be because I have fun screwing around and what not. But maybe I should take the attitude that finally, it is possible for Mr. Hacker to win this time.

I at least want to survive. That would be nice rather than being the first or second power eliminated.

There is a "notepad" on this website you can use to jot down your thoughts, and I've been keeping a journal of sorts.

1. Gain a few suply centers. I already have Rumania and Sweden. Budapest might be good next. perhaps a little visit to cousin Fritz in Vienna, or even cousin Willie in Berlin. (Or perhaps we could rename the Turkish capital "Colinstantinople" ;)

I've communicated with Italy but we haven't reached anything concrete. I need to find a way to light a fire under his ass, and get him to invade Trieste, for shits and giggles. A weak Austria would be good for me.

Colin,
In addition to what SLOTerp writes, one of the best ways to get somebody to help you is to help them first. You can't really go at this on your own the whole way. Offer to create a diversion; offer direct support if you can. For example, propose a detailed plan covering a 2-4 year period how and your intended ally can both benefit. You might, for example, sell Turkey on co-invading Austria, then sell the same idea to Italy. If you all eliminate the arch-duke, then Russia picks Italy or Turkey to go after the other. In the north, ensure Germany is more concerned with England or France, but leave enough units in the north to protect yourself. And take Sweden if you have not done so.
Adjutant

Post 30 Oct 2017, 1:28 pm

All good advice coming down the pipe.

For my two-penn'rth worth, unless you're committed to a juggernaut - which clearly you are not - Italy is a better long term ally than Turkey.

Are Austria & Germany working together or is Germany doing well with England or France against the other? Unless Germany is clearly on the up, I would take down Austria first.
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 30 Oct 2017, 2:11 pm

Here's the pre-build map (Winter 1901) from his game. I don't know if it's kosher to post this here but I don't recognize any of the listed players and, besides... Colin is one of us!

Dignitary

Post 30 Oct 2017, 3:57 pm

Build F Stp (nc) !
Adjutant

Post 31 Oct 2017, 1:57 pm

Based on that map, I'd build F St.P (n.c.) and support that into Norway from Sweden.

I'd also build A Mos and move that to Sev by sliding the F Sev to Armenia.

This would be very effective if Austria is pressuring Bulgaria and/or if Italy can be persuaded to start to head East.

Giving up the Black Sea wouldn't be a risk as Turkey has no build.

Any other suggestions?
NASCAR Driver (Pro V)

Post 31 Oct 2017, 3:07 pm

Deeply_Dippy wrote:Giving up the Black Sea wouldn't be a risk as Turkey has no build.

Turkey has one build in Ankara. It'll most likely be an army, though. Don't see many fleet builds there.